• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Prepped And Ready For E-series Assembly

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Are you saying that the E-series engine layout is different from the P5, or was the P5 like that too? (I don't rememeber stuff like that)
No. It's the same. The hood hinges in the front so in reality, the exhaust which almost never fails (I've replaced more O2 sensors in the exhaust manifold than AC compressors or fuel injectors) is tucked up front under the hinge. The motor is sideways (like all front wheel drive cars) and the equipment pisonboy mentioned will actually be on the Starboard side of the Elio.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Probably the cheapest paint to use. I'd bet that all of the "test vehicles" will be marshmallow too...maybe even left in a primer coat if they just plan on crashing it.
Any actually crash testing will need to be put though high-speed photography, so white is it. But the others, I'll bet they can't help but do a few color samplers.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like the fact that it mentions: "we’re taking a look at the arrival of a shipment of body panels and engines/transmissions".
Sounds like things are getting serious!
Sounds like? Yes, but my favorite W. Willie quote, "Don't Tell Me, Show Me!"

Don't tell me about taking a look at when engines and transmissions might arrive, but show me 125 crates of each being unloaded and stacked in the build facilities.

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Motors Momentum v58

ELIO_06380_Momentum_P5_V21.jpg
Body Panels, Powertrain Prepped and Ready for E-Series Assembly

Elio Motors’ Pilot Operations Center in Livonia, Mich., currently is a hotbed of activity in the building of the E-Series vehicles. In this week’s Momentum, we’re taking a look at the arrival of a shipment of body panels and engines/transmissions that have revved up our activities, so to speak.

If you recall, we have our own paint shop in the Pilot Operations Center. This means that the panels are shipped from our supplier, Molded Plastic Industries, primed and ready for paint prep. Because the E-Series vehicles will be hand assembled, the panels are individually painted before they are attached to the frame and vehicle buildup begins.

Cleaning_Off_Panels2.jpg

Elio Motors’ technician prepares the surface of a fender prior to painting.

Body Panels Shine in Anticipation of Assembly

After the body panel surfaces are prepped in the spray booth, our paint technician utilizes the latest in high-volume low-pressure (HVLP) spray equipment to apply the Elio’s water-based finish to the panels. Using HVLP technology is important because the technology increases transfer efficiency, providing better, more consistent coverage than conventional spray guns and minimizes messy overspray. As a result, more of the finish is actually applied to the panels, which is better for our environment, as well as being more cost effective.

Once the panels are dry, they receive a clearcoat, which helps protect the paint. From there, the panels are stored on their fixtures until they’re ready to be assembled onto the next E-Series vehicle.

Painting_Body_Side_Panel2.jpg

The Elio’s body panels are painted with a high-solids water-based finish that is applied with high-volume low-pressure (HVLP) spray equipment to minimize waste and protect the environment.

I was thinking about these panels only yesterday. I believe they are a wet layup and not the thin prepreg panels that will be on the production models. Does anyone have any information on this? The prepreg products that we use are only .020 thick. They are very hard and light when cured, but can be somewhat brittle. I would like to have more information about them.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I was thinking about these panels only yesterday. I believe they are a wet layup and not the thin prepreg panels that will be on the production models. Does anyone have any information on this? The prepreg products that we use are only .020 thick. They are very hard and light when cured, but can be somewhat brittle. I would like to have more information about them.

Uuuuhhh.... :help:

Wet layup? Prepreg panels? Why would these in the pictures be different from the production panels?

Signed, Anxious :madgrin:

Top Bottom