• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Setting Expectations?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
When I moved up to Seattle from South Chicago I had to retake the driving test (it's a WA thing to get money).
I was driving a 1965 Chevy Van with no back windows.
We get to the point in the test that the tester goes "ok, back around the corner staying as close to the curb as you can"
I know that within 2' is allowable.
I pull up to the spot he picks, stop, signal, and begin backing around the corner 4" from the curb; when I start to back up, he turns and looks over his left shoulder. I asked him to please turn around, you're blocking my view out the mirror.
I think he blushed at that point, because he realized "you can't see out the back" <DUH!>
He turned around, sat back, and watched in the spot mirror as I continued around the corner, now at 2"
Later he said that backing around the corner like I did was something he needed to learn, because He couldn't do it. :pound:

I got a 98% because "I didn't clear my blind spots" whatever that means.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, this discussion has me interested in how it will be to back up an Elio. In a four wheeled car, the proper way is to turn your body to the right and look out the back window. I never have liked trying to back up using the mirrors. Has anyone seen video of an Elio backing up? What's the best strategy with no back window? Will I be able to look out the right or left side windows?
As I got older and could no longer look back, I learned to use my mirrors. You'll get used to it. But I caution you to back up more slowly using mirrors since the field of view is narrow and surprises are more frequent. But the Elio should have a superior field of view with it's narrower body.

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I drove panel vans for many years and learned to back using only mirrors. I got lots of comments from people asking, "Where is you inside mirror?"
Answer, "Why would I need a mirror to see the inside of my back doors?"

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Could that be why you used to? ;)
Groan.png

Lawrence G.

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
That's where I'm at too. A fun vehicle, wondering when they will be sold to us? Ready to trade in my 2000 Mitsi that survived two daughters and it's still running. All we really get is chatter, even the milestones, to us, it's all just words. Yet I too would like to see it hit the market. Paul Elio needs to limit the options costs. In aerospace 1986 - it was cost + 10%, limit the cost, more options will be sold, profit will be made up in numbers. Heck 50+++ reservations, that's a big number and Elio provide us with business cards cause others will want to buy it. I'm already All-In.

Top Bottom