• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is the Elio engine designed to last as long as other engines (which I understand is 300,000 miles today)?

I wonder how much a new engine would cost, and if rebuilding an old engine is worth it.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is the Elio engine designed to last as long as other engines (which I understand is 300,000 miles today)?

I wonder how much a new engine would cost, and if rebuilding an old engine is worth it.

Not disagreeing with you, but I would love to know the source of your understanding.... e.g 300,000 miles

Thought I read someplace that the Elio was designed for 150K or 200K miles since that's the average life of cars.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You know it's at lease at the level of the Geo metro engine, since that's the tech from AVI in this class of engine just prior. They would not have back-tracked on that technology.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Go check out the dash of any car made before 1980. You'll see that suddenly, odometers suddenly went from counting up to 99,999 before turning over to counting up to 999,999. At some point, someone realized that their engines were lasting significantly beyond 100,000 miles. Nowadays, you young'uns don't recognize what a milestone reaching 100,000 miles used to be.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not disagreeing with you, but I would love to know the source of your understanding.... e.g 300,000 miles

Thought I read someplace that the Elio was designed for 150K or 200K miles since that's the average life of cars.
My "understanding" is from informal conversations with mechanics I know at dealerships and with friends. I know at least two mechanics that have cars with over 300,000 miles. However, to achieve this, a whole lot of "proper maintenance" has to be done. This maintenance is extensive and expensive. Most people change vehicles because they are tired of the old vehicle and want something different.

The life of engines is definitely greater. Many times this is attributed to better metal alloys, metal treatments, greater machining tolerance, etc. Many of these things that increase engine life have been known a long time and are nothing new. What is new is the ability to do these things to a consumer vehicle engine and still be affordable to the average consumer. People don't think of it this way.

I read an article that said one of the major things that extends the life of engines is better lubricants. Lubricants is not a glamorous subject like these other items and is often overlooked too.

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Routine Maintenance" for the engine is oil change, filter, coolant, plugs, and air cleaner change. A valve adjustment every 100K is also needed, if the engine has adj. valves. Most now days are hydraulic.
Timing belts could also be listed if a belt is used over a chain, The new Ford fiesta has a timing belt that runs in oil, and has a "lifetime warranty".

Willie

Top Bottom