• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
does the engine go in the Elio so that the filter faces thr front of the vehicle or the left side?
MK
5f62f152-4bbe-450e-9e4c-18da156a7611.jpg

open.php?u=24b371802c83d81776b06aa68&id=f4f2d3f0b0&e=7afae3bb95.gif
That is a good looking engine....wow!....:):) Paul did a great job getting this engine done ... finally!.. Now we are getting somewhere! I am very exciting about this product....:):):rolleyes:

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nice ! Notice the AC compressor ????? We have to remember that the project work is not linear, they work on many related and unrelated aspects of the car at the same time. Beauty of trusted suppliers working on their part while others are doing the same. Great work IAV !
Be patient and enjoy the ride :)

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I noticed the AC compressor is mechanical, not electrical as I understood it to be.

Is the AC compressor still going to be electrical, or has there been a design change.

IAV was probably given a baseline for design, before the decision to use an electrical compressor.

Last edited:

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
that is my assumption, needed something to "tension the belt". But may also have been used to quantify the impact of an engine driven compressor. Just in case there is/was an issue with the supply chain. May as well get the data while were at it :)
Good point. While driving down the road with the AC on, the generator will be lugging the engine as much as a mechanical compressor. However when maximum power is needed as in passing, the generator can be easily turned off to give more power but the electric compressor keep running from battery power, thus giving no interruption of cooling. After passing, the generator can be gradually turned on with no sudden load placed on the engine as with a mechanical compressor. Plus no refrigerant leaking around a spinning shaft.

It would be simple if they had a self contained AC unit that straddled the fire wall with half in the cabin and half in the engine compartment. This would be like window AC units. The inside portion would connect to distribution ducts, and the engine bay portion would connect to the grill in front of the windshield pulling cool air to cool the condenser coils and exhausting down ward. The evaporator coils, condenser coils, and compressor would be all contained inside this single unit. It might make AC a marshaling center installed option .

TeamCoconutOreo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really hope the oil filter is towards the back of the Elio for two reasons, efficiency and road debris protection. I also don't see the thermometer housing on the exhaust side of the motor.

Efficiency: hot air contains less oxygen by volume than cold air. By putting the engine intake system in the front of the engine, it would stay cooler rather than be in the hottest part of the engine bay, between the engine and the firewall, Remember the air that cools the car comes in from the front of the car.

Protection: if the filter is in the front of the engine it will be more vulnerable to things such as tractor trailer tire caps. What about the oil pan you ask, well the cross member usually does a good job protecting that.

BUT, that's just my opinion.

does the engine go in the Elio so that the filter faces the front of the vehicle or the left side?
MK
5f62f152-4bbe-450e-9e4c-18da156a7611.jpg

open.php?u=24b371802c83d81776b06aa68&id=f4f2d3f0b0&e=7afae3bb95.gif

Top Bottom