• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Maybe A Helmet Wouldn't Be So Bad...

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if wearing seat belts will be required by law or optional because of the Elio's motorcycle classification? I'm wearing mine........but the thought just crossed my mind. Definitely no helmet in any shape of form.......not even Skully.

Joe Coppinger

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got to get me one of these for my black night rider Elio
Hay Dustoff, did you guys look like this?

A Uh-60 Black Hawk Helicopter Crew Photograph - A Uh-60 Black Hawk

[Broken External Image]
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYgY4n7dkNeOdBKvkler6A-jxEHjKPpQu1u-V9A87LeFDdSlpv.jpg
700px-BlackHawkDoorGunnerHelmet.jpg
Then you definetly need the new vintage 1940 military series gauges
http://www.newvintageusa.com/images/40254-01.jpg
and a elio skin like with a military helo theme...

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
nice gauges! btw, has anyone considered the safety of the one door design, in the the possibility of a roll over that comes to rest on the left side?
as long as the electrics are still working, maybe the right side window can still be opened for an escape hatch, unless the frame is misshapen too much to allow the window to open. doesn't seem to be enough room to position ones self to allow kicking out a window or windshield.
another thought, and maybe a little off topic for this thread, but has anyone thought of saddle bags instead of a trailer? a bracket that bolts under the frame, under the rear seat area, could have quick disconnects, to allow removal of bags at destination and a clean look to the Elio when the bags are removed. it may cause some aerodynamic drag but less weight and drag than a trailer would. and then there is the backing issue!

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
nice gauges! btw, has anyone considered the safety of the one door design, in the the possibility of a roll over that comes to rest on the left side?
as long as the electrics are still working, maybe the right side window can still be opened for an escape hatch, unless the frame is misshapen too much to allow the window to open. doesn't seem to be enough room to position ones self to allow kicking out a window or windshield.
another thought, and maybe a little off topic for this thread, but has anyone thought of saddle bags instead of a trailer? a bracket that bolts under the frame, under the rear seat area, could have quick disconnects, to allow removal of bags at destination and a clean look to the Elio when the bags are removed. it may cause some aerodynamic drag but less weight and drag than a trailer would. and then there is the backing issue!
I'm not a car person, but I honestly can't see how the Elio could roll over. It has a very low center of gravity and the spread of the front wheels should make that very difficult unless it is pushed off a cliff. How many vehicles have you rolled over? I can imagine the Elio being pushed aside as a more likely senario. :-) Z

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
The area described is filled by the gas tank, and the rest of the space is filled by the tire and swing arm and the necessary room for motion. As for the possibility of rolling over onto its door the solution is a window punch.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The early Cobra gunships had the same problem. The pilot doors were on opposite sides so in a crash and the ship went on it's side someone couldn't get out (in the days before explosive bolts). Army's fix was canopy smasher. It looked like a heavy handlebar grip with an inch long spike on one end. Modern minivans with sliding doors (particularly power sliding doors) are hard to exit from the back in a roll over. Once again the fix is tiny but heavy hatchet (tomahawk) with a spike on one side and a seat belt cutter on the other usually bright orange for easy location at a stressful time.

Top Bottom