• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Scenic Drives

LockMD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Surprisingly, that middle one, is an easy 10 minutes to there, while you wait at the cooler. A full hour to Sheep Head Lake. So when we get back, will there be any beer left for us? :)

(I have a bad habbit of re-editing to fix 'crap', go back and look !)

What Critter said........

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Amm, to get un-literal about it, I thought he meant, drive to various parts of the trail and some do day hiking. At least that's how I looked at it. It's quite a hobby for a lot of us, even old like me, at least the picnic run anyway.

But of course he could have meant, drive to one start-point, and do some serious hiking.

The images I posted intersects with the 2700mile Pacific Crest Trail. Section 'I' goes through Washington. For the casual vacationer there are lots of parts that are suitable for a mid-day hike or a picnic meet-up.

According to the web, below is a more 'serious part', I assume in mid California.
The one below that are more typical of Washington, right at Chinook pass. View attachment 3228
View attachment 3230 View attachment 3229
I think I was on the trail in the last picture (if it is in CA), in 1960. :-) Z

Edward43

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the idea is a great idea for a scenic drive in the Elio. Would be really great to do in the fall when the leaves are changing color.

Just to clarify Roberto must have seen the new episode of Top Gear US which I also watched this past week. They followed roads near the appalachian trail the whole way from Maine down to Georgia and they were supposed to make the entire trip across 14 states in only 24 hours.
Absolutely! I can see doing Bear Tooth Pass, (Billings to Yellowstone), early October.

Edward43

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A couple ideas:
The Natchez Trace Parkway runs 444 miles from Natchez to Nashville as a 2-lane road through early American history. Get the CD that will provide you a running commentary on your journey as you take the long drive up or down the route that was used by Native Americans, trappers, and boatmen who traveled back up the Trace after floating down the Mississippi.
[Broken External Image]

Or, the old Fall River Road through Rocky Mountain National Park, just out of Estes Park, CO - it's the backroad to the continental divide, the last 11 miles of which is above the treeline. This road was the original access up to the peak of Rocky Mountain National Park just outside Estes Park, Colorado that preceded Trailridge Road. Lots of twists and turns with steep grades, little traffic, and less pavement, some of it is only one lane with turnouts to allow cars to pass. It remains much as it was when it was first built in 1920. Mt. Chapin (12,454 feet) is in the background
FallRiverRoad.jpg

If you go in mid-September-ish, catch the fall rut of the Elk that come down to pastures in the Park and in town as well. These are BIG animals with a piercing wail as the bulls challenge each other across the valleys. During the fall rut, they can be pests for townspeople who just have to sacrifice their lawns and flowerbeds . . . be careful though, these guys are big and well-armed . . . and no, you can't pet them.
EstesElk.jpg

Rush hour on the 101 out of Eureka, CA, as yearling elk await instructions from elders in woods to right. The youngsters eye the exit and seem to ask the age-old question of kids everywhere, "Are we there yet?"
2924TrafficElk2.jpg

Not far away in Norcal, you'll find the Redwoods in Del Norte State Park. Sorta gives you a whole new appreciation of trees.
2924Redwoods.jpg
Cheeez! This blog beats a calendar hands down.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I definitely am interested in other parts of the US. But I know the northwest, so I'll peddle another NW thing that works well for Elio pac-runs.
The ferry boat routes in Puget Sound, I always liked that a lot. You can't post an image to show what that wind-in-your-face is like.
All I can say is.. "I'm the King of the World!" (isn't that what he said in the movie?) K his boat had trouble, aside from hitting a dock or two, these don't.
Imagine 50-100 Elios parked in the hold of this (image below)?

Of course anything in Washington is more predictable in the better 4 months of the year. The others aren't as predictable. However, I could LOVE some night-skiing since we can handle a little snow. Day skiing there sometimes sucks cause it's often too warm and too foggy. But after sunset, there is very predictable vision. So you go up and have dinner with the sunset, if visible, then ski for a while. You can also do the dinner part in the summer.

719_Ferry_outside_Eagle_Harbor.jpg

Roberto Benitez

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Amm, to get un-literal about it, I thought he meant, drive to various parts of the trail and some do day hiking. At least that's how I looked at it. It's quite a hobby for a lot of us, even old like me, at least the picnic run anyway.

But of course he could have meant, drive to one start-point, and do some serious hiking.

The images I posted intersects with the 2700mile Pacific Crest Trail. Section 'I' goes through Washington. For the casual vacationer there are lots of parts that are suitable for a mid-day hike or a picnic meet-up.

According to the web, below is a more 'serious part', I assume in mid California.
The one below that are more typical of Washington, right at Chinook pass. View attachment 3228
View attachment 3230 View attachment 3229

Yes, there are roads that can be taken that follow the trail closely. Naturally, not the same experience (literally), to drive it all. One could still walk the most scenic parts--for me the most flat parts.

As I think about it though, would. I dare leave my new Elio--so small that it could probably be picked up quite easily--in some strange place.

Thus far this is the most detail I have found on a good route: http://www.roadtripusa.com/routes/appalachiantrail/appalachiantrail.html

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I definitely am interested in other parts of the US. But I know the northwest, so I'll peddle another NW thing that works well for Elio pac-runs.
The ferry boat routes in Puget Sound, I always liked that a lot. You can't post an image to show what that wind-in-your-face is like.
All I can say is.. "I'm the King of the World!" (isn't that what he said in the movie?) K his boat had trouble, aside from hitting a dock or two, these don't.
Imagine 50-100 Elios parked in the hold of this (image below)?

Of course anything in Washington is more predictable in the better 4 months of the year. The others aren't as predictable. However, I could LOVE some night-skiing since we can handle a little snow. Day skiing there sometimes sucks cause it's often too warm and too foggy. But after sunset, there is very predictable vision. So you go up and have dinner with the sunset, if visible, then ski for a while. You can also do the dinner part in the summer.

View attachment 3234
I don't ski but the rest sounds great! I lived in the Great NW for 11 years and only moved to follow employment. Walking on to the ferry is about the best thing in the world but driving on with an Elio would have a strong second place. Unless you are trying to get from the Olympic Peninsula to Seattle via Bainbridge ferry on a beautiful Sunday summer afternoon. You and several thousand of your closest friends and relatives!

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like to tell people that I walked the entire width of the AT!
Hmm, sounds like what I did this fall, I hiked the whole width of the Continental Divide Trail! Worth every blister. The aspens were changing colors, the sky was a beautiful blue. Makes you glad you took the challenge and were able to make it to the other side, er, end.

Top Bottom