• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Poll ---- Your interest in an electric Elio ?

Are you likely to be in the market for such a vehicle ?

• YES

Votes: 39 45.9%
  • NO

Votes: 46 54.1%

• Total voters

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, That wasn't a surprise, but it was disappointing. Too all the people I was hoping to visit in my new vehicle, whenever I get it, I am not coming in an electric vehicle. I still might come. This electric world with its own jargon and language, I am just not interested in joining. My takeaway is 'Go Tesla or go gas'. Thanks for the post.
If you ever test drive the electric Elio, you’ll be hooked. :)

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don’t work in the cold either or leave home if it was that cold. Heck, I’ve had ICE vehicles that wouldn’t start in the cold and some days too cold to pump gas. ;)
In the video, there was one individual that couldn't get home, had to find a hotel with a working charger and stay the night.
The few times my ICE vehicles didn't start (when I lived in cold area) was because I failed to load test the battery prior to winter and prep the car for winter driving/starting. That's on me (for not properly preparing the car). Otherwise, my vehicles always started in the winter.
If I needed to pump gas in the cold... I just bundled up and pumped gas.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In the video, there was one individual that couldn't get home, had to find a hotel with a working charger and stay the night.
The few times my ICE vehicles didn't start (when I lived in cold area) was because I failed to load test the battery prior to winter and prep the car for winter driving/starting. That's on me (for not properly preparing the car). Otherwise, my vehicles always started in the winter.
If I needed to pump gas in the cold... I just bundled up and pumped gas.
You assume that’s a problem based on that youtube video? Sounds like a specific
Brand fast charger replacement. The old remaining charger was apparently still working. You assume convenient access to 24 hour gas stops. Easy to find another charging location. You can certainly use that video as yet another reason to be skeptical of EV ownership. That is not a typical problem EV owners are concerned about. Plan to leave home with an 80-100% charge that will get you to your planned destination…….particularly with extreme weather in the forecast…….or stay home. My “tank” is fully charged overnight for when I leave the house In the morning. People run out of gas :) and cars don’t start or break down for whatever the reason. I assume the cars setting at those chargers still had enough charge to get to another charger or to a motel that offered overnight charging. Again, a non-issue for local driving and at the vary least careful planning on long road trips.

Last edited:

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You assume that’s a problem based on that youtube video?
I'm not assuming anything, I'm letting the video speak for itself. It is information to be consumed. I do think the youtuber did a comprehensive check of several chargers (even driving 50+ miles to check another set of chargers). He recorded the results & gave the statistics based on HIS vehicle.
He mentioned an E-tron driver that couldn't charge at that station and had to get a hotel room with a charger, again just information presented in the video.
As far as gasoline, I've driven cross country a number of times (day and night) never had a problem finding gasoline. I keep my vehicles in good running condition and do ALL of the required maintenance. I've only needed a tow truck once in my life and that was because a new CV shaft was improperly installed by a local shop and came out a day later.
I've never run out of gas, my gas gauge keeps me well informed as to how much is left in the tank. When I do drive cross country or on long trips, when the gauge hits 1/2; I fill up.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Drive what you like, like what you drive. However, don’t believe everything you think about EVs. I was skeptical, mostly range anxiety, finding charging locations, and the charge time on road trips compared to filling the gas tank, but my experience over the pat 2 1/2 years has been only positive. Zero repair or maintenance issues.

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There was a time where horse and buggy worked much better than horseless carriages. The infrustructure was no there to buy gas anywhere you wanted. A bag of oats and a stream was all you needed with a horse and buggy.

Currently,, we are in another phase where electric charging stations will be commonplace. Plus it will get standardized for plugs and charging. It’s only been about 10 years where EV’s started to come out in realistic production numbers to get the interest of creating an infrastructure for charging. Here we are and it’s getting better yet not perfect. Give it time.

Also, EV’s do break and wear out. Anyone that tells you different, is wearing rose colored glasses. Yes, there are the owners who have zero issues, just like people do with ICE. Mostly because they never rack up the mileage.

Ray O

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There was a time where horse and buggy worked much better than horseless carriages. The infrustructure was no there to buy gas anywhere you wanted. A bag of oats and a stream was all you needed with a horse and buggy.

Currently,, we are in another phase where electric charging stations will be commonplace. Plus it will get standardized for plugs and charging. It’s only been about 10 years where EV’s started to come out in realistic production numbers to get the interest of creating an infrastructure for charging. Here we are and it’s getting better yet not perfect. Give it time.

Also, EV’s do break and wear out. Anyone that tells you different, is wearing rose colored glasses. Yes, there are the owners who have zero issues, just like people do with ICE. Mostly because they never rack up the mileage.
Just as an aside in the city of New York to deal with the pollution from the horses the cabs were electric in the nineteenth hundreds'

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I expect issues with an EV, but far fewer parts to worry about in terms of wear, routine maintenance, repair, and replacement. First new car I’ve purchased that has had zero issues in 2 1/2 years of ownership………that could be unusual. I’m more concerned about potential technical (computer) issues over expected mechanical issues. My glasses are photo grey……clear to very very dark……no rose color whatsoever. Perhaps photo red would be a nice change of pace and helpful with high blood pressure.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I expect issues with an EV, but far fewer parts to worry about in terms of wear, routine maintenance, repair, and replacement. First new car I’ve purchased that has had zero issues in 2 1/2 years of ownership………that could be unusual. I’m more concerned about potential technical (computer) issues over expected mechanical issues. My glasses are photo grey……clear to very very dark……no rose color whatsoever. Perhaps photo red would be a nice change of pace and helpful with high blood pressure.
How many miles have you put on it in 30 months of ownership?

Top Bottom