• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Seeking Autocycle Bill

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Committee assignments were just made in Maine, and I have reached out to a Legislator in my town on the Transportation Committee to sponsor a bill (or bring back) Maine's former statutory defined category for autocycle with some revisions to make it more realistic e.g. no motorcycle endorsement, no helmet, no highway restrictions, etc basically following AAMVA guidelines and recommendations from Eric Bellavance at Maine DMV. For other Mainers interested:

Jared Golden is who I've asked to sponsor a bill
http://legislature.maine.gov/house/hsebios/goldjf.htm

Committee appointments for the 127th Legislature (click members document)
http://legislature.maine.gov/committee/#Committees/TRA

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just a quick update to make it a bit easier for anyone else interested in reaching out to a Legislator here in Maine to sponsor a bill to get the autocycle category back and improved. Since there would be no fiscal note, I don't see why a bill for this wouldn't pass, but we need to get a bill sponsor. Cloture is next Friday, not much time. I'm available anytime to help out: johnlpainter(at)gmail .com

Transportation Committee 127th

Senate: Ronald F. Collins, Chair (R-York)

Kimberley C. Rosen (R-Hancock)

G. William Diamond (D-Cumberland)

House: Andrew J. McLean, Chair (D-Gorham)

George W. Hogan (D-Old Orchard Beach)

Christine B. Powers (D-Naples)

Arthur C. Verow (D-Brewer)

Mark E. Bryant (D-Windham)

Jared F. Golden (D-Lewiston)

Wayne R. Parry (R-Arundel)†

James S. Gillway (R-Searsport)

Bradlee Thomas Farrin (R-Norridgewock)

Brian D. Hobart (R-Bowdoinham)

Last edited by a moderator:

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Date: December 30, 2014 1:49:20 PM
To: johnlpainter(at)me .com
Subject: Autocycle Bill

John,

I have received your email about sponsoring a bill to put the autocycle language back into Maine statute. I would be happy to discuss this with you further if you would be willing to give me a call at 207-402-4410.

Very respectfully,

Jared Golden
State Representative
Lewiston, House District 60

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Date: December 30, 2014 1:49:20 PM
To: johnlpainter@***.com
Subject: Autocycle Bill

John,

I have received your email about sponsoring a bill to put the autocycle language back into Maine statute. I would be happy to discuss this with you further if you would be willing to give me a call at 207-402-4410.

Very respectfully,

Jared Golden
State Representative
Lewiston, House District 60

Good job John, I would contact Elio's people that deal with this stuff and they should load you up with information.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good job John, I would contact Elio's people that deal with this stuff and they should load you up with information.
I will. Though at this point it will be more helpful for a bill revision.

Cloture is this Friday so I need to get things cracking, the original statute was not too bad so I'm suggesting running with the language that just expired but needs to follow AAMVA best practices; no highway or speed restrictions, no motorcycle endorsement required, etc.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Well done John, good luck! From my experience here in Kansas, you can verify that the language has the word "enclosed" to describe where the occupants sit. This restricts the Polaris Slingshot from sneaking through to allow no helmets. If lawmakers hear that a driver of the open-cabin Slingshot doesn't need a helmet, they will probably vote no on the bill. Hopefully the AAMVA best practices document says that, I'm too lazy to go look right now. :D

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just got off the Phone with Rep. Golden and he has already spoken with Maine Department of Transportation, and he has already reserved a bill number for reintroduction of the autocycle category in Maine statute!

He did pass on some concerns raised by the Department of Transportation, they are supporting of the bill but believe the statute needs to be new and not based on the past statute for a variety of reasons; they believe the term is still too broadly defined (they are studying the AAMVA Best Practices Guideline), and the mother of all concerns - crash test results. Regardless, he said they are not opposed to the category and recognize it's growing demand and will work on it with us.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm PM'ing you Joel Sheltrown, VP of Government Affairs at EM .... if you haven't done so already I'd suggest you email him the above info immediately .... he answers quickly and can provide all the info they may need on legal matters

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm PM'ing you Joel Sheltrown, VP of Government Affairs at EM .... if you haven't done so already I'd suggest you email him the above info immediately .... he answers quickly and can provide all the info they may need on legal matters

please let us know the response .. :)

Top Bottom