• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Hud For The Elio

Do you like the Elio?

• Yes

Votes: 61 83.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 12 16.4%

• Total voters

DailyLunatic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looked over the iScout site (http://www.spadetechs.com/) looking for how the iScout was powered, mounted etc. ...all assuming this is the HUD Elio will be using...

Site says, "iSCOUT is powered from your car through the on-board diagnostics (OBD II) port."

So, I read that as, "You are going to have a cable draped across your car to power this device"

I've gone through the vids and cannot 'see' anything. Did I miss something?

-sterling

raptor213

Elio Addict
Reaction score
FWIW, your timing is impeccable because Elio released a new Momentum blog email tonight just before 7pm EST confirming the suspicions of many readers on ElioOwners.com that the HUD made available on the Configurator a number of weeks ago was in fact the iScout by Spade Tech.

Addressing your concern about the presence of a cord/wire obscenely strewn across your dashboard, it can be tucked neatly into existing crevices and material joints inherent in the design of the dashboard, almost to the point of not being visible unless you intentionally sought it out.

I have a ScanGauge II (https://www.scangauge.com/) that sits on top of my dash.

[Justifiably, I have no good reason for having it in my '09 Jeep Patriot 4x2 with a 2.0L 4-cylinder that's too weak to tow/haul anything of significance. It's primary benefit rests in providing average and instantaneous fuel economy data, since my OEM dash lacks that functionality. But my last vehicle was a '98 Dodge Durango that I ultimately moved across the country with, and in so doing, knowingly towed an overloaded U-Haul trailer through a few mountain ranges. The instantaneous access to intake air temperature, cylinder head temperature, engine oil temperature, coolant fluid temperature, exhaust gas temperature, absolute manifold pressure, etc that my OEM dashboard instrumentation lacked was a real life-saver in driving defensively and carefully so as to not overlimit my vehicle.]

Anyway, a few discrete zip ties and/or strategically placed Velcro keeps the OBD II cable stuck in valleys, cracks, and crevices of my dashboard, instrument cluster, and steering wheel column to a point where it'S essentially out of sight and out of mind.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
FWIW, your timing is impeccable because Elio released a new Momentum blog email tonight just before 7pm EST confirming the suspicions of many readers on ElioOwners.com that the HUD made available on the Configurator a number of weeks ago was in fact the iScout by Spade Tech.

Addressing your concern about the presence of a cord/wire obscenely strewn across your dashboard, it can be tucked neatly into existing crevices and material joints inherent in the design of the dashboard, almost to the point of not being visible unless you intentionally sought it out.

I have a ScanGauge II (https://www.scangauge.com/) that sits on top of my dash.

[Justifiably, I have no good reason for having it in my '09 Jeep Patriot 4x2 with a 2.0L 4-cylinder that's too weak to tow/haul anything of significance. It's primary benefit rests in providing average and instantaneous fuel economy data, since my OEM dash lacks that functionality. But my last vehicle was a '98 Dodge Durango that I ultimately moved across the country with, and in so doing, knowingly towed an overloaded U-Haul trailer through a few mountain ranges. The instantaneous access to intake air temperature, cylinder head temperature, engine oil temperature, coolant fluid temperature, exhaust gas temperature, absolute manifold pressure, etc that my OEM dashboard instrumentation lacked was a real life-saver in driving defensively and carefully so as to not overlimit my vehicle.]

Anyway, a few discrete zip ties and/or strategically placed Velcro keeps the OBD II cable stuck in valleys, cracks, and crevices of my dashboard, instrument cluster, and steering wheel column to a point where it'S essentially out of sight and out of mind.
That's the way to do it; same trick that custom installers use if that device is going to be used in multiple vehicles.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's also the possibility of the HUD coming with a Bluetooth transmitter off the OBDII port for a completely wireless application. Do we know for sure whether it's wired or wireless?

raptor213

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's also the possibility of the HUD coming with a Bluetooth transmitter off the OBDII port for a completely wireless application. Do we know for sure whether it's wired or wireless?

My only reason for strongly believing that it's a wired connection is the fact that the product FAQ page indicates the iScout HUD draws its electrical power from the OBD II port as well as diagnostic data.

If we're to expect a wireless transfer of electrical energy, then perhaps somebody has brought some of Nikola Tesla's buried patents to life!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
My only reason for strongly believing that it's a wired connection is the fact that the product FAQ page indicates the iScout HUD draws its electrical power from the OBD II port as well as diagnostic data.

If we're to expect a wireless transfer of electrical energy, then perhaps somebody has brought some of Nikola Tesla's buried patents to life!
Good point. I always love when they advertise "wireless" cameras for security systems; you may have a wireless video signal, but you still need to run a power line to it.

Top Bottom