• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Ld 687 An Act To Expand Classification Categories For Motor Vehicles In The State

FBSleeper

Reaction score
John:

A few things:

First, thanks for the work that you've done here. It's incredible how much can be done in Maine in response to citizen action. Having a State with a relativity small population makes it much easier to get things done here than in many other States. Additionally, whether I agree with their positions or not, I've found our legislators to be very responsive to the needs of their constituents.

Second, you have found a good sponsor. I've spoken to Representative Golden on a few occasions, and found him to be bight and willing to help out. His status as a member of the Transportation Committee doesn't hurt either.

Third, I also think that the Committee did the right thing in carrying the bill over to the next legislative session. We can only hope that by then federal legislation will be in place on this topic so that there will be no inconsistencies between that and what may pass here. Also, Elio's financial status may have been further clarified by then, making the need for the legislation even more obvious. Having it carried over means that it remains on the legislative agenda.

Fourth, before the hearings in the next session, it would be good to have Rep. Golden submit an amendment which includes the final proposed wording rather than merely a concept draft.

Fifth, I don't know if you've done any work with the other members of the Committee, but, if not, you need to communicate with them about the bill as well, particularly with the House and Senate chairs of the committee. The chairs are both easy to talk to and very responsive.

Sixth, I had not been paying attention, so I didn't know about the submission of this bill or the public hearing. I did happen to be in the hearing room for another bill when this one came up at the work session held on 4/9/15. Attendance at a work session is just as important as attendance at the public hearing on a bill. At a work session, members of the public do not testify unless they are asked to respond to a question from the Committee members. If such a question is posed, it is important for supporters to be present to respond. Here, the Committee had some questions and the only people there to respond appeared to be someone from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles and a State trooper. Neither of them was really negative about the bill, but they didn't know much about it or about the Elio vehicle. This didn't make much difference this time, but it may during the next session when a new public hearing and work session will be held. I don't now how closely you are coordinating this with Elio, but it would be very beneficial if someone from the company showed up for both the public hearing and the work session the next time around, both to show the Committee how important this is for the company, as well as to provide information.

Seventh, it might be worthwhile to get some co-sponsors for the bill, particularly Committee members. You would need to work with Rep. Golden on this.

Finally, you need to make sure that the bill is explained to the representatives of the BMV and the State Police who will be showing up for the hearing and work session. Their opinions mean a lot to the Committee on issues which may involve safety, as well as administrative burdens.

If you want some more unsolicited advice involving additional work for you, I'm an attorney in the Portland phone book.

Bruce Sleeper

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
John:

A few things:

First, thanks for the work that you've done here. It's incredible how much can be done in Maine in response to citizen action. Having a State with a relativity small population makes it much easier to get things done here than in many other States. Additionally, whether I agree with their positions or not, I've found our legislators to be very responsive to the needs of their constituents.

Second, you have found a good sponsor. I've spoken to Representative Golden on a few occasions, and found him to be bight and willing to help out. His status as a member of the Transportation Committee doesn't hurt either.

Third, I also think that the Committee did the right thing in carrying the bill over to the next legislative session. We can only hope that by then federal legislation will be in place on this topic so that there will be no inconsistencies between that and what may pass here. Also, Elio's financial status may have been further clarified by then, making the need for the legislation even more obvious. Having it carried over means that it remains on the legislative agenda.

Fourth, before the hearings in the next session, it would be good to have Rep. Golden submit an amendment which includes the final proposed wording rather than merely a concept draft.

Fifth, I don't know if you've done any work with the other members of the Committee, but, if not, you need to communicate with them about the bill as well, particularly with the House and Senate chairs of the committee. The chairs are both easy to talk to and very responsive.

Sixth, I had not been paying attention, so I didn't know about the submission of this bill or the public hearing. I did happen to be in the hearing room for another bill when this one came up at the work session held on 4/9/15. Attendance at a work session is just as important as attendance at the public hearing on a bill. At a work session, members of the public do not testify unless they are asked to respond to a question from the Committee members. If such a question is posed, it is important for supporters to be present to respond. Here, the Committee had some questions and the only people there to respond appeared to be someone from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles and a State trooper. Neither of them was really negative about the bill, but they didn't know much about it or about the Elio vehicle. This didn't make much difference this time, but it may during the next session when a new public hearing and work session will be held. I don't now how closely you are coordinating this with Elio, but it would be very beneficial if someone from the company showed up for both the public hearing and the work session the next time around, both to show the Committee how important this is for the company, as well as to provide information.

Seventh, it might be worthwhile to get some co-sponsors for the bill, particularly Committee members. You would need to work with Rep. Golden on this.

Finally, you need to make sure that the bill is explained to the representatives of the BMV and the State Police who will be showing up for the hearing and work session. Their opinions mean a lot to the Committee on issues which may involve safety, as well as administrative burdens.

If you want some more unsolicited advice involving additional work for you, I'm an attorney in the Portland phone book.

Bruce Sleeper
Thank you Bruce. One can never know too many attorneys and judges... in a good way of course.:)

While I was able to be at the hearing, I was not able to attend the work session (though ironically I work just down the street) generally I would have been there. I do think the Committee was genuinely impressed with the Elio concept, and none as far as I could tell had heard of one before then, many were somewhat confused as to what the Elio actually is. One Committee member asked me a couple times why I thought it was unsafe for a child to wear a helmet in an Elio, since, after all it is a motorcycle. So I agree there is clearly more educational work to be done with the Committee as well as state police and BMV, though noticeably at the hearing no one spoke against it and both agencies were represented there that morning.

I had received some suggestions from Joel Sheltrown, however I understand Maine just isn't a big enough market and he had a more pressing Legislative meeting in on of the Virginias that day. I did actually provide language for a bill to Jared Golden, actually two options. One with modifying current statute to exempt autocycles from motorcycle rules that do not pertain, and one version adding an entirely new class of vehicle autocycle as it's own category. Interestingly in the hearing before this one, the Vitter bill was referenced, so when I mentioned that there was a comparable bill in the US Senate there was noticeably more leaning into the conversation that morning.

To the best of my knowledge Eric Bellavance at BMV is supportive (at least in our conversations) and had confided that he was interested in purchasing an Elio since he is commuting around 40 miles to and from work daily.

I agree the next few months will be good for building awareness, and hopefully, being able to reference positive funding/production news from Elio Motors.

Thanks for being in touch.
John

Top Bottom