• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Limited Slip/abs

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yaris, yesis, of corsis! That's where I went wrongis (and drove autocorrect crazy!) Love this forum where you guys (gender non-specific, of course) can steer me back. Is the AMT unique to Elio tho based on the manual of the Yaris?
Speaking of which (if only loosely), does anyone know or can speculate how one does a dual-diagonal hydraulic brake system in a three wheel Elio? Asked Jerome. Didn't know.

I could be wrong, but I think the Suzuki sold in India uses the MC5 and this is one of their demo videos.
--->
<---
If I'm wrong, please correct me.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
DeltaMike --- Interesting question on how diagonal braking would work on a 3 wheeler. My answer is purely speculation because this is the way I'd do it. I'd use a dual piston caliper on the rear brake with 1 piston controlled by the left front brake the other piston controlled by the right. You'd have the safety and redundancy you're looking for and do it with very little expense. Honda GL1800 Goldwings use a similar system in their ABS.

DeltaMike

Elio Addict
Reaction score
DeltaMike --- Interesting question on how diagonal braking would work on a 3 wheeler. My answer is purely speculation because this is the way I'd do it. I'd use a dual piston caliper on the rear brake with 1 piston controlled by the left front brake the other piston controlled by the right. You'd have the safety and redundancy you're looking for and do it with very little expense. Honda GL1800 Goldwings use a similar system in their ABS.
Ohhhh! I was thinking something like that might work but no practical experience to base it on. In redundant aero braking systems, there is a shuttle valve for permitting hydraulics of the secondary system to power a single piston when the primary hydraulics fail but it is an imperfect approach. One would still experience some directional asymmetry in event of a system failure unlike a four wheel system but yours seems an elegant solution. I hope the Elio is as elegant. Thanx, skygazer!

DeltaMike

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think the Suzuki sold in India uses the MC5 and this is one of their demo videos.
--->
<---
If I'm wrong, please correct me.
Great video for familiarization, William. Thanx! Any experience in how smoothly it shifts? I read somewhere it might be a bit clunky/jerky...like manually downshifting shifting an automatic.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
DeltaMike --- Single clutch AMTs are notorious for being clunky. Conventional hydromechanical automatic transmissions get part of their smoothness from the fact they can be in 2 gears at once so the transition from one gear to the next is seemless. Dual clutch AMTs do the same by having even gears on one clutch odd on the other. Single clutch AMTs just kind of bang between gears. I've heard that once you get use to where it shifts (or shift it yourself) and momentarily let up on the throttle as it shifts you can make it much smoother.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I fully agree slinches. Being a shifty character myself i prefer to row my own. However since a lot of Elios will be used for commuting to work or school and in stop & go bumper go bumper traffic i can understand the appeal of an automatic transmission in any form. In heavy stop & go the clutch gets old pretty quickly no matter how lite the pedal is. Then there's the kids who've never seen a clutch pedal and have no ldea what to do with it.

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I fully agree slinches. Being a shifty character myself i prefer to row my own. However since a lot of Elios will be used for commuting to work or school and in stop & go bumper go bumper traffic i can understand the appeal of an automatic transmission in any form. In heavy stop & go the clutch gets old pretty quickly no matter how lite the pedal is. Then there's the kids who've never seen a clutch pedal and have no ldea what to do with it.

As others have pointed out, rowing your own is also a theft deterrent system. Kids today are not as aware of what that stupid 3rd pedal is for!

Top Bottom