• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Reservations: 65341 As Of 6/20/2017

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
As an industrial engineer who actually worked in the Shreveport plant Ty would definitely know if following a vehicle is possible. To my thinking Elio Motors will likely have the most difficulty estimating exact production dates during the first few weeks of production however as the production line will only have one shift and will be moving relatively slowly during this period EM should also be able to predict assembly within a day or so. Those lucky few with early numbers to be built in the first week may want to build in extra time just in case however I doubt they would have an issue with this.

After the first few weeks the production line should move along vey predictably, and EM has told us that a second shift will not come online until after at least three months of production, so it is likely that any of us with production numbers already should should easily be able to see our vehicles produced within normal business hours. As the production line picks up consistent speed it will actually be easier to predict when build will occur however if anyone has a build scheduled early or late in the day it might be wise to plan an extra day just in case.

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
....Not only that, how else are we going to get our Elio's? Ship it to us? That's more money and not near as much fun as driving it home. I've always been a dreamer!

I just wanted to clarify for those who can't make it to Shreveport EM has said there will be delivery options. From what I understand these are likely to include a standard destination charge to a pick-up location in each of the 60 initial markets and home delivery which is likely to be more expensive.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As an industrial engineer who actually worked in the Shreveport plant Ty would know these things and I had already thought it would be possible to view at least part of your vehicles assembly. Elio Motors will likely have the most difficulty estimating exact production dates during the first few weeks of production however as the production line will only have one shift and will be moving relatively slowly during this period EM should also be able to predict assembly within a day or so. Those lucky few with early numbers to be built in the first week may want to build in extra time just in case however I doubt they would have an issue with this.

After the first few weeks the production line should move along vey predictably, and EM has told us that a second shift will not come online until after at least three months of production, so it is likely that any of us with production numbers already should should easily be able to see our vehicles produced within normal business hours. As the production line picks up consistent speed it will actually be easier to predict when build will occur however if anyone has a build scheduled early or late in the day it might be wise to plan an extra day just in case.

So with the numbers that they are talking about, we're looking at anywhere between 250 and 500 cars per day. Say half are planning on picking up their cars, and half of them are planning on bringing someone with them, that's 250 to 500 people milling around the plant on any given day. They are really going to have to plan for crowd movement and control. I can name a bunch of people on here, that given our excitement and curiosity, may be prone to 'wander' away from the cattle shoot of the tour group. Then, after the car is ready, they will need people to do the paperwork. That's between 25 and 50 cars that need to be processed per hour. That's a lot of staff needed for all of this.

wayne kemp

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"That's between 25 and 50 cars that need to be processed per hour. That's a lot of staff needed for all of this."

Oh for the days of the Military......hurry up and wait.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
So with the numbers that they are talking about, we're looking at anywhere between 250 and 500 cars per day. Say half are planning on picking up their cars, and half of them are planning on bringing someone with them, that's 250 to 500 people milling around the plant on any given day. They are really going to have to plan for crowd movement and control. I can name a bunch of people on here, that given our excitement and curiosity, may be prone to 'wander' away from the cattle shoot of the tour group. Then, after the car is ready, they will need people to do the paperwork. That's between 25 and 50 cars that need to be processed per hour. That's a lot of staff needed for all of this.

The plant pickup likely won't be that much of a hassle at all and the costs are actually more reasonable than you would think averaged per vehicle.

I would bet that we complete nearly all the paperwork and such ahead of time, mostly online, so that all we would need to do at the plant to pick up our vehicle is show some ID, inspect the vehicle to make sure it is as ordered and has no issues, and sign a form accepting delivery of the Elio. The way I see it is that this process would be exactly the same whether you picked it up at the plant or had it delivered anywhere else. The added advantage to doing things this way is that EM could give us our VIN #'s and full documentation ahead of time so we could arrange insurance and in many states even get our tags before we even leave to pick up our cool new rides.

