• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Special Truck

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
An EV ... for hamsters? Or GI Joes?

Really, it looks pretty darn small. And it's got all the camera tricks that scale model photographers use when photographing highly-detailed scale models to try and make them look full size. The pictures are very well done, just it's got that "it's not really full-size" look.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Let's see; someone said "Toy" before:
A toy is an item that can be used for play. Toys are generally played with by children and pets. Playing with toys is an enjoyable means of training the young for life in society. Different materials are used to make toys enjoyable to both young and old. Many items are designed to serve as toys, but goods produced for other purposes can also be used. For instance, a small child may pick up a household item and "fly" it through the air as to pretend that it is an airplane. Another consideration is interactive digital entertainment. Some toys are produced primarily as collector's items and are intended for display only.
And Rob what is it beside what you believe to be camera tricks that makes you think it's small? Did you look at the details on it?
You are close. It's something I posted to have fun with.

cantwait

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've had RC cars that I had well over $1500 in. They were still toys. That truck is a toy. Maybe an expensive, hobby-quality toy, but still a toy. Besides the overall "plastic-look", there are lots of give-aways. The cattle-catcher, especially the "bolts". The mirrors. The license plates. The front drive train. The front shock lower mounts are really obvious to RC people. Some things shrink well, others don't.

Nicely done, but the body proportions "feel" slightly off, as well.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Something not quite right about the front suspension links in the lower picture. I didn't blow up the pic, but the attach bolts look suspiciously like gigantic allen-type bolts. I'm no expert on Chevy front suspension (I'm a Ford truck guy), but I've never seen that configuration regardless of the tonnage rating.

FOUND IT!

RC Silverado dually!

RC dually.jpg

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Let's see; someone said "Toy" before:
And Rob what is it beside what you believe to be camera tricks that makes you think it's small? Did you look at the details on it?
You are close. It's something I posted to have fun with.
I have seen some extremely detailed models, having followed the model train hobby on and off over the years, though never taking part myself. Those guys are insane with the details!

For starters, the gravel is wrong. It's too big. It's common practice in the model train hobby to use gravel that is too large for scale, because the real scale gravel looks like powder. The stuff that is too big for scale looks better, but it's also the wrong scale. That's what the gravel in your pictures looks like. It's the wrong scale.

Second, the brush guard across the front grille looks too rough. Typical of chromed, injection molded plastic. When you get in so close to get a picture, the imperfections start to show. That's fine for a scale model, but no one who slammed down the wad of cash that truck would have cost if it was real would have settled for what would be a shitty job for a an expensive brush guard.

Third: The antenna looks wrong. Too thick.

Whoever built the model did a very good job. And the photographer did a good job, too. There's nothing I can point to that screams "fake", it just doesn't feel right. But even so, there's no way that's a real, full-size Chevrolet Silverado dually.

Top Bottom