• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Front Wheels Setup

ST13Fred

Elio Addict
Reaction score
[/quote].....letting one of the tires barely miss it on the outside edge of the pothole, while the rear tire misses it on the inside edge of the pothole. You can do it either side, and it should be at least a two foot buffer from the center of the car to the center of either tire. Hope it makes sense, but can"t draw a pic right now. :) [/quote]

Exactly the point I made on another thread. Elio, has the same track as an Accord. With the 135 tire, there is 28" between the inside wall of the front tire and either adjoining wall of the rear tire.
Hitting the edge of a pothole is far better than hitting it dead on.

This has been a very bad winter and potholes are a huge problem now in all the snow belt states. Hell, we got a steel plate or 3 covering one roadway through a small river town w/reduced speed limit.

Last edited:

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
.....letting one of the tires barely miss it on the outside edge of the pothole, while the rear tire misses it on the inside edge of the pothole. You can do it either side, and it should be at least a two foot buffer from the center of the car to the center of either tire. Hope it makes sense, but can"t draw a pic right now. :) [/quote]

Exactly the point I made on another thread. Elio, has the same track as an Accord. With the 135 tire, there is 28" between the inside wall of the front tire and either adjoining wall of the rear tire.
Hitting the edge of a pothole is far better than hitting it dead on.

This has been a very bad winter and potholes are a huge problem now in all the snow belt states.[/quote]
You fellas are just a little to concerned about potholes! Will it stop you from buying the ELIO? I think not! I don't really care if it becomes an obstacle course of potholes, I'll zigzag my way riding my ELIO! :D

Brainmatter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are only 5 states that now require helmets for this vehicle and I strongly suspect that will change by the time Elio rolls off the line. So take a deep breath and just relax. This crisis, too, will pass. :) Z

BTW Elio is a she. I know because I asked her and I will stick to that explanation no matter what! LOL
Thank goodness! I've always preferred being in a 'she'. ;)
I've never been in a 'he'. Not as a complete human anyway. Not going to be either. Not ever. But to each their own.
Sorry, I had to go there.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since you are going to be sitting on the centerline, you will instinctively know exactly where that rear tire is tracking. I think the learning curve will be short and shallow for most of us.
That is what a driver in one of the videos on EM said. In fact he said it was more difficult adjusting back to "normal" driving than it was adjusting to Elio driving.

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
now as to helmets limiting sales of the EE. I will riddle you this Batman>>>" Would you wear a full helmet if you could double the mileage on your current vehicle?

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
now as to helmets limiting sales of the EE. I will riddle you this Batman>>>" Would you wear a full helmet if you could double the mileage on your current vehicle?
Helmet, Speedos, Homer Simpson House Slippers, and a smile....all the way to the bank. :cool:
I think you need to think of the millions of people that want and/ or need to show up to work without helmet head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Getting back to the original posts on the drivetrain - I too have owned three Vegas in about 3 years. 30K was tops before the engines went, usually by cracking the block wide open and throwing a rod. I am very familiar with Plasma coated arc spray techniques, and I will note that while this may improve the wearability, it is only a band aid, not a fix. Evenly applied application of the arc spray is difficult, even with robots, and the resulting deposit on the surface is not consistent in depth. After machining, this leads to hot spots where the coating is thinner.
I solved the Vega issues by having steel sleeves put in the engine. It then went for over 100K miles. It seems to me that sleeves would be cheaper to build in rather than the expense of plasma arc spray and then subsequent machining. The weight factor would only increase a few pounds, if that.

Top Bottom