• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Seeking Autocycle Bill

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the Editorial office of the Sun Journal (my local paper) and they will be running a Letter to the Editor I just wrote thanking Rep. Golden for sponsoring a bill for the autocycle category, and also a description of the key features of the Elio. I'll post a link when the letter is published.
Outstanding to see someone take the initiative and get someone to start moving to resolve the issue.

Last edited:

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I started the shift my family needs to make in vehicles today. My wife is getting a new V70 tomorrow and I'm taking her old V70 to drive until the Elio is in production. Along with that, I had the opportunity to speak with my insurance agent Ron Morin at Liberty Mutual, he's been around a long time and I've known him for years. He had no idea what an "autocycle" is, initially he speculated it would need to be insured as a motorcycle, though after discussion and looking at the Elio website he was more intrigued and said he would need to do some research and get back to me on it. We also discussed the bill Rep. Golden is introducing to reintroduce autocycle language into Maine statute.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Along with that, I had the opportunity to speak with my insurance agent Ron Morin at Liberty Mutual, he's been around a long time and I've known him for years. He had no idea what an "autocycle" is, initially he speculated it would need to be insured as a motorcycle, though after discussion and looking at the Elio website he was more intrigued and said he would need to do some research and get back to me on it.

please post what your agent comes up with .... I suspect that as EM goes into production this type of conversation will be going on all over and it might help to know how other companies are going to handle it

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just received notice the "autocycle" bill Rep Golden put in is numbered and titled:

"LR 1721 An Act To Expand Classification Categories for Motor Vehicles in the State"

The language of the bill will be much slower to evolve, but I would urge any fellow Mainer's interested to regularly check the Legislatures web site specifically for updates on LR 1721 at this location http://legislature.maine.gov/LawMakerWeb/advancedsearch.asp

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
John, you're a one-man public action committee! [insert beer toasting emoticons here].
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-peU0HKFojq5DnFFtGS0ogrimCWUBWhc8ukwHKFQ1J6kXn-nTsQ.jpg

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
please post what your agent comes up with .... I suspect that as EM goes into production this type of conversation will be going on all over and it might help to know how other companies are going to handle it

For the time being, Liberty Mutual will insure the Elio as a motorcycle. Hopefully others will check with their carriers if/how the Elio would be insured.

Date: January 14, 2015 11:20:28 AM
To: John Painter <johnlpainter@me.com>
Subject: RE: Requested Liberty Mutual document(s) for John Painter

Hi John,

To your question about the auto cycle.

We can rate that as a motorcycle.

So when you do take ownership of one just call me and we can insure it.

Have a great day.

Ron

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
For the time being, Liberty Mutual will insure the Elio as a motorcycle. Hopefully others will check with their carriers if/how the Elio would be insured.

Date: January 14, 2015 11:20:28 AM
To: John Painter <johnlpainter@me.com>
Subject: RE: Requested Liberty Mutual document(s) for John Painter

Hi John,

To your question about the auto cycle.

We can rate that as a motorcycle.

So when you do take ownership of one just call me and we can insure it.

Have a great day.

Ron

thank you .... good to know

Top Bottom