• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
No one noticed the "84.1 mpg" gag? LOL .....
I did notice it .... didn't believe it the first go round either .... :confused2:.... as has been often stated, most everything involves a compromise .....

I expect under 1500lbs, the 'outrigger' wheels are terrible for drag sadly, well proven fact, and I will have a flat bottom ...
flat bottom, that's great to hear .... as is often mentioned, in this area most things involve compromise .... I'm happy to give up some mileage to have outrigger front wheels and an automatic transmission ..... does your harvested steering column have an airbag ..?

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mapping out the beginnings of a slightly different firewall area to make production easier,

..... and some crossmembers to mount the fuel tank ..

firewall fuel tank mount.jpg

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As I was de-structuring the prototype today, I took a picture because it reminded me of those cars cut in half for display at motor shows.

I also sat the new side on the chassis looking at differences and various measurements ....

half car.jpg

But will there be a smooth surfaced belly-pan?

Yes, why not.

The aluminum ones we had

Would have been terrible on hot days absorbing the increased heat from the road.

Fiberglass, if I can, will avoid that, less noise, a softer feel etc.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sometimes I have big wins that don't look so obvious.

The footwell is the area under the dash where your legs and feet go, of course where the pedals are.

I have been on the computer all afternoon, and moved tubes around to figure out how to make the footwell literally a 5 sided box, that can be built on the bench, and simply slid into place from the driver's area.

It's a real win to make life easier. The theoretical "box" is shown in purple here, though in real life it will need some holes, humps and bumps to mount various components, not least the brake master cylinder.

footwell.jpg

solid.jpg

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
very innovative .... do you plan to secure it in place by tack welding, permanent welding, bolting or some other method ..???

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
very innovative .... do you plan to secure it in place by tack welding, permanent welding, bolting or some other method ..???

I will use bolting as well as liberal amounts of polydimethylsiloxane, being as the 'box' will be fiberglass being attached to steel frame components.

Top Bottom