• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Prepped And Ready For E-series Assembly

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have one concern, it says they are using water based paint, I hope the material has vastly improved since GM tried it in the mid '90s.....
Waterbased paints have been in widespread use, for several years, by many of the auto makers. The materials have come a long ways. :)

HonestTex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I guess time will tell on this one... If it's a major concern for you, go with a wrap to protect the paint. I know I'm "rich" (1K all in):rolleyes:, but not rich enough for a $1600 wrap. I'll just have to hope the paint holds up. :clock:

*edit: why does the clock say "ky-ky"?

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This topic is confusing to me too. Fiberglass, composite, fiber reinforced, like a Corvette or Fiero, or a Saturn?

FRP or fiberglass reinforced plastic can be seen on almost any commercial bathroom wall. It is usually almond in color. It is very tough. I have only seen it in sheet form at Home Depot or other outlet. I am sure it can be molded in production. It is in effect, a pre-preg product that is heat cured

For those who have asked. Pre-pregnated products arrive in rolls of fiberglass cloth that are impregnated with only enough activated resin to wet the cloth. There is no excess resin to add weight. They arrive at 0 degrees F and must be kept frozen until used. When unrolled they are the consistency of wet canvas and can be shaped or rolled into any form or mold. various thicknesses are available. The catalyst will begin kicking at room temperature and cure at 150-200 degrees F. The product is thin, lightweight, and resilient to dents or reforming.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
If/when my Elio's paint starts to fade and peel, I'll just paint it flat black. No big deal.
My thoughts exactly; but something else occurred to me; for 3 years, you have a bumper to bumper warranty.
Paint falls off; take it back, and have them fix it for free.
After the 3 years; Krylon is on a 2 for 1 sale at least twice a year at Ace Hardware. :becky:

I've painted whole cars in spray can paints and it came out great; the trick is 2 helpers shaking cans and preloading the handles; when a can runs out, the next one is an arms length away. I did a TR3 in Sliver then a clear coat and you couldn't tell it was spray can when I finished. :thumb:

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly; but something else occurred to me; for 3 years, you have a bumper to bumper warranty.
Paint falls off; take it back, and have them fix it for free.
After the 3 years; Krylon is on a 2 for 1 sale at least twice a year at Ace Hardware. :becky:

I've painted whole cars in spray can paints and it came out great; the trick is 2 helpers shaking cans and preloading the handles; when a can runs out, the next one is an arms length away. I did a TR3 in Sliver then a clear coat and you couldn't tell it was spray can when I finished. :thumb:

OUTSTANDING!! I needed to know that. Once upon a time, I painted everything in the garage with overspray while painting a car. Who knew? My father-in-law was really pissed but healed in time.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
OUTSTANDING!! I needed to know that. Once upon a time, I painted everything in the garage with overspray while painting a car. Who knew? My father-in-law was really pissed but healed in time.
Oh the handles won't stop overspray; I have a roll down paint booth for that.
But you won't get spray can dents in your finger tips. or paint the inside of your hand.
You also get ALL the paint out of the can using the handles.

Top Bottom