• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Texas Show Apr. 22-24: Post Your Questions

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had wondered about a convertible option as well. Would sell very well, IMHO.

Many years ago, I owned a Honda Del Sol that had a removable roof. I have owned several convertibles since then, but always liked the look of the conventional roof panel vs. the traditional convertible fabric look for use during inclement weather.
I've owned two convertibles, a 1970 Datsun Roadster, 1600. Zero practicality, but the fun factor was through the roof.

And a 1996 Del Sol. Really liked the design of the roof panel on the Del Sol.

I miss having a convertible but there's so many days here on the Gulf Coast that are just too freaking hot for a topless drive I'll be plenty happy with a non-convertible Elio

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You're right, OEM factory, no.
Aftermarket option yes; it was made at Pacific Customs in California; but it was high priced, and had so many problems (aka leaks), very few ever got sold or installed, but it did look cool.

I've owned Porsche 914's for 20 years, and have three right now. I'm a member of two different forums, and I've never heard of such a thing as a removable rear window for a 914. Really can't see the point. The rear window makes it much more pleasant driving at highway speeds with the targa off. Plus, even with the fixed factory rear window, that's one of the major water leakage rust points (firewall). Must say that those were a couple of sweet examples of restored 914's you posted. This was my wallpaper for years....Love it!

Porsche 914 6.jpg

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I installed one, and it took almost a week to get it to work right.
The kit alone was around $1,400 not installed. ($1,400 in 78 is like $5K now)
One other thing to remember, I said some years ago, it was in the 70's and 80's that I built custom cars so you're talking 30 to 40 years ago.
Doing customs in the era was completely different than what they do now.
Liability wasn't a big deal then (this was pre McD's coffee in lap)
We did some real wild conversions for the street and had a lot more car to work with.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I recall people talking about Saratoga tops for 914's. It was a tinted acrylic targa top replacement.
I remember those; what a piece of junk those were; they had the same panels for the Corvettes too (I know the Vette's had factory panels, but the aftermarket ones were 1/2 the price.)
In hot areas they would warp, they scratched really easy (owners clean them without washing them first), and it seems that a lot of owners would chip off the corners, or tear the weatherstrips. But this was typical for that time; lots of cheaply made copies of OEM parts, no quality control, help desks weren't, and a lot of companies came and went.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember those; what a piece of junk those were; they had the same panels for the Corvettes too (I know the Vette's had factory panels, but the aftermarket ones were 1/2 the price.)
In hot areas they would warp, they scratched really easy (owners clean them without washing them first), and it seems that a lot of owners would chip off the corners, or tear the weatherstrips. But this was typical for that time; lots of cheaply made copies of OEM parts, no quality control, help desks weren't, and a lot of companies came and went.

As big of a POS that the Saratoga Tops were [I heard the same things you mentioned], there's something appealing about a tinted canopy-like top. Might even make it more pleasant for your RIO having a wide open view.

Top Bottom