• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Manual Or Power Steering?

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When was the last time anyone here, drove a car with manual steering?
We're spoiled. We want a Big Gulp in one hand, and the ability to drive too.
Personally, I'll agree, the Elio won't need it. But like AC, it would make a good selling point.
Paul should make it an option.
Now, power brakes, would just be over kill.
BTW, my last vehicle with manual steering was a 1974 Chevy C20 Pickup.
Yea, a 3/4 ton, 2wd, pickup.
292 6cyl, 4spd with a creeper first gear, 16.5in\8lug rims, 8ply tires.... bias ply no less...
Manual steering.
Now that was a bear to park.

Not that long ago. I winterized it in November.
It's a 1969 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 cargo truck set up as a Type 4 Forestry Engine carrying 800 gal of water.
Definitely gives you a workout.

Trucking Cody

Elio Fan
Reaction score
im a little concerned about the no power steering. Older rear wheel drive cars have not had power steering, but I don't know of any front wheel drive cares without it. Has anyone actually sat in one and tried turning it from a dead stop? PS is certainly no needed while moving, but might be nice for parelelll parking. It also robs the engion of power you dont need for 95% of the day.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
im a little concerned about the no power steering. Older rear wheel drive cars have not had power steering, but I don't know of any front wheel drive cares without it. Has anyone actually sat in one and tried turning it from a dead stop? PS is certainly no needed while moving, but might be nice for parelelll parking. It also robs the engion of power you dont need for 95% of the day.
We've been "kicking it around- a group feels the light weight of the E will not present any major difficulties, others are wants and or needs. I do think it will be offered as an option.
BTW welcome from THE Sunshine State- the board's slowing down a bit, but there is much to be gleaned from past threads.
VERY MANY friendly talented folks ready to share their information and knowledge. Friday's are EM's blog post, if you haven't been to their website, sign up for emails, some of which are supposed to be for 1k all ins- like yourself- Congratulations, and welcome.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Welcome to the board.
On the issue of front wheel drive with no PS.
Strangely enough my first front wheel drive car was an '85 Cavalier which I purchased new with no power steering.
Nice little car. Handled well in snow.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

one of the good things about having a higher reservation number is by the time the order has to be placed there will be volumes of real world use reports coming in from folks with lower reservation numbers .... without the ability to test drive, having such reports can be valuable in making a decision as to option selection .... my first vehicle was a '65 Jeep CJ5 .... drove it a over a hundred thousand miles before I knew power steering existed .... I don't buy the argument that features aren't needed if they aren't used very much .... I don't use reverse a great deal but wouldn't want a vehicle without it .... same is true for 4-wheel drive .... what features a person wants is their business, not any of my business

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I've driven quite a few FWD cars without PS.
skinny tires, no problem.
It's all about design.

Top Bottom