• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Poll ---- Your interest in an electric Elio ?

Are you likely to be in the market for such a vehicle ?

• YES

Votes: 39 45.9%
  • NO

Votes: 46 54.1%

• Total voters

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree with your sentiments here entirely. If only more people would adopt this mantra themselves, especially the govt. As I think you miss that this is being thrust upon us over the next decade or so based upon questionable claims of saving money and environmental impacts. I have done the research, and for people like me with limited but stable resources, there is not any cost benefit at this time. Maybe they would let the free market decide instead of misguided legal mandate, but thats a pipe dream.

I think its foolish to casually throw away such a mature and stable technology en masse that has served to democratize personal transportation (and continues to) for all over the last 100+ years for one that has limited improvements, a laundry list of caveats, and dubious scalability.
Better to keep politics out of the discussion.……..far to divisive based on alternate facts and personal opinion. The market actually will decide, based on the “drive what you like, like what you drive mentality. I was skeptical of EVs, had range anxiety, and not affordable, but the prices come down and I was determined to have the personal experience. Glad I did. I’m not driving it to save money (although I do), save the planet (although it likely helps if one believes 97% of climate scientists, not the politicians), but rather it’s simply fun to drive. It’s my favorite vehicle over decades of vehicle ownership. The government isn’t mandating EVs, simply providing the same support/assistance it’s provided and continues to provide big oil over the decades, that helps to improve the tech and drive the cost down so the average family market demographic can afford to make the choice. I secretly hope someday we can tell the Arab oil producing countries to GFT’s. :)

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The market actually will decide...
Unless there is a law (like the one that goes into effect in California - 2035) that bans the sale of new gasoline powered cars. At that point, the market can't decide.
I was thinking about this new California law and how it does not affect motorcycles. Since Mark's BEX Mongrel has 3 wheels and is considered a motorcycle, it will not be banned in 2035. So it is possible that this could open the door for a HUGE demand for an ICE type of enclosed vehicle. I imagine there are plenty of people in California that don't want an electric car or hybrid vehicle.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unless there is a law (like the one that goes into effect in California - 2035) that bans the sale of new gasoline powered cars. At that point, the market can't decide.
I was thinking about this new California law and how it does not affect motorcycles. Since Mark's BEX Mongrel has 3 wheels and is considered a motorcycle, it will not be banned in 2035. So it is possible that this could open the door for a HUGE demand for an ICE type of enclosed vehicle. I imagine there are plenty of people in California that don't want an electric car or hybrid vehicle.
Oddly, I understand the logic behind that law in California after seeing the air quality improvement during the week long shutdown of commuter traffic during COVID. One could actually see the skyline and the ocean. Population: 39,000,000. Compare the number of registered vehicles to other States. By 2035 the market will likely have voluntarily chosen to drive EVs, as range increases, price decreases, and infrastructure expands to support it. Schell Oil Stations will probably have turned their gas pumps into super chargers by that time, I’ll be dead. I’m hoping the air is cleaner that moves from California to my home State of South Dakota. I wouldn’t move to California if Elon Musk offered to gift me Model X to do so. :)

Last edited:

Velhartice

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
@Rickb It looks like I’m going to agree to disagree with you to keep things from getting too sideways. After all this thread is supposed to be about interest in an electric Elio and we have both stated our thoughts about it by now, Merry Christmas.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
@Rickb It looks like I’m going to agree to disagree with you to keep things from getting too sideways. After all this thread is supposed to be about interest in an electric Elio and we have both stated our thoughts about it by now, Merry Christmas.
………and Happy New Year. I hope we all have the choice to drive EVElios.

Reaction score
This is a very interesting video about some electric car charging stations not working in the colder temperatures. This youtuber checked a number of stations and chargers, some worked in the cold and some didn't. Although a bit long, this video was very interesting.
"They don't work in the cold"
Well, That wasn't a surprise, but it was disappointing. Too all the people I was hoping to visit in my new vehicle, whenever I get it, I am not coming in an electric vehicle. I still might come. This electric world with its own jargon and language, I am just not interested in joining. My takeaway is 'Go Tesla or go gas'. Thanks for the post.

Reaction score
I don’t work in the cold either or leave home if it was that cold. Heck, I’ve had ICE vehicles that wouldn’t start in the cold and some days too cold to pump gas. ;)
Well, That's true with me too. I did venture out yesterday, for the first time in a week, to visit a friend while hubby went to Tuesday night chore practice. Roads were clear and I had no trouble ... no cops were out, lol. Sure enough I got stuck in her driveway and had to have hubby stop on his way home to push me off the little ice I couldn't wiggle off. I'm such a girl.

Top Bottom