• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Spare Tire Questions

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I do all vehicle maintenance myself and used to mount my own tires when I had access to the machine. I don't call AAA (or 911) Know your vehicle and how it works.

If you call 911 because you have a flat, locked your keys in the car, ran out of gas, are lost (can't read a map, or your GPS sent you up the wrong road) don't file a complaint because you are put on hold while the operator handles getting help to someone who is having a heart attack, is trapped in an over turned vehicle bleeding to death, has a home burning down, etc......you know REAL EMERGENCIES.

hawg_ryder

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've had a total of two flats since 1989 riding my scooters all over the U.S. The 1st I fixed with a "rope" type seal and a can of fix a flat... got me home from St. Louis back to South Tx. The 2nd was a rear tire blowout (at 75mph pulling a trailer)after hitting an object that put a hole big enough to put my little finger in... Non-repairable! Roll back wrecker time... Now I carry "The Tire Plugger" by Stop n' Go... A CO2 inflator with a few cartridges and a small 12V. compressor... Kit uses "mushroom" type plugs which are very effective... This is what I'll be carrying in the Elio... Of course there's always the AAA, cell phone, roll back wrecker option as well! ;)
You can find these kits on Amazon and Ebay...
http://www.amazon.com/Stop-Go-Tire-...953644&sr=8-2&keywords=stop+n+go+tire+plugger
A bit pricey compared to a Wally World rope seal kit but well worth the money I'm thinkin'...
Considering the limited space I don't really see even a "compact" spare as an option in the Elio...

trock59

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you call 911 because you have a flat, locked your keys in the car, ran out of gas, are lost (can't read a map, or your GPS sent you up the wrong road) don't file a complaint because you are put on hold while the operator handles getting help to someone who is having a heart attack, is trapped in an over turned vehicle bleeding to death, has a home burning down, etc......you know REAL EMERGENCIES.
Oh no Truett, I wouldn't tie up emegency personnel for minor stuff, I meant that I don't call AAA for road related situations just as I don't call 911 and wait for help for any other situation.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought it wasa referençe to the "we don't call 911" philosophy.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've had a total of two flats since 1989 riding my scooters all over the U.S. The 1st I fixed with a "rope" type seal and a can of fix a flat... got me home from St. Louis back to South Tx. The 2nd was a rear tire blowout (at 75mph pulling a trailer)after hitting an object that put a hole big enough to.....
Considering the limited space I don't really see even a "compact" spare as an option in the Elio...
I plugged a hole in a tire once with a self-tapping sheet metal screw, (all I had with me). years later when I had the tire replaced the guy asked; "did you know you had a screw in this tire?" I had forgotten all about it for YEARS and the tire held air fine the whole time. So just keep some screws handy.:

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With people being so spoiled now days do you think they would change a tire.
When is the last time you saw someone changing a tire? Me neither.
Cell phone and AAA or another roadside assistance company phone number is all that most want.
I changed the left rear tire after running over something three months ago. The jack in my 2009 Hyundai Was still wrapped in shrink wrap. It had been years since I changed a tire. Good to know I still remembered how to do it........LOL

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm getting to old and beat up to change a tire even if there was a spare.........so it's AAA for me. By the way it's not want it's need. Perhaps the can of fix-a-flat would be much easier and as effective to get me to a tire repair shop. Now I don't have to make an excuse for not being able to change a flat............or maybe I just did.

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oh no Truett, I wouldn't tie up emegency personnel for minor stuff, I meant that I don't call AAA for road related situations just as I don't call 911 and wait for help for any other situation.

I thought it wasa referençe to the "we don't call 911" philosophy.

Not saying that either one of you would, but you would be surprised at how many people do, then call in and complain that we "ignored their emergency" because we put them on hold while we handled a life threatening emergency. Then to be called on the carpet and told that it is not up to us to decide what an emergency is.

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I received an email from Elio concerning the spare tire. Although a spare tire will not be included for the vehicle a spare tire kit will be optional.
Whoa! A "spare tire kit?" And what does that consist of, Robert? :rolleyes:

I read somewhere, and sometime back in time, that we would be getting a can of "Fix-a-Flat." Has that changed? Will the "kit" be more elaborate? :D

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've had a total of two flats since 1989 riding my scooters all over the U.S. The 1st I fixed with a "rope" type seal and a can of fix a flat... got me home from St. Louis back to South Tx. The 2nd was a rear tire blowout (at 75mph pulling a trailer)after hitting an object that put a hole big enough to put my little finger in... Non-repairable! Roll back wrecker time... Now I carry "The Tire Plugger" by Stop n' Go... A CO2 inflator with a few cartridges and a small 12V. compressor... Kit uses "mushroom" type plugs which are very effective... This is what I'll be carrying in the Elio... Of course there's always the AAA, cell phone, roll back wrecker option as well! ;)
You can find these kits on Amazon and Ebay...
http://www.amazon.com/Stop-Go-Tire-Plugger/dp/B0018EUDHW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1411953644&sr=8-2&keywords=stop n go tire plugger
A bit pricey compared to a Wally World rope seal kit but well worth the money I'm thinkin'...
"The Tire Plugger" you say? Thanks! Will have to check into that one. Like you, I've always just used the "rope" from Wally-World. In fact, just today, only minutes after my wife left the driveway in her Honda, she was calling me to come change a flat for her.

Really love changing flats, don't you? :eek:

Top Bottom