• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Some Engine Info From The Facebook Page For Elio.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I bought a Chrysler minivan new in 2001 3.8 pushrod engine. After 3000 mile breakin I switched to Amsoil synthetic. I would replace the oil filter at 12500 miles, change the oil and filter at 25000. When I sold it with 161000 miles it was only using 2 quarts between oil changes. Also used oil analysis per Amsoil recommendation. No doubt about it modern synthetic oils are the trick.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree with the opinion that the 3k interval is due to it being a new engine.

I've never been a fan of using synth oil unless specifically recommended by the manufacturer.
Haven't seen any real proof that it changes any long term engine ware. I have a Corolla with 178k and have only used cheap dino oil every 5 k or so or when the oil color looks too dark. The engine will still outlast the car by a wide margin. No point in spending an extra $1000 to have a perfect engine on a worn out car 10-20 years from now. And frankly, if you're overhauling the car, take the time to overhaul the engine.

As for break-in times, I still haven't seen any good proof of using any special oil having any useful changes or advantages in auto or airplane piston engines.

Put fancy oil if you want, it's your money.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My current car has 170K uses 0 oil between oil changes which i do every 7K miles (Mobil 1 syn). I would guess I would do the same with my Elio after the first 3K. I use synthetics for the added protection and longer service intervals. Overall it does cost more initially but in the end its the same as two cheap dino oil changes.

nthawk68

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oil change at 3000miles for the Elio comes out to an oild change every 4 fill ups or approx 1 qt per 8 gals of gas, Kind of like my old Renault R10 that ate oil
3000miles/80 MPG = 37.5 gals of gas / 4.5 qts oil= Approx 8 gals / qt... LOL

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oil change at 3000miles for the Elio comes out to an oild change every 4 fill ups or approx 1 qt per 8 gals of gas, Kind of like my old Renault R10 that ate oil
3000miles/80 MPG = 37.5 gals of gas / 4.5 qts oil= Approx 8 gals / qt... LOL
4.5 liters of oil would be a LOT in the crankcase of that little motor. Would also extend the engine warm-up time. not good for the ol'mpg.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Suzuki Swift G10 engine (as fitted to the Elio prototype cars) is required to have an oil and filter change every 7,500 miles/12 months (got the workshop manual in front of me).

The oil quantity required, including a new filter, is 3.7 US Qts, or 3.5 litres. This is on mineral oil.

I see no reason to change the oil more often, especially on a new engine design.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As we say in Motorcycle forums oh no not another oil thread.
There is no magic oil not amsoil not any of them. Top quality SYN are all just about the same.
SYn protect from heat better
Modern oils do not need to be change as often
In modern engines thicker in not better
I just hope the oil filter on the ELIO is easy to get to.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
.... I just hope the oil filter on the ELIO is easy to get to.

The oil filter will not be hard to reach at all as it will be in the very front however you will have to watch out and not burn yourself on the exhaust.

My Honda Civic has the oil filter in nearly exactly the same place and it is very easy to access from under the car and even from above however as I said you do have to be careful with the exhaust and the catalytic converter right next to it.

Top Bottom