• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You'd be dealing w/hardware plus electronic hardware/software; something way above our pay grade.
Elio, I'm afraid, is stuck w/keeping it simple for now and upgrade down the road after a couple of production years have passed. :(
And an adapter to attach it to the engine, and a differential since Elio needs a trans-axle, and axles and mounts and a way to link it to the OEM shifter or a replacement for the OEM shifter.

AJB

Reaction score
I have a Suzuki Bergman 650 Executive maxi-scooter with a CVT. There was no option as to transmission. I've not studied how it works except to experience that it does so very well. (I believe it has the metal 'chain' with varying width pulleys and computer controlled). I was unsure I would like it, but once I test drove it, I was convinced and bought it. There are no jerks because there are no shift 'points'; it is indeed continuous as the name implies. You can select any one of 5 pre-selected 'gear' ratios if you want to, and it will automatically down-shift if you forget to when coming to a stop for example. You can feel the jerk when shifting in this manual mode. It also has a 'power' mode which lowers the ratio range for better acceleration or steep hill climbing. I've put over 10,000 miles on it with no problems at all. I'm not suggesting Elio considers a CVT or not. I am just suggesting CVT can be a viable technology when properly applied. Cheers

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am just suggesting CVT can be a viable technology when properly applied. Cheers

Every time a CVT equipped vehicle is tested on MotorWeek, they always seem to remark how loud the vehicle is compared to a car equipped with a conventional transmission, be it a manual or an automatic. I don't want my vehicle to be any louder than needs to be. I'm not saying cvt can't work either, but if cvt makes it noisier, no thanks.

Avards

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Spoke with Mr. Vassllo on 23 April 2014, and was told that decision has been made to use automated transmission, not CVT. Also, this transmission will be suitable for use in the vehicle if flat towed, 3-wheel down, behind a motor home. As I recall, he indicated that the automated transmission will be of 5-speed design.

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was there also, Mr. Vassilo did say it would be a 5 speed AMT made by the aisin? a Japanese company which also make them for Toyota..seems to be an improved version of the smart car type of AMT. He said it would be under a thousand dollars..the question is will the elio AMT performance and fuel economy? be even close with the AMT transmission which takes time to shift through 4 gears..(remember the 55hp IAV motor.) Also, a elio with a auto and cruise is now over $9000 dollars. That's if Elio can get the base under $7000 and they have said they are trying...best bet now is $6995 AMT automatic $est. $850, cruise at $300, destination charge of $795, plus a dealer prep charge, est. $150...Thats over $9000, plus your local states tax, lic and doc fees.. (probably close to $500)...and as most of you know way more vehicles are auto's than sticks..One more thought. I am sure there will be a engine transmission warranty available..(it is a new engine and tranny) and those run over a $1000. BTW, one of the elio guys said to several of us.."the factory will only be installing the transmissions and color..everything else is at the dealer" ...which makes sense to keep the factory line going. The 250 a day estimate means that there is an elio coming off the line every 2.5 minutes. (250/8= 2.5). (remember, it is basically a kit car on an assembly line) Can't wait until the P5 shows up and the new grill and the higher rear area is shown. I do like the idea of a primer elio because I am going to chrome mine with alsa colored blue chrome.

Brian1362

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank you all. This is real information, not "apparently on a conference call . . ." blah blah blah. I can appreciate first hand information.

Top Bottom