Following your vehicle and/or participating in a plant tour actually makes the pick-up process I stated even easier. EM could give reservation holders a time when they need to check-in and show their ID. EM can then make sure to have the buyers information packet all set by the time they are finished with the tour and ready to inspect their new vehicle. A tour also controls the crowd as it limits the number of people going through the process at once to the number of people on the tour and/or following their vehicles.

By the way, the staffing costs needed for this kind of thing are not really that bad either. If EM has a tour leaving in 15 minute intervals this means 4 groups per hour so 40 owners per hour would only be 10 new owners per group and with a friend this is a reasonable 20 person group as I doubt many owners would have more than one person with them as they have to drive away in their new two seater.

Checking in 40 owners over an hour really does not take more than two people however lets say 3 to be safe.

If the tour takes 45 minutes they could be handled with 4 tour guides but say 5 once again to be safe and provide some extra break time between tours.

While the tour is happening a small staff is preparing new owners packets to be picked up at the end of the tour which also contains your inspection and pick-up form. Just to be safe we will say it takes 8 people to do all this however with only 40 owners per hour it will likely be less.

Then you have to inspect the vehicle and sign that you accept delivery. I would plan for each new owner to take about 30 minutes to inspect and go over the vehicle with an Elio employee before signing the acceptance form. With 40 owners per hour this would take 20 people however we will say 25 to account for some extra time and give them a short break between owners.

This adds up to 41 people however we will add a few more for extra assistance and security, such as keeping people from wandering :D, so just to be safe we will round up to 60. 60 people really is not that many considering that they are providing tours and delivering about 300 new Elios in an 8 hour work day. It is also not that expensive as if you paid 60 employees an average of $30 an hour, total including tax and benefits costs, this would be $1800 per hour however if you divide that by 40 deliveries per hour it is only $45 in personnel cost per vehicle delivered. Then add say $5 to cover misc costs and you get $50 in total cost to deliver each vehicle into the hands of a happy new Elio owner.

$50 sounds like a lot but consider how much it would cost to shuffle vehicles around and deliver them anywhere else, including the retail stores, this cost for delivery is actually quite good.

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm curious ===> who makes up the 34518 as of 9/21/14 ?? .... is that number made of folks who are all in with a nonrefundable deposit or does it also include those who have refundable deposits

Jim

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm curious ===> who makes up the 34518 as of 9/21/14 ?? .... is that number made of folks who are all in with a nonrefundable deposit or does it also include those who have refundable deposits

Jim

That number includes all reservation holders whether they are refundable or not.

By the way even before the September 1st deadline Elio Motors had told us that almost 9 out of 10 reservations are non-refundable reservations and it is likely this percentage increased due to the bonus promotion ending.

We also know from the last round of production numbers that just under a third of all reservation holders are now All-In at $1K. This number had averaged about 25% before the promotion ending. This category is really the only one we can easily track independently ourselves thanks to comparing production numbers to the total number of reservations.

Last edited:

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I'll make an educated guess at the % of total reservations in the various categories. Feel free to suggest changes based on what you know:

All-in (non-refundable):
  • $1000 29-32% (calculated at 30.6% about 3 weeks ago)
  • $500 12-18%
  • $250 7-12%
  • $100 25-30%
Want-in (refundable):
  • $1000 1-2%
  • $500 1-2%
  • $250 1-2%
  • $100 2-4%

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That number includes all reservation holders whether they are refundable or not.

By the way even before the September 1st deadline Elio Motors had told us that almost 9 out of 10 reservations are non-refundable reservations and it is likely this percentage increased due to the bonus promotion ending.

We also know from the last round of production numbers that just under a third of all reservation holders are now All-In at $1K. This number had averaged about 25% before the promotion ending. This category is really the only one we can easily track independently ourselves thanks to comparing production numbers to the total number of reservations.

10% of 34,518 = 3,452 refundable reservations .... I consider it to be remarkable that the number is that small .... that coupled with one third being All-In at $1K and its clear that EM has already developed a core group of strong supporters

Jim

Top Bottom