• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

On Horse Power

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We used to do minor work on our vehicles, even changed the starter and alternator on my "74" Fiat ( fix it again Tony ) with help. But when we got our "86" Camry and opened the hood, I looked at my wife ( partner back then ) and said, " We're done working on vehicles." We found a great mechanic and he took care of us for 25 years. Then he retired on our money! LOL!
Had a 74 Fiat sport coupe, loved that car!

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
...then I became curious of the Elio specs vs my (shudder) 1976 Chevette with the 3speed slush box: 52 HP, 70 ftlbs torque and a curb weight just under 2000 lbs. The automatic 0-60 time was 19 minutes, no, wait, 19 seconds. And the EPA hwy mileage (at 55!, no AC!) was 30. HAH! I was lucky to get 25 mpg at 55-60, ever. That car would not spill your coffee...unless you fell asleep while holding it and waiting for 60!
You guys are scaring me. My work car is an 84 chevette 4 speed.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
..... Bolting on a turbo to the current engine would likely be possible however I doubt it would be recommended......

EM said, "it will be a very robust engine for its size." I think the internals should be up to mild boost levels...in the neighborhood of 50% boost (80hp). If tho, the compression ratio is around 12 to1(as someone suggested) it would require lower compression pistons and different valve timing. So the engine would definitely need to be assembled specifically for the turbo.

Last edited:

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Had a 74 Fiat sport coupe, loved that car!
Mine was that little square box with 4 doors, but it got great gas mileage back in "78". Traded my Vega in on it, after we had an unfortunate incident, with a large rock, at the end of a country road, in the middle of the night. I was ok but poor Vicky (vega) did not fair so well.

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I still remember when it was very few car that had one HP per Cubic inch. Dodge has a 273 that had 275 HP and Corvette's could do in a number if engines. the mighty Hemi 426 had 425 HP. The Elio has 55 Cubic inches and 55 HP. Compared to Motorcycle engines not as much HP but compared to cars impressive. Please build the we all will come.
Mid to late 50's VWs had 1200cc's & 36hp and then later 40hp. 1966 they upped it to1300cc's. My '69 had 1600cc's and still couldn't make 55 horse and could barely make 30 mpg and remember that was with 4 cylinders.
I get a kick out of people missing the 'muscle car years' I graduated in 1972 so I remember those years fondly too but you can go down to any of the big three showrooms today and drive out with a muscle car that will out perform anything from 'back in the day'.
What I do predict we will see in the near future is a return to the days when it seemed like every other car was a VW beetle (remember slug bug?) When people hear about us driving over 600 miles on 8 gallons of gas in an American made car for under $7000 who in their right mind wouldn't want one? And we won't even have to adjust the valves or gap the points. Ain't technology great!

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
EM said, "it will be a very robust engine for its size." I think the internals should be up to mild boost levels...in the neighborhood of 50% boost (80hp). If tho, the compression ratio is around 12 to1(as someone suggested) it would require lower compression pistons and different valve timing. So the engine would definitely need to be assembled specifically for the turbo.

I would like to know how Elio would make it run on 87 octane with 12 to 1 compression . 10 to 1 is pretty much the point you must raise the octane.

Top Bottom