• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Should Elio Offer An Ecu Tuned For Higher Hp?

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are some that would(maybe a group of under 35 street racers). However, most of us are all here for the original Elio specification! Making those kinds of changes at this point would only delay and add to the cost of the Elio we wish to see. Given a vote I would vote an emphatic NO! If you would like to apply yourself and learn a bit about mechanics and super tune your Elio, I say go for it! But don't ask Elio to do this for you at the expense of others!

They've said the engine is a detuned version, so it must have had an original tune that yielded more power. So just use the original tune as the 'sport' mode.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They've said the engine is a detuned version, so it must have had an original tune that yielded more power. So just use the original tune as the 'sport' mode.
Just remember there's more to "detuning" than electrical pulses in a black box. You won't be able to flip a switch and change what your cam is doing.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio, like any car, won't satisfy everyone. More than 3 cylinders probably won't squeeze between the frame rails, and there are limits to the displacement of the engine caused by the odd balance of an I-3. Much more than a chip, and maybe higher compression pistons and a cam isn't going to be possible without a serious rebuild of the vehicle.

At this point, you've probably spent a lot of money for a modest (although percentagewise an enormous) gain in output. And we haven't even discussed the possibility of a turbo - a smaller version of which might be doable at reasonable cost. Perhaps an electric supercharger (with appropriate upgrade of alternator and supplemental boost battery) could deliver a fair amount of energy to the driveline with some responsibility to the bank. (See HyBoost @ http://www.ricardo.com/en-GB/What-w...nology/HyBoost---Intelligent-Electrification/ or the video on Jay Leno's Garage)

Now, when you pump up the power, you will need to revisit the transmission and CV joint design. They're only going to be able to put so much power to the ground in stock trim without suffering a mechanical meltdown. So, project #2 becomes reinforcing the driveline. Then we get to wheels, tires, and most certainly the brakes to make the whoa compatible with the go. This process really loses contact with the initial goal of the Elio very quickly.

Here's an idea: For most of us who need an economical commuter, the basic design is just fine. I know that to most of us 55hp doesn't sound like much, but in a 1200 lb vehicle I don't think there will be too many complaints about the lack of spirited acceleration on entrance ramps. I suspect many will be surprised at the accelerative capabilities of their Elio in stock trim. Now, for those who want to explore the outer edges of the performance envelope on a winding 2-lane, there are a number of less radical avenues to explore as outlined above - before you step out into "specialty car" territory.

For those who wish to pursue ultimate performance, I'm sure EM would be happy to sell you a second Elio to tinker with. Think of it this way, a base Caterham Seven starts just north of $40K. You could do a LOT to an Elio for an additional $33K, and your Caterham won't have air conditioning. Good luck! ;)

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps an electric supercharger (with appropriate upgrade of alternator and supplemental boost battery) could deliver a fair amount of energy to the driveline with some responsibility to the bank. (See HyBoost @ http://www.ricardo.com/en-GB/What-w...nology/HyBoost---Intelligent-Electrification/ or the video on Jay Leno's Garage)
You get that they're talking about hybrid tech there and taking MASSIVE liberties with the word "supercharger". There is no such thing as an electric supercharger. Although I did see a ricer idiot that tried to plumb a 120V leaf blower into his car using an inverter.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You get that they're talking about hybrid tech there and taking MASSIVE liberties with the word "supercharger". There is no such thing as an electric supercharger. Although I did see a ricer idiot that tried to plumb a 120V leaf blower into his car using an inverter.
Not really, have a look at the YouTube link. Its a rather conventional turbo that is quickly spooled up by a small-ish electric motor, overcoming turbo lag. As engine rpm comes up off idle and the exhaust stream takes over, the electric motor switches off and from that point it's a conventional turbo. It uses the electric motor to drive the turbo for only a few seconds, but that time is really demanding. I guess that's why I won't be building one on my workbench. Well, that and lacking the skills . . .

Last edited:

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not really, have a look at the YouTube link. Its a rather conventional turbo that is quickly spooled up by a small-ish electric motor, overcoming turbo lag. As engine rpm comes up off idle and the exhaust stream takes over, the electric motor switches off and from that point it's a conventional turbo. It uses the electric motor to drive the turbo for only a few seconds, but that time is really demanding. I guess that's why I won't be building one on my workbench. Well, that and lacking the skills . . .
I don't see how it could work. Forgetting all the physics reasons that say it won't you'd need two separate intakes as when it's not working as a turbo it would be a choke point that blocks incoming air.

In fact the bone headed ricer found his 120V blower increased HP when dyno'd. Unfortunately he was too stupid to realize the HP jump was because of the restriction when it wasn't running.

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't see how it could work. Forgetting all the physics reasons that say it won't you'd need two separate intakes as when it's not working as a turbo it would be a choke point that blocks incoming air.

In fact the bone headed ricer found his 120V blower increased HP when dyno'd. Unfortunately he was too stupid to realize the HP jump was because of the restriction when it wasn't running.

If the electric spool up was combined with a variable vane turbo it would not be much of a hindrance to airflow, but again it would put the setup FAR out of the elio price range.

ICE engines have come a LONG way in the last 20 years, but most of the huge advances cost big $$$ to implement on a particular engine platform putting many of them well outside the elio's grasp at a sub $10K price point.(when all kitted up)

Top Bottom