1. Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Hate the new look? Click Here to learn how to go back to the old one!

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Discussion in 'Similar Vehicles' started by Mark BEX, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Mark BEX

Mark BEX Elio Addict

What, you think this is an advertisement for 'Bullworker'? :D

I'll see what I can do.

Bert likes this.
  2. JEBar

JEBar Moderator Staff Member Moderator

no clue what a 'Bullworker' is .... none the less, I appreciate it :cool:

3. Mark BEX

Mark BEX Elio Addict

"The Bullworker" was an exercise machine to build muscle, made famous by a comic strip on the back page of many comics in the 1970s, i.e. "before and after" ...

[​IMG]

ehwatt likes this.
  4. Mark BEX

Mark BEX Elio Addict

Over to the next city today and picked up 4 new lower control arms.

Add the old 2 and that gives me 6 to test 2 methods to extend them, bring on tomorrow ...

lower arms 1.jpg

Bert, 84mpg and ehwatt like this.
  5. Mark BEX

Mark BEX Elio Addict

My preferred method to extend the lower control arm is to very simply have a steel extension welded onto the stock arm.
    As the piece of paper depicts, it's simply a rectangle with folded sides, and a few holes for a 'bolt on' lower ball joint from a common car.

lower arms 2.jpg
    The original is a permanent, welded in ball joint, that you can't replace, only the whole arm (I hate that), so this is also an advantage later on if need to replace the ball joint only.
    The original ball presses out easily, and the welded in casing left is very strong foundation for the extension.

lower arms 3.jpg

84mpg and ehwatt like this.
  6. DikiJ

DikiJ Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    Yea, I remember those ads. We just called them the "Charles Atlas" ads.

Mark BEX likes this.
  7. Crazydog

Crazydog Elio Fan

Been enjoying the pics and posts. Brought me back daily to site to see advances in your project

how will this work on production? Same issues Paul had with having to build five for crash testing etc?

next question would be for off the shelf products for any repairs. Will there be a breakdown on parts so it is not like that Johnny Cash song and Cadillacs?

Bert, 84mpg and ehwatt like this.
  8. Mark BEX

Mark BEX Elio Addict

There are thousands of lower control arms that suit different models all over the World, so I didn't look very hard for an alternative, I mean how much time do you waste on the off chance?

But anyway, last night I Googled some pictures and almost immediately saw a picture of an arm's dimensions (unusual in itself) and noticed it looked close, measured my arms and it was the same dimensions, couldn't believe it - and it's the Chevrolet Aveo, sold in 120 Countries what's more!

So off to my local shop this morning, and grabbed one to try it. It fits, needs a spacer or 2, no problem, but good news is the ball joint is a bolt in, and very easy to extend out without any welding, move it out one hole, and just add some bolt up bracing, making this item available completely "off the shelf" in the USA [​IMG]

lower arms 4.jpg

it's unusual to find a dimensional picture of a part like this ...

lower arms 5.jpg

Part of production is having a parts supply setup as well, takes a lot of money to do that, but of course i's where a lot of manufacturers make profit for decades.

I want to avoid that as much as possible, so the more 'off the shelf' parts I can add into the picture, the easier it is for me and you, and where I can, I will supply drawings and CAD files to make replacement parts as easy and as cheaply as possible.

Here are these arms at Autozone for example ..
    https://bit.ly/39MEjhP

Well they started out crash testing motorcycles back in the 70's, but they soon ran out of volunteers ... :eek::D

There is no "crash testing" for motorcycles, Elio did computer crash simulations to inspire confidence, if he was genuine about safety, or just to give people confidence to get more deposits, it's only a question he can answer.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  9. W. WIllie

W. WIllie Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    Glad to see the KISS concept is still a priority. Thank You.

Mark BEX likes this.
  10. Rickb

Rickb Elio Addict

Crash testing no, but there is FMVSS certification requirements for motorcycles. Arcimoto sent multiple Beta FUVs to private testing labs. The testing process and required changes needed to FMVSS certify their production model motorcycle took well over a year. Arcimoto’s CEO called it nightmare experience. Arcimoto also used KISS and the off the shelf parts strategy. They fabricate many parts in house, but are still having various issues with parts and materials suppliers that has slowed ramping production numbers. “It ain’t easy bringing a new vehicle to market.”

ehwatt likes this.