• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Should Elio Offer An Ecu Tuned For Higher Hp?

MW

Elio Fan
Reaction score
After you up the horsepower, then what about brakes, do they need to be bigger and if so then how much? What about the CV joints and axle halfshafts? If a manual, what about the clutch/pressure plate? Or will you need an entirely new/different transmission? Macpherson struts, will the spec'd ones still work? If you can accelerate faster, then you need to brake faster so how does that affect the weight distribution during braking, any suspension changes necessary for that?

Again not to sound like a nag but these cars aren't even built yet so how can you tell what extra anything is needed at this point? After I've put 10 or 20K on mine I'm sure I'll have done some twiddling on it but at this point to decide something needs to be bigger just because, does not necessarily lead to a better driving experience.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
If you can accelerate faster, then you need to brake faster
I'm sorry but I don't see how one means the other, could someone explain it to me please? As long as braking distance is under 200 feet at 60mph, and preferably 120-140 feet (average production vehicle braking distance) I don't see the problem.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maybe the rotors and calipers will be sourced from the Geo Metro. If so, they would be plenty good for a vehicle half its weight. Same with the axles.

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I don't see how one means the other, could someone explain it to me please? As long as braking distance is under 200 feet at 60mph, and preferably 120-140 feet (average production vehicle braking distance) I don't see the problem.
It comes from racing... People who drive aggressively need to stop and slow quickly and often. The first few stops are fine but slowing your vehicle is basically converting velocity into heat. That heat is dissipated by your brake rotors... larger routers and pads increases your heat sink area and improves cooling which is important to maintain brake function. Thus, it is wise, if you are doing it in steps, to strengthen your braking before upping the ponies.

Devilstower

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
As Ty indicated, it's not that your braking distances will be different from the same speed. It's that if you cover that distance between apexes more quickly, you'll be hitting the brakes with less cool-off period in between. Sure, you may not increase the top end, but if you accelerate more quickly you may hit 60 in a chicane where you'd previously only managed 40, pop up to speed more quickly on the next stretch, reach the following turn more quickly. As the brakes heat up, the progressively become less effective. A bigger brake, with more area (and often a difference in material), helps with this issue

Somewhere down the line, you can step on the brake and find that you're ability to slow down is seriously degraded.

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think an extra 10-20 horse power increase(which is a lot for lightweight vechicle like elio),will have a drastic impact on brakes if they do..a set of slotted rotors and high quality brake pads should fix the problem, I guess most of it will depend on driving style and terrain. My $.02

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think am extra 10-20 horse power increase will have a drastic impact on brakes if they do..a set of slotted rotors and high quality brake pads should fix the problem, I guess most of it will depend on driving style and terrain. My $.02
True. But a 20 hp increase would be about a 37% increase. Man, that would be a kick, wouldn't it? Hmm... a switchable tuner so I could bask in the 84mpg glory but then switch it up when I like to surprise that Prius... lol

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True. But a 20 hp increase would be about a 37% increase. Man, that would be a kick, wouldn't it? Hmm... a switchable tuner so I could bask in the 84mpg glory but then switch it up when I like to surprise that Prius... lol
Yes! I agree I think it would be easy to squeeze at least 15hp with intake,exhaust, and mild/medium tune...my Polaris rzr has about 50 hp. Not near aero dynamically designed compared to elio or the same transmission but I would like to see at least 10 more ponies ( yes I am ok for a loss of mileage when racing Prius!)on my elio after she is broken in!

Top Bottom