• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Odds & Ends And All Things That Don't Fit Anything Else

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Glad to see you guys are still at it. They blocked all forums at work and by the time I get home, I want nothing to do with the computer. I'll keep coming around. I still have hope though that has cooled quite a bit. Still here though.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Change of subject: Solar Roadways. Yes I know, driving on glass panels seems crazy, but read the details and it looks like it will work. They are making version 4 now and getting ready to start selling them. No idea as to initial costs, but I like the idea for my driveway. (No more shoveling snow!).

https://solarroadways.com/specifics/solar/

What I also find interesting is their thought on converting all your home to DC and eliminating the losses due to conversion to AC. Problem with DC is it has greater losses than AC if going any distance. But if you had solar panels and a DC home that wouldn't be an issue.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I didn't want to start a new thread, and this is rather strange, so I figured to fit it in here

Gasoline-Scented Fragrance for New Ford Electric Cars?

No one said the blue oval wasn’t innovative. Think back to some of your best memories in life. They likely involved long road trips with family and loved ones. Who could forget those moments of pulling over to the gas station for a quick fill-up and snack run, only to get a whiff of that strong aroma of fuel. It’s a distinct smell that’ll penetrate our memories for a lifetime, and Ford seems to be playing into that. We thought it’s something an electric car couldn’t replicate – that is, until now.

Even those who have made the jump to electric admit their decision hasn’t fulfilled all of their needs. Ford listened to its consumers and developed a gasoline-scented fragrance for its electric vehicles with the hope they’ll make the jump to battery power. Will it work? That’s to be determined, but it’s apparent automakers are looking for innovative and unique ways to make this leap happen. Hummer has tried something similar with their WTF mode.
Ford recently debuted their Mach-Eau GT fragrance at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in England, where they had an opportunity to show off the latest Mustang Mach-E. Although the scent doesn’t smell exactly like gasoline, it fuses smoky accords, certain aspects of rubber, and an “animal” element as well. The animal element was created to give an impression of horses, paying homage to their Mustang brand. Interesting, to say the least.
A survey conducted by Ford recently, as reported by Autoevolution, asked consumers what they’ll miss most about internal combustion engines. The answer shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise as 70 percent of respondents replied with “the smell of gasoline.”
A spokesman from Ford commented on the unique and slightly bizarre concoction by saying, “judging by our survey findings, the sensational appeal of petrol cars is still something drivers are reluctant to give up. The Mach Eau fragrance is designed to give them a hint of that fuel-fragrance they still crave. It should linger long enough for the GT’s performance to make any other doubts vaporize too.”
Although it may not be enough to get the biggest gearhead into an electric car, you can’t argue with Ford’s out-of-the-box thinking.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Pretty funny, 'smell of napalm in the morning'?

OK this is a totally off the wall thread,, amm anyone want to see the patent on scuba fins I have given up on?
I mean, it's interesting, but only half developed. It so dang much work to do each prototype, I just don't want to do it.

This whole subject now exists at a better forum for it.. HERE

Last edited:

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Pretty funny, 'smell of napalm in the morning'?

OK this is a totally off the wall thread,, amm anyone want to see the patent on scuba fins I have given up on?
I mean, it's interesting, but only half developed. It so dang much work to do each prototype, I just don't want to do it.

It IS different, wanna see it? For sh..ts and giggles? I'm just checking first.

Here is the tickler... it IS a mouth full. (And maybe no thread is appropriate for this topic on this entire forum.)

Title
BLADE FOR A SWIM FIN WITH INTERNAL MECHANISUM USED TO ACTUATE BENDING OF A FOIL BLADE.

Abstract
A blade assembly for each of a bi-peddle swim fin pair where each fin contains one of several internal mechanical means to force each blade into a hydro foil profile resulting from an automatic reaction to forces encountered during a kick stroke. The profile of the foils reshapes to a reverse profile in the opposite stroke, and flattens out as forces reach a zero or neutral force between strokes. The mechanism requires two axles and holds the foil at an optimal position relative to the fin boot. Pressure in reaction to the relative flow of water are the only forces required to enact the shaping of the blade. Several different means of shaping are presented as well as optional features for the blade and support structure.
I'm afraid in this day and age if it doesn't have batteries it won't sell. The mechanism sounds interesting but maybe heavy. Maybe a little foam to counter the weight?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm afraid in this day and age if it doesn't have batteries it won't sell. The mechanism sounds interesting but maybe heavy. Maybe a little foam to counter the weight?
The project name for my fins, I call that 'Pretty Fins'. There are actually a number of interesting human powered devices out there. Even some that pedal.
The danger with electrics, they let you go too far, then run out of juice. And you are stuck. Now you have to track charge as well as air, etc etc.

Heavy was the operative word for Pretty Fin. It was neutral buoyant however. Fixing the issues is what multiple prototypes would have accomplished. It is a solvable problem, along with the other adjustments that were needed. The only time weight (at this level) matters to your foot kick is when it is a fast flutter kick. My next version would likely have been half the current weight.

Those current super long fins on the market are very heavy too. And they do the 'long slow kick' best, but still, they can be put into flutter mode. I have a $250 pair of those. I had acquired 20 pairs of fins for my testing, to make comparisons. I ended up only testing with 8 of them, and only the one test series.

The first Pretty Fin prototype was successful with respect to the performance measured. The test was good, but the potential was much much higher than that. Possibly as much as twice the thrust for the same effort. 1.25% would have been notable. But that remains to be proven.

However both weight and those other issues must be dealt with. Weight wasn't as big a deal as getting the stiffness right. There are other attributes to deal with as well.

Surprisingly, weight was more of a problem for packing and carrying, since it was neutral buoyant. But stiffness was a multilayered tradeoff, hence the need for a number of prototypes to investigate those tradeoffs. Each test would require new molds and other tooling. And my materials were limited. It is all just too much for me. I'd rather save myself to work on Atlantric, "Thank you very much!". Atlantric has a much more predictable outcome.

I'm still considering where I should release the 'Pretty Fin' so that it becomes 'open source.'

I let 'Indigo Industries' see a copy of the provisional patent, and had them sign a non-disclosure. But they don't really worry about patents. They just try to be first to market. However, they are not doing anything with my idea as best I can tell. And I doubt they will pay me anything for it. So I will just open source it.

But where?
View attachment 25023View attachment 25024

Pssstttt Ari - Your attachments no longer work ! -Coss

Last edited by a moderator:

hawg_ryder

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, It's not an Elio, but it's a reverse trike and I'm having fun with it so far... My 2021 Can Am Spyder RT/Limited...
signal-2022-08-03-184243_002.jpeg

Just had a fresh set of Yokohama's (the Kenda OEMs sucked), Elka Stg 2 shocks, and a Baja Ron Sway bar installed... Big improvement! I'd still buy the Elio if it appeared (the Spyder's A/C is a little weak ;)) on the market...

Top Bottom