• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Mirrors And Other "cheap" Stuff

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Replacing the rearview mirrors is against NHTSA regulations. They may be used to augment rear vision but cannot be used to replace mirrors. By 2018 all cars and small truckg have been mandated to have a backup cam, but as yet cannot be used to replace..

Now that rearview cameras are being required automakers are asking the NHTSA to change the rules to allow replacing mirrors with cameras:

Goodbye, side mirror: Automakers push for cameras - http://www.cnbc.com/id/101553477

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I could see putting a small monitor up where the rear view mirror would be and a small backup camera... as an option, of course. Cars are only required to have one mirror outside, right? I know it would look different with only the one mirror but come on, it's not like you won't be able to see out.

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I saw somewhere a concept car that only had cameras
There are some concepts out there with only cameras. Some European auto mfgs are hollering both about cameras as well as our archaic regs concerning lighting. The US spec is in watts while a LED measured at 5 watts may be nearly 50% brighter than a light measured at 30 watts yet because the regs specify watts the LED unit is illegal. Hopefully it will be soon but changing anything government is a slow process.

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I could see putting a small monitor up where the rear view mirror would be and a small backup camera... as an option, of course. Cars are only required to have one mirror outside, right? I know it would look different with only the one mirror but come on, it's not like you won't be able to see out.
A backup camera is quite unnecessary with the Elio. with its tapered and thin body the 2 rear views converge views almost immediately behind the vehicles backend.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A backup camera is quite unnecessary with the Elio. with its tapered and thin body the 2 rear views converge views almost immediately behind the vehicles backend.
I figure it probably would. I haven't seen it in person yet and wondered how the view towards the back would be. I think it would be a little disconcerting at first to those of us used to looking out the back window or in the rear view mirror prior to backing.

Inigo93

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Cars are only required to have one mirror outside, right? I know it would look different with only the one mirror but come on, it's not like you won't be able to see out.
Don't know about *everywhere* but the last time I checked (and yes, I have checked although it's been some time).... In California motor vehicles are required to have two mirrors for rear visibility. One of those mirrors must be on the driver's side. The other may either be internal (ie, the normal "rear view mirror") or on the passenger's side. As the Elio doesn't have a back window, clearly the passenger's side mirror is the remaining option.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't know about *everywhere* but the last time I checked (and yes, I have checked although it's been some time).... In California motor vehicles are required to have two mirrors for rear visibility. One of those mirrors must be on the driver's side. The other may either be internal (ie, the normal "rear view mirror") or on the passenger's side. As the Elio doesn't have a back window, clearly the passenger's side mirror is the remaining option.
Huh. You are probably right. My '65 Mustang only had the rearview and a drivers side mirror. I didnt' think that there might be a law dictating 2 mirrors but not requiring them to be outside. If that's the law anywhere, they'll have to put both on there so that the car can be sold in all 50 states. I'm not sure what if any wind resistance would be saved anyway (it would be a little cheaper though).

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Remember it is not a car it is a motorcycle. here in Mississippi no mirrors required.
Is Mississippi the only state in which you plan on taking your Elio? Just one more reason we need a uniform classification for the Autocycle, Folks, quit thinking about 'YOUR STATE' and think about the universality of the project!

Top Bottom