• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Start Stop System

Start/Stop system utilizing existing battery but better starter. Worth the expense?

• Total voters

'lio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here is just a little bit more of that:
"These standards will provide significant savings for consumers at the pump. Higher costs for new vehicle technology are projected to add, on average, about $1,800 for consumers who buy a new vehicle in MY 2025. Those consumers who drive their MY 2025 vehicle for its entire lifetime will save, on average, $5,700 to $7,400 (7 and 3 percent discount rates, respectively) in fuel savings, for a net lifetime savings of $3,400 to $5,000 (when compard to a vehicle meeting the MY 2016 standards). For those consumers who purchase their new MY 2025 vehicle outright, the discounted fuel savings will offset the higher vehicle cost in less than 3.5 years, and fuel savings will continue for as long as the consumer owns the vehicle."

EPA standards that require higher-mileage, cleaner-burning vehicles are NOT bunk, IMHO, but necessary to push automakers into designing constantly more efficient vehicles. Just because it is a "regulation", and/or from the EPA, does not automatically make it evil.

Well said! I don't think anyone could make an argument against the necessity of saving fuel and reducing emissions, especially not when this saves a load of money for the consumers. It's a win-win situation. Thinking of horsepower, the lowest powered car I ever drove had just 26hp: a 1970's 2CV, fun to drive, especially with the roof open...

Trucking Cody

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I didn't read the 22 pages, but people keep talking about starter wear. That's not the main problem. Starters are a few hundred to replace. On a tiny engine like the elio, prob even less. I don't care about starter wear i care about engine wear. The worst thing you can do to any engine is start it. The oil isn't lubricating vital parts. Your oil pump isnt pumping. Your oil pressure is 0. You then throw some fuel and sparks at it and hope it goes boom. You now have dry metall parts scraping each other for a few second until oil pressure builds. You now want to make the motor go through that more? The only safe way to do this is use an electric oil pump that keep oil pressure while its off. Still it puts unnecessary damage to the motor. Besides, idleing doesn't use much fuel. On a commercial truck it uses 1 gallon per hour. On an elio, it is far less then that. The fuel use in city driving it the acceleration. Durring acceleration the motor is using max power and fuel. Then when you brake you waste all that speed you built up. Acceleration kills mpg in the city, not ideling. If you want to improve city mpg, accelerate slowly. 0-6- in 60 seconds slow.

Useing start stop will only make the motor fail sooner and wont save much fuel

'lio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I didn't read the 22 pages, but people keep talking about starter wear. That's not the main problem. Starters are a few hundred to replace. On a tiny engine like the elio, prob even less. I don't care about starter wear i care about engine wear. The worst thing you can do to any engine is start it. The oil isn't lubricating vital parts. Your oil pump isnt pumping. Your oil pressure is 0. You then throw some fuel and sparks at it and hope it goes boom. You now have dry metall parts scraping each other for a few second until oil pressure builds. You now want to make the motor go through that more? The only safe way to do this is use an electric oil pump that keep oil pressure while its off. Still it puts unnecessary damage to the motor. Besides, idleing doesn't use much fuel. On a commercial truck it uses 1 gallon per hour. On an elio, it is far less then that. The fuel use in city driving it the acceleration. Durring acceleration the motor is using max power and fuel. Then when you brake you waste all that speed you built up. Acceleration kills mpg in the city, not ideling. If you want to improve city mpg, accelerate slowly. 0-6- in 60 seconds slow.

Useing start stop will only make the motor fail sooner and wont save much fuel

No, Letting an engine idle actually does more damage to the engine than starting and stopping, because running an engine at low speed (idling) causes more wear on internal parts.

Car and truck engines are optimized to work under load. Idling is especially bad with a cold engine. Re-starting cold engines isn't great either, that's why engines aren't stopped by any systems unless they reach operating temperatures. Once the engine is up to operating temperatures, stopping and restarting actually keeps down wear, except for the starter, but that can be replaced as you note and can be exchanged for a more durable one.

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oil filters and most oil pumps have "anti drain" valves in them now, to cure the DRY STARTS due to lack of oil pressure.
That means that oil is at the needed areas but not under pressure. You still have lubrication.
Idling is a low oil pressure happening.
Cold starts are the worst for wear.

352K miles using idle stop with no problems from AUTO-STOP on my G1 Insight.

Plus the G1's Hybrid system spins the engine at 1K rpm, in an "instant" when coming out of auto-stop, or normally starting.. The 12V starter spins the engine at 250 rpm, used for checking the min. compression of each cylinder..
Other Hyrbrids are very similar.

Willie

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All starts are dry starts. Until the oil pressure comes up all you have between moving parts is the oils molecular film. I've always heard that the majority of engine wear occurs during starting. That's why I always been a fan of preoilers. Small electric oil pumps or accumulators used to pressurize the oil system prior to the engine starting to rotate. Don't know about the SSS but if you want the engine to last forever preoilers are the way to go.

archer5013

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Lucas oil stays 'wet'. I can tell by the higher cold cranking speed and prompt, smooth response at low engine temperatures - even in winter.
Works for me - though I've never had any new engine to judge that with.

Top Bottom