• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree that the oil filter in the front isn't really an issue. It will be behind the radiator. I say the easier the file is to reach, the better. In my Camry, you just about had to have an extra joint in your arm to reach the filter!
As far as the exhaust manifold goes, I thought it was standard for it to be in the front of an inline transverse engine. That's what it appeared to be in all my Toyota's.

evboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Didnt everyone say the engine was already on the dynameter. now elio is saying it will be in a couple weeks. am i confusing the dynameter with something else.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that the oil filter in the front isn't really an issue. It will be behind the radiator. I say the easier the file is to reach, the better. In my Camry, you just about had to have an extra joint in your arm to reach the filter!
As far as the exhaust manifold goes, I thought it was standard for it to be in the front of an inline transverse engine. That's what it appeared to be in all my Toyota's.

The oil filter and exhaust are in the same place in my Honda Civic and most Honda four cylinders. I agree, nothing unusual in this setup at all. :)

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Didnt everyone say the engine was already on the dynameter. now elio is saying it will be in a couple weeks. am i confusing the dynameter with something else.

It has been on a dyno just not self propelled but being assisted in motion. :cool:

MAN! lots of chatter today. Sorry I couldn't post earlier. On Saturday Jerome said they've been doing dry-run pressure testing up to now. So some of this rigging possibly is in support of that. What 'dry' means to me is putting all the pressure levels the engine would get in normal running, but with out fuel or ignition systems involved. So some compressing and spinning with oils and fluids in the right places are part of the activity. They may even heat some things up to expected temperatures.
By the time they run this on actual fuel it will have already demonstrated all the flow and structural characteristics they need.
So yes, I can imagine it now shows wear, tare and heat discoloration.

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am fairly sure that there is more than one engine. I am guessing about three or four. If they are doing dry testing they will tear one down to see what has changed and gather dimensional data on it. This is to compare the initial dimensions. But again... this is speculation on my knowledge and experience with testing and validation.

I am sure some info will come out in the meeting today! Wahoo!

I think it is one good looking engine!!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
BTW, that would likely include flow-benching and porting, that is seeing that intake and exhaust volumes are balanced with-in spec.

interesting .... on first read I thought you were talking about some things my wife accuses me of doing ..:confused:.. seriously, do appreciate the info .... following this process has been educational for me .... I used to be able to rebuild/repair motors but have never been an observer of the process of one's development

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
interesting .... on first read I thought you were talking about some things my wife accuses me of doing ..:confused:.. seriously, do appreciate the info .... following this process has been educational for me .... I used to be able to rebuild/repair motors but have never been an observer of the process of one's development
And their overall process has been news to me too, my experiences at engine dyno work being, gosh, 35years ago?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am fairly sure that there is more than one engine. I am guessing about three or four. If they are doing dry testing they will tear one down to see what has changed and gather dimensional data on it. This is to compare the initial dimensions.

I think it is one good looking engine!!

all of the info released by EM through its management consistently point to having only 1 engine at this time .... it would seem reasonable to believe that the molds and other specialty things needed to produce the current engine are in place ..... so, production of subsequent ones should be a much simpler/quicker process

Top Bottom