• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Manual Or Power Steering?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I remember asking my dad (after seeing one on a neighbors truck) why we didn't have one on the family station wagon. He said "because the ball can break off unexpectedly, :eek: causing accidents"...good enough for me. :)
Oh, about power steering...It came to mind that because they are trying to source cheap (inexpensive) parts that are currently in production, powersteering units may be cheaper & more readily available.
For safety sake keep one hand on the necker's suicide knob and the other on the steering wheel in case the knob breaks off during high speed parking maneuvers. I'm a luxury guy and prefer power everything...........my middle initial......P............for Power!

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For safety sake keep one hand on the necker's suicide knob and the other on the steering wheel in case the knob breaks off during high speed parking maneuvers. I'm a luxury guy and prefer power everything...........my middle initial......P............for Power!
I have never had power doors so I could care less about those but I must admit I like my power mirrors, power windows and power seat. I don't even have a middle initial to use as an excuse. Oh wait, my maiden name started with a P. That will do. LOL :-)

And I definitely remember the knobs on steering wheels but was too young to know what necking meant. Did they even call it necking in the 1940s? Again I was too young to know. LOL :-) Z

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well look at it this way, if your Elio has power steering part of your 55hp will be spent driving it instead of the front wheels.

AltoidBox

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
It still takes power. Now you have your alternator sucking HP instead of a hydraulic pump.
I'm sure one kind has a much greater effect than the other.

From the Wikipedia:
Electric systems have an advantage in fuel efficiency because there is no belt-driven hydraulic pump constantly running, whether assistance is required or not, and this is a major reason for their introduction.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure one kind has a much greater effect than the other.

From the Wikipedia:
Electric systems have an advantage in fuel efficiency because there is no belt-driven hydraulic pump constantly running, whether assistance is required or not, and this is a major reason for their introduction.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
In the end no. Energy can not be created or destroyed only changed from one form to another. When your not using it to build pressure the hydraulic pump is not adding that much drag. The increased electrical demand will place a greater load on the alternator taking more HP to drive it. You might not notice if you're got power to spare but when you've hot 55HP or likely less in the production model you'd notice for sure. There may be a tiny advantage depending on the engineering however, Its more likely that if a manufacturer is using an electric set up it's because if space issues not the almost unmeasurable fuel savings.

This is all just academic anyway it would be silly to put any kind of power steering on a car so light that one man could pick up the front end. (well two men for some of us)

Paolo

Elio Fan
Reaction score
In the end no. Energy can not be created or destroyed only changed from one form to another. When your not using it to build pressure the hydraulic pump is not adding that much drag. The increased electrical demand will place a greater load on the alternator taking more HP to drive it. You might not notice if you're got power to spare but when you've hot 55HP or likely less in the production model you'd notice for sure. There may be a tiny advantage depending on the engineering however, Its more likely that if a manufacturer is using an electric set up it's because if space issues not the almost unmeasurable fuel savings.

While true, energy is or is not, the concept is miss-applied. It's really about power consumption, but we'll consider this in terms of energy. Power = Energy / time.

The Wikipedia state is correct. A pump must be turned all the time. Hence, energy is always wasted when not in use. For 'power' steering, this is the case (waste) 99% of the time..
The alternator always needs to be be engaged and always draws power (energy), so no added waste by virtue of its existence. It uses 'extra' power only when electric load demands it.

When drawing power for an electric assist of any kind, only then is the energy consumed. Much more efficient. Consider the electric radiator fan. Auto makers stopped using belt driven fans in the 1980's for this very reason - waste of power (energy). Notice how it only turns on when needed. This is also what makes an pure electric car so efficient and can reduce oil consumption even if the power plant burns oil to generate electricity.

Living in the dawn of the re-emergence of electric vehicles, electrically driven accoutrements shall become commonplace, hence a fordable. Such devices also afford programability and flexibility that mechanical systems (like belt, chain, or gear driven components) cannot achieve. Think of fuel injection compared to a carburetor. Complexity and weight are often reduced in this process. Valve trains will be the next big success story if politics allow it.

Now that I've returned to this forum, ranted, and used up mental, electrical, and typing energy, ignore this post since there should be no need for power steering on an Elio. It's a motorcycle! Who puts power steering on a motorcycle? (As I write this, someone will likely find an internet pic somewhere).

-

Top Bottom