• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Raising Money From The Sale Of Surplus Equipment At The Shreveport Facility.

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On topic, I am very familar with the equipment in Shreveport. Most of what I saw on Ebay is Fab shop stuff that Elio has no use for. There are so many robots that Elio probably only needs 10% of whats there, and they are "current" in safety regards. the presses and components they have on Ebay are reasonably priced , but sales of used equipment is a crap shoot. If you check into used equipment sellers ,they get filty rich buying used equipment by the LB and selling it to others to be refurbished and put back to work. Thing is , it takes time to find the buyers. That is what Elio found out. What they are selling on ebay is only a small portion of the "scrap" refered to in the first post. The dies and specific fixturing are scrap iron, still worth some money at that. .20 per lb ,maybe.
I am a controls engineer working for a major auto manufacturer in their powertrain devision, 25 years worth of it. That plant was the state of the art for GM when it closed. I have never been in the Shreveport plant but is is built to a "bill of process" just like another I have worked in some. Nothing could leave the plant due to the bankruptcy, so it's all still there. Think "ghost ship" , problem is by now, much of the controls content is obsolete hardware. That in itself is not so bad from Elio's standpoint, my equipment is obsolete also and still making engines, we buy repair parts off ebay frequently! There is still lots of money in that plant, and Elio needs very little of the equipment to produce our car. It was a "flex shop" easily configured to build different cars. There is no engine line, Assembly or machining. Wouldn't matter anyway, product is too different.
Oh, and I spend most of my time on the plant floor, working directly with the operators and tradesmen. When I help set up assembly jobs, I run the job to make sure the engineering is "right". If I can't run it, we have no right to expect someone else to! Same for machine tools, I test my own software, thank you very much :)
Now back to something "light" !

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually RKing, now that you've outed yourself. What can you tell us about glue on, non metal bodies?? Most sealers I've ever worked with wore out over time. Even the high grade stuff!! Shrinkage, cracking, growing brittle, getting hard and breaking. ect.
Will machines do the work??

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Bert , I don't know, I have never worked around the "plastic stuff". If it's CNC production equipment, robotics, and typical machining or assembly equipment I could throw out a swag. But the plastic skins are out of my arena. We need someone from Bowlingreen to chime in. My understanding is that the Vett (current c7) and Elio will share body panel materials.
I know some of the repair shops really prefer to "glue" on a new quarter than weld it nowdays :) The adhesives have come a long way!

JK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For those wanting an update on equipment sales.. I was just reading the latest SEC report (FISCAL SEMIANNUAL PERIOD ENDED: JUNE 30, 2016) and found this little tidbit. Looks like this is moving right along.

Sale of Excess Equipment. We identified equipment in the Shreveport plant that will not be used in production of the Elio and made the equipment available for sale. Through June 30, 2016, we have received net proceeds of $4.8 million from the sale of equipment, which has been applied to principal and accrued interest on the CH Capital Lending note. As of June 30, 2016, an additional $1.1 million in equipment was available for sale, which we believe will be sold in 2016.

Top Bottom