• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Mirrors And Other "cheap" Stuff

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We don"t need no stinking electric mirrows, for goodness sake ---roll down the window (which is right by your arms,) exert yourself enough to reach out and manually adjust your mirrow!! (cost remember, that must stay down or this adventure will be another "Tucker" and no one wants that!!!)

KScarguy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK...you can have air conditioning, power windows, stereo, and traction control...but the idea of installing a good looking and functional mirror with a little arm intruding into the interior is too costly? Believe me, you want good mirrors on this. 1. You don't have the middle mirror and 2. you will be surrounded by gawkers. 3. Remember, the view out the side mirror is NOT at all like on a normal car. The mirrors are both shifted towards the center of the road by 20" or so...i.e., meaning that your view is already hindered and the blind spot is larger. IMO they should not cheap out on safety features.

I can make the opposing argument that they can save money and weight by eliminating the roll cage and air bags too...but would you want that? I think they should build it better and install good mirrors.

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mirrors with integrated blind spot glass would be great for the inside part of both mirrors. May be the only way to get decent views to the side and rear.

KScarguy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've seen the P4 mirrors on street rods and they always strike me as an afterthought. Look close and you will see that there is a big screw that holds the head to the arm.

I noticed a similar issue with the A/C control on the P4, they are billet aluminum knobs normally found on a street rod and they look out of place on the dashboard.

I also noticed that the back window on the P4 has a different curve than the door glass. I assume they will fix that in the production model too...(hopefully)

I know it is just a prototype.....but it all makes me wonder: "Will the production model be built to a higher standard?"

Again...I am not trying to bash it, I just hope it is built well

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think that they will have an adjusting piece so you can adjust the mirror from inside the car. They are trying to keep costs down so you can always swap on better knobs if you like.

I do worry about the blind spot since you can't see out the back. When I pick it up at the factory, I'll probably drive straight to the nearest Napa and get 2 blind spot mirror for the side mirrors. I'd certainly pay more for it as an option if they offer it. I think that the company is crunched to release a prototype like the p4 which is why certain small details have been overlooked

bird

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
My truck is 25 years old. Ten years ago I re-attached the mirror glass in the side mirrors with silicon adhesive because they were coming loose. They don't have an inside adjustable feature because it is a classic. The thing about it is, I never have to adjust them because they are in the same place they were when I got out of truck and park it. Oh, when I re-attached the glass I did have to re-adjust them. First time in a long long time. Once in a while someone, like me, will bump into one of them and I will have to adjust. I have one of those little round oval "blind spot" stick on mirrors in the corner of each one. Works great since there is a cap on the truck and there is always something I'm haling blocking my view in the rear-view mirror. I am use to not being able to see out the back. I guess I said all of this to say I don't really give a rats if they are adjustable or not.
Just give me my in-expensive, aerodynamic, sharp looking, head turning, gas sipping, five star rated, roll cage, three air bag, front fender skirts, one rear wheel, no rear window, no side window defrost, standard heat and AC, no cruse (if necessary), no leather seats, pulling package, not very far off the ground for snow travel, black like my motorcycle, Elio. And I will be a happy camper. :D

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My truck is 25 years old. Ten years ago I re-attached the mirror glass in the side mirrors with silicon adhesive because they were coming loose. They don't have an inside adjustable feature because it is a classic. The thing about it is, I never have to adjust them because they are in the same place they were when I got out of truck and park it. Oh, when I re-attached the glass I did have to re-adjust them. First time in a long long time. Once in a while someone, like me, will bump into one of them and I will have to adjust. I have one of those little round oval "blind spot" stick on mirrors in the corner of each one. Works great since there is a cap on the truck and there is always something I'm haling blocking my view in the rear-view mirror. I am use to not being able to see out the back. I guess I said all of this to say I don't really give a rats if they are adjustable or not.

I have a 1990 F150 with the old western style mirrors. Not adjustable either. The mirror loosens up off the bracket every once in a while and a have to tighten it up again. That's the only time I have to adjust my mirrors unless I'm going through the drivethru. Power mirrors are nice but not really needed on an entry level car

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
+1 for bird and JP. I'm confident that the mirrors that are on the P4 aren't representative of what we'll see in production. Adjustable from inside or not, consider this. Given the front to rear taper of the vehicle, I expect to have equal or better visibility from my Elio than I have from my motorcycle. I believe we'll be able to see an object directly behind the vehicle in both mirrors unless it's too low to be seen above the top of the rear end. In that case, a rear window isn't necessary except for aesthetic value.

Last edited:

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK I have mentioned this before- but please put a locking glovebox in the Elio...Even a small one... Us Texans need that space to lock up our bibles and our guns ;-)

Not sure if it will have a glovebox at all since the car is only a single wide. Maybe they will integrate a compartment behind the shifter which would be nice

Top Bottom