• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Model 3 Vs Elio

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Let's agree that Elio is answerable to RACER Trust with regard to the 1500 jobs and any contract on the old GM plant is between IDG (Industrial Development Group which received funding from Caddo Parish) and IRG (Industrial Reality Group which is owned by Stu Lichter.) Caaddo Parish Commission has stated in press releases that they are not a part of the agreements.
Yes, I agree on the Racer Trust plant and jobs contract obligations. However, the State government's Competitive Project's Payroll Incentives, the LED FastStart Program, and any Caddo Parrish economic development incentives go directly to EM after the Racer Trust Contract obligations are met and production begins.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I agree on the Racer Trust plant and jobs contract obligations. However, the State government's Competitive Project's Payroll Incentives, the LED FastStart Program, and any Caddo Parrish economic development incentives go directly to EM after the Racer Trust Contract obligations are met and production begins.

Agree in principal, however those programs are not a part of any specific contract between EM and Caddo Parish. They are mostly programs available to any qualifying company doing business in Louisiana in general or the specific areas covered by those programs. Some are even specified in state law.

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Agree in principal, however those programs are not a part of any specific contract between EM and Caddo Parish. They are mostly programs available to any qualifying company doing business in Louisiana in general or the specific areas covered by those programs. Some are even specified in state law.
The initial post regarding the politics making incentive programs available somehow turned into the contract discussion. The politics of incentives has nothing to do with the contract.

My initial point was there are government incentives for EV's (Tesla Motors) and government incentives for high mpg ICE vehicles (Elio Motors). I am confused and puzzled why some complain about government incentives for EV's and support government incentives for Elio.
I like the fact there are incentive programs for Tesla Motors and Elio Motors to increase the odds of them being successful and actually profitable in the long term.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Bob Lutz isn't buying what Tesla's selling
"Maximum" Bob Lutz says the Model X is too complicated and the 3 will be delayed.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/17/bob-lutz-tesla-interview/
Elon Musk said the Model X was too complicated, but he wanted to pack in every feature he personally wanted in the car. Musk's Model 3 philosophy is simplicity of the vehicles design and engineering along with the efficiency in the build and manufacturing process. Tesla's original goal was to manufacture an affordable EV for the masses. The high cost Coupe, Model S, and Model X helped to finance and insure that goal.

There doesn't seem to be a viable reason for a delay in the Model 3's Production start, but only a potential problem with ramping up the plants production capacity to 500,000 vehicles 2 years earlier than anticipated because of the high demand in reservations. Also, parts suppliers not being able to supply the adequate number of parts required. His goal is to make all parts in-house.

Probably why Bob Lutz doesn't work for Tesla Motors.

voyager

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Bob Lutz reminds me of the Far Side cartoon (Gary Larson) in which you see a futuristic building with the neon sign "Tonite George Burns"... It's an older cartoon when Burns was still living (he became a 100 years old). See if I can find it in my stuff.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The initial post regarding the politics making incentive programs available somehow turned into the contract discussion. The politics of incentives has nothing to do with the contract.

My initial point was there are government incentives for EV's (Tesla Motors) and government incentives for high mpg ICE vehicles (Elio Motors). I am confused and puzzled why some complain about government incentives for EV's and support government incentives for Elio.
I like the fact there are incentive programs for Tesla Motors and Elio Motors to increase the odds of them being successful and actually profitable in the long term.

I am not against the programs that support businesses.
Those programs help American job growth which we definitely need.
I am against my tax money being used to bribe people to purchase a product.
There is no comparable program for Extremely High Mileage ICE Vehicles.
If you know of a program that will provide a tax incentive to an individual for buying an Elio I'm sure a lot of us would be interested.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am not against the programs that support businesses.
Those programs help American job growth which we definitely need.
I am against my tax money being used to bribe people to purchase a product.
There is no comparable program for Extremely High Mileage ICE Vehicles.
If you know of a program that will provide a tax incentive to an individual for buying an Elio I'm sure a lot of us would be interested.
You call it a bribe, I call it an incentive. Plenty of tax dollar bribes/incentives to support our Elio's success after EM gets a proof of concept on the test track. Go Elio!

Whatever the government's vehicle bribe/incentive program's that support ATVMs.............tax credit bribes/incentives or economic development bribes/incentives that supports the creation of new jobs, makes new technology affordable to the masses, and boosts the economy is fine with me. Tesla Motors currently is providing thousands of jobs as a direct result of the tax incentives and the ATVM Loan programs and will continue to provide thousands more with their plans to increase production to 500,000 vehicles per year and the official opening of the Gigafactory. Perhaps we can look at it this way..........the EV tax credit programs are being supported by my tax dollars and yours are supporting other programs you favor. After all it is 'our' tax dollars so it's a Win Win.

If the end result gets a Tesla Model 3 with a driveable range extending Elio option in my garage.......... I will engage my inner dance mode.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You call it a bribe, I call it an incentive. Plenty of tax dollar bribes/incentives to support our Elio's success after EM gets a proof of concept on the test track. Go Elio!

Whatever the government's vehicle bribe/incentive program's that support ATVMs.............tax credit bribes/incentives or economic development bribes/incentives that supports the creation of new jobs, makes new technology affordable to the masses, and boosts the economy is fine with me. Tesla Motors currently is providing thousands of jobs as a direct result of the tax incentives and the ATVM Loan programs and will continue to provide thousands more with their plans to increase production to 500,000 vehicles per year and the official opening of the Gigafactory. Perhaps we can look at it this way..........the EV tax credit programs are being supported by my tax dollars and yours are supporting other programs you favor. After all it is 'our' tax dollars so it's a Win Win.

If the end result gets a Tesla Model 3 with a driveable range extending Elio option in my garage.......... I will engage my inner dance mode.

View attachment 9521

I am talking about the, up to, $7000 individual tax credit that an individual gets for buying a BPV.
(Battery Powered Vehicle)
That has nothing to do with the ATVM program.
It has nothing to do with jobs.
Set up a similar program for all vehicles that get over 75 MPG highway (EPA) and my argument will go away.
It takes tax dollars and gives people a special incentive to buy a BPV.

Top Bottom