• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Mirrors And Other "cheap" Stuff

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did you not read my post on this thread that said I would buy them if they are not optioned? They are only 5 dollars so no big deal. While I expect little from a prototype, they are simply things I notice. And I never criticized the trim, or window curvature. I care because I am investing my hard earned money into a vehicle I hope to drive into the ground. Even though it is cheap, I don't want a half-baked Elio either. The topic of this thread was to talk about cheap things we will be adding to make our cars better, like lock boxes and blind spot mirrors. I'd rather Elio not cut any corners but I guess you do not agree..... I'm frustrated with American cars, particularly the interiors, because they look cheap, half-assed and throw together. Excuse me if I don't want that on my car. The Devil's in the details, even small things like mirrors and trim. So you could say I give a frackity frack :eek:
I can appreciate where you're coming from, but the last Honda I owned went to salvage not because the drivetrain died, but the interior and every accessory on the vehicle fell apart or just quit. The a/c, mirrors, wipers, blower, heater controls, power windows, power locks, alarm system, safety interlocks, etc, etc, etc all malfunctioned in some way. If honda can't get that stuff to last on a car that costs four times as much, and they're supposed to be top of the line, I don't really expect all THAT much from Elio.I would rather they focus on a highly reliable drivetrain and keep the rest simple and repairable. I can still get to work if the power windows don't go up, but a bad crank angle sensor or a fuel pressure regulator will make for a bad day, especially if you're stuck doing your own troubleshooting and can't afford to just have it towed to a mechanic and drop a grand or two.
Actually Elio may well be the first vehicle ever to have NOTHING to gain frommechanical failure since they don't have a service center to make money with.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really hope the right mirror is not the "... closer than it appears" type. The fact that they HAVE to WARN us shows there is something faulty there. It may be just me, I am like that.
There's nothing different about the right mirrors in cars... It's just that people forget to add in the distance their face is from the mirror. If it looks 20' away on the driver's side (12' behind mirror + 3' from face to the mirror), it will look 17' away in the passenger's mirror (12' behind mirror + 5' from face to mirror) - Hence, "objects in mirror are closer than they appear". Since you are in the center of the Elio, objects will appear the same in either mirror... which will still appear to be 3' further away than they actually are (distance from face to mirror).

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I do get a chuckle out of concerns expressed about no rear view mirrors - never had one on any of my motorcycles over the last several decades, so even when I'm driving a car, I'm always looking in the side-view mirrors.
When I read this, I realized that after riding MCs again for thee years, I almost never look in my RVM... only in my side mirrors. Wow!
The spoiler on the 'Stang partially blocks the RVM view anyway.
I can jack my head around to see what's low and directly behind the bikes before backing the things up.
The only reason to have an "eagle-eye" view directly behind the Elio would be for backing it up.
As far as "no room", mount a thin, but decently sized, monitor on the visor and just flip it down when you're ready to back the vehicle up.
Small "blind-spot" discs recommended for the sides and camera for the rear.

Last edited:

trock59

Elio Addict
Reaction score
People...People.... it's a $6800 vehicle :rolleyes: realitycheck_zpseb6599bd.gif
Yup, If you want to customize it go ahead and buy one. Considering the average cheap new car is around $14,000 you've got $7000 left over to make it like you want it! I'll install a custom stereo and have the windows tinted first, then I can go for a cruise to see how far $20 bucks of gas will go!

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's nothing different about the right mirrors in cars... It's just that people forget to add in the distance their face is from the mirror. If it looks 20' away on the driver's side (12' behind mirror + 3' from face to the mirror), it will look 17' away in the passenger's mirror (12' behind mirror + 5' from face to mirror) - Hence, "objects in mirror are closer than they appear". Since you are in the center of the Elio, objects will appear the same in either mirror... which will still appear to be 3' further away than they actually are (distance from face to mirror).

I could be wrong, but "those" mirrors sure seem to present a compressed view like a convex surface would.. I really think they won't be necessary, much less as safe.

ks6c

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I read this, I realized that after riding MCs again for thee years, I almost never look in my RVM... only in my side mirrors. Wow!
The spoiler on the 'Stang partially blocks the RVM view anyway.
I can jack my head around to see what's low and directly behind the bikes before backing the things up..

The TourPak on my Harley is as wide, if not wider, than the tapered end of the Elio, so I really believe I will have an enhanced view with production (not prototype) mirrors.

As far as "no room", mount a thin, but decently sized, monitor on the visor and just flip it down when you're ready to back the vehicle up.

I'd be looking for room for a 23" monitor without my reading glasses! <lol>

Top Bottom