• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Sticker

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While my expectations are no more than my motorcycle this is one of the design concerns I have regarding cost of very minor bumps. A 1-5 mile per hour opps I was texting someone could prove very costly for an Elio. Using the vehicles frame as the protection would not be a simple or low cost repair. A very low speed bump to the rear wheel or worse yet the frame I would assume tweak the frame enough to make the vehicle inoperable which would cost more than a replacement plastic panel. Add to that, since the frame is now the bumper (per say) your seat which is mounted to the frame also becomes a connected impact bumper. Again, I expect to treat and respect driving this vehicle like I would a motorcycle but it's the unknown and unpredictable drivers around me that I fear most.
Well this is an interesting discussion topic. Keep in mind, in engineering, everything is a tradeoff. One thing not traded-off much for the Elio is passenger safety. Another, cost. One thing that WAS traded off, is vehicle zero-damage thresholds. The vehicle is so light, I expect a 1MPH hit to do about as much damage as it would on any car with 5mph bumpers. Yes a scratch and a dent. Somewhere above that you may well more physical damage than other vehicles, but the parts are so low in price, it is of less concern. If you hit it hard enough to total it, full vehicle replacement is low too.
Frankly if you want zero damage above about 1 or 2 mph, don't get a Elio. But I doubt any car is an actual zero-damage vehicle. Chances are the paint needs repair or at least a buff, no mater what. The real fix for low speed damage, pay more for comprehensive insurance!
If you added 5mph bumpers, chances are good you would lose much of the high-mileage benefits and the low price benefits. Everything cost something.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well this is an interesting discussion topic. Keep in mind, in engineering, everything is a tradeoff. One thing not traded-off much for the Elio is passenger safety. Another, cost. One thing that WAS traded off, is vehicle zero-damage thresholds. The vehicle is so light, I expect a 1MPH hit to do about as much damage as it would on any car with 5mph bumpers. Yes a scratch and a dent. Somewhere above that you may well more physical damage than other vehicles, but the parts are so low in price, it is of less concern. If you hit it hard enough to total it, full vehicle replacement is low too.
Frankly if you want zero damage above about 1 or 2 mph, don't get a Elio. But I doubt any car is an actual zero-damage vehicle. Chances are the paint needs repair or at least a buff, no mater what. The real fix for low speed damage, pay more for comprehensive insurance!
If you added 5mph bumpers, chances are good you would lose much of the high-mileage benefits and the low price benefits. Everything cost something.
frame_user.png

Elio Motors Customer Service (Elio Motors)
Aug 01 14:15
Thanks for getting back to us- yes, the Elio will be able to absorb a small blow.
Thanks!

Best,
The Elio Team
frame_user.png

dustoff
Jul 31 04:34
Elio Motors,
I know there are no bumpers but how well protected is the nose and rear from minor impact?
Does the body material absorb a small blow?

Small blow? Wind or ?:rolleyes::D

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
back to talking about the All In Elio bumper sticker ..... just curious, comments would be appreciated from folks who have had their bumper stickers mounted for a while .... how does the way it looks stand up the elements ....

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How about these:

Elio... It Gives You Gas
... For the long haul.

Elio... Its Better To Have Two In The Front Than Two In The Back! (Explanation: Trike Vs reverse trike)

Elio... We like to Let'em
Wheels

Hang Out!
Elio... If You Like Narrow Rear Ends!

Elio... So You Have Less Junk In Your Trunk!

Last edited:

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
back to talking about the All In Elio bumper sticker ..... just curious, comments would be appreciated from folks who have had their bumper stickers mounted for a while .... how does the way it looks stand up the elements ....
Just like I put it on - including that wrinkle I notice every day :p

Top Bottom