• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Read Something In Maryland That Might Apply Elio Vehicles...or Maybe Not

William Sanford

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try This
TITLE 11. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

SUBTITLE 15. MOTOR VEHICLE ADMINISTRATION--VEHICLE REGISTRATION
CHAPTER 05. UNORTHODOX VEHICLES
COMAR 11.15.05.01 (2010)
.01 Definitions.
A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Constructed vehicle" means any vehicle which has been assembled by anyone other than a
manufacturer of vehicles, and the chassis of another vehicle which has been assembled by a bona
fide manufacturer was not used during the course of construction.
(2) "Reconstructed vehicle" means any vehicle which has been assembled from the chassis and
other parts of vehicles which were originally constructed by bona fide manufacturers of vehicles.
(3) Unorthodox Vehicle.

(a) "Unorthodox vehicle" means a vehicle which is unusual in design and which deviates from the types of

vehicles required to be titled and registered under the provisions of Transportation Article, Title 13,

Annotated Code of Maryland, regardless if the vehicle was assembled by a bona
fide vehicle manufacturer or by any other person.
(b) "Unorthodox vehicle" includes motorized wheel chairs, minibikes, trail machines, beach buggies, dune

buggies, and any other similar type of vehicle.
TITLE 11. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

SUBTITLE 15. MOTOR VEHICLE ADMINISTRATION--VEHICLE REGISTRATION
CHAPTER 05. UNORTHODOX VEHICLES
COMAR 11.15.05.02 (2010)
.02 Vehicles to be Registered as Class A Passenger Vehicles.
Constructed, reconstructed, or unorthodox vehicles to be registered as Class A
passenger vehicles shall:
A. Be inspected and approved by an authorized Maryland inspection station before applying for title and
registration;
B. Be equipped with the equipment and mechanisms required by Transportation Article, Title 22,
Annotated Code of Maryland, which shall be inspected and approved by an authorized Maryland inspection
station; and
C. Comply with the provisions of 49 CFR §§ 571.101--571.302, which are incorporated by reference.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Could you post: Transportation Article, Title 13

I'd like to know how it reads and it's referred to in the post you did.

Thanks

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks; now have you read all the way through it and balanced the statements and regulations in all of sections and balanced them to the first article you posted and how it relates to the Elio?

I am not a lawyer nor a paralegal and never claimed to be; but what usually happens that most laymen will find one subsection of a law and believe that to be the entire application of how that law pertains to a certain situation; this is how many get tripped up in thinking a law applies to one situation when it actually doesn't.

So tell me William Sanford since you've posted both of these Maryland laws as they might or might not apply to an Elio; what is your fully qualified explanation why believe you would not be able to tile a Elio in Maryland? And with your detailed assessment of all applications on exactly how they disqualify the Elio. Are these laws currently being argued in the Maryland congress? Are they discussing how they plan to block title to an Elio? Or are they discussing what they have to do to change them?

Answer a few of these items, and we can continue the conversation once you do.

Fair enough? Since you've put up the posts you must have some kind of stand you feel the Maryland has to change, I'd like to know how you plan on working for or against it; or are you just doing "the sky is falling" on titling an Elio you felt obligated to agitate others with?

Inquiring minds want to know

William Sanford

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definately not against it being tagged in MD just looking at angles to counter MVA at counter WHEN I get mine #2288--
if it comes up when I walk in with cert of origin and bill of sale- Boom Boom Registration and Tags, Thank You

Title 11
DEPARTMENT OF
TRANSPORTATION
Subtitle 14 MOTOR VEHICLE
ADMINISTRATION — VEHICLE
INSPECTIONS
11.14.01 General Inspection
Authority: Transportation Article, §§12-104(b), 23-101-23-109, and 24-106.1, Annotated Code of Maryland
.01 Definitions.
B

(23) "Multipurpose passenger vehicle" means a motor vehicle that:
(b) Has 3 wheels; or
(c) Is of unique design that does not clearly meet the requirements of any other class as determined by the Division, except 4-wheel drive passenger vehicles (sedans, convertibles, and station wagons).

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Great reply :thumb: I read through the laws and statutes and I didn't see where there was anything to block titling an Elio.
I will admit that the first section posted could be misunderstood very easily as applying to the Elio, but there are a number of items in the section 13 descriptions that would say that there really should be nothing blocking the ability of getting a title.

Has there ever been any problems that you know of in Maryland of getting a Slingshot or a Can Am titled and licensed? I know there are 6 or 7 Polaris dealers there and I kind of doubt it.

I think knee jerk reactions about getting an Elio titled in Maryland are unwarranted; the best way to find out would be to call the Maryland DMV and talk to them about it. They are the people best qualified to answer question.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Great reply :thumb: I read through the laws and statutes and I didn't see where there was anything to block titling an Elio.
I will admit that the first section posted could be misunderstood very easily as applying to the Elio, but there are a number of items in the section 13 descriptions that would say that there really should be nothing blocking the ability of getting a title.

Has there ever been any problems that you know of in Maryland of getting a Slingshot or a Can Am titled and licensed? I know there are 6 or 7 Polaris dealers there and I kind of doubt it.

I think knee jerk reactions about getting an Elio titled in Maryland are unwarranted; the best way to find out would be to call the Maryland DMV and talk to them about it. They are the people best qualified to answer question.

I wholeheartedly agree with this post!...except the advise to call the DMV. All he will get is ONE employees opinion. I think, when a dozen (or a hundred) new Elio owners are clamoring to get them registered (IF there is an issue), It will be addressed. I remember when the Prius was first introduced, owners in GA weren't able to pass emissions because the car had to be idleing, or some such nonsense. Anyway, The legal issues were fixed rather quickly.
EM is continuing to work on and with legislators to make every state "Elio friendly" :)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I wholeheartedly agree with this post!...except the advise to call the DMV. All he will get is ONE employees opinion. I think, when a dozen (or a hundred) new Elio owners are clamoring to get them registered (IF there is an issue), It will be addressed. I remember when the Prius was first introduced, owners in GA weren't able to pass emissions because the car had to be idleing, or some such nonsense. Anyway, The legal issues were fixed rather quickly.
EM is continuing to work on and with legislators to make every state "Elio friendly" :)

Never stop at the "guard at the gate" when talking to a government agency, you always want to talk to a supervisor or you write to the head of the department and request information at that level. You'll never get anywhere (and positive information) with the first line people that answer the phone or sit at the front desk. This is also a topic that should be presented to the Elio group to 1) find out about 2) initiate change if it isn't compliant. I'm sure they have more ins and know the correct buttons to push to make things happen; look what they have accomplished with the helmet laws and the definition of an "Autocycle" at the federal level. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have something in the works already.
The ability of getting an Elio titled in Maryland will most likely be a moot point by the time that the people living have to deal with it.

Jayne Shelby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's a bummer. Sadly its the states and not the feds that deal with letting us have the privilege to drive and register boats/cars. So its a war that may need to be to fought 50 times. :( (or maybe 51+ counting DC and the few territories we picked up)

Hopefully, not only will I be allowed in MD, but will even get to take my helmet off when i get there. LOL Sucks WV has this stupid helmet law.

It really isn't a "privilege to drive". Freedom of travel unmolested is a constitutional right. Road rules and the like are for commerce (business). Truth be told, you do not require a drivers license or a registration for your car unless you are making money through its use. I too live in Maryland and if this is the case I can easily move to a place where sanity rules.

Top Bottom