• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Ld 687 An Act To Expand Classification Categories For Motor Vehicles In The State

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This Friday March 27 at 9am is the public hearing on LD 687, so I thought I would share the draft of my written testimony and any suggestions would be appreciated.

March 27, 2015

Dear Senators Collins, Diamond and Rosen, and Representatives McLean, Bryant, Farrin, Gillway, Golden, Hobart, Hogan, Parry, Powers and Verow,

My name is John L. Painter, I live in Lewiston Maine.

I am here today to testify in support of LD 687 and to strongly recommend the state of Maine either create the category of “autocycle” in statute, or amend current rules for motorcycle to exempt autocycles from two requirements which pose immediate risk of harm to the public.

I would like to acknowledge that the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators (AAMVA) has developed a “Best Practices Guidelines for Three Wheel Vehicles” so it is clear to the Committee what I mean when I say “autocycle” I offer the following stronger clarification:

Autocycle means a three wheeled motorcycle on which the drivers and passengers ride in a completely enclosed seating area that is equipped with airbag protection, a roll cage, 3 point safety restraints for each occupant and antilock brakes and that is designed to be controlled with a steering wheel and pedals.

The reason I am supporting this bill is because my family will greatly benefit from the use of safe, affordable, fuel efficient, four season vehicles such as an autocycle. I also want to point out I hold both a Class C drivers license and motorcycle endorsement in Maine and have operated both class of vehicles for many years.

I am an early adopter of the Elio, to be produced by Elio Motors in early 2016, so my testimony will primarily use it as an example, though several other manufacturers already have similar vehicles on the market, such as Campagna, and Tanom Motors, while others are in development.

The Elio is a three wheel vehicle, thus federally classified as a motorcycle (Title 49 §571.3), and is considered a motorcycle in Maine (see e-mail from Eric Bellavance Senior Section Manager at Drivers License Control), however it resembles a car (albeit very narrow) has the same controls as a car, handles like a car, and has the same safety features as a car.

This is where my primary concerns lay, and what I hope legislation will address; 1) because the Elio is classified as a motorcycle in Maine statute, my son or any child passenger must wear a helmet when riding in it. However the use of seatbelts along with a helmet are dangerous if not potentially deadly due to the extra 2 – 3 pounds of weight on a child’s head during rapid deceleration stopped short by the action of the seatbelt. 2) because Maine allows adults 18 years or older to get a motorcycle license without having a Class C license, any person who follows that path to driving in Maine does not have adequate instruction, or practice operating an autocycle and would pose an immediate risk of harm to self or others, for example; leaning in to a curve or riding two abreast are not useful skills in an autocycle, and are potentially dangerous or deadly when executed in an autocycle.

I would also like to draw your attention to a bill recently introduced to Congress by Senator Vitter from Louisiana, Senate bill S.685 titled the “Autocycle Safety Act”, which aims to introduce comparable standards into the federal code.

While I will not go into further detail due to time constraints, I have attached to my written testimony further data on autocycles and comparable state laws.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter of opportunity and safety for Maine citizens.

Signed,
John L. Painter

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
John, keep up the good fight. We are all pioneers on this journey. Blazing our own trail into the government wilderness. I appreciate your effort and all of those who have taken similar paths with our local legislature.
Maine had a previous autocycle statute which had a sunset clause in it (because one farmer was experimenting using a ZAP truck) and evidently didn't want to continue with it so the statute expired..... so that is what Maine DMV is picturing as an "autocycle". LOL.:p

ZAP_XEBRA1.jpg

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The hearing this morning in Maine went well. I spoke for LD 687, no one spoke against it, one person (from Maine Motorcycle Association) spoke neither for or against - MMA's concer was that amending the motorcycle rule waters down the definition of motorcycle and he strongly recommended an autocycle category. The Hearings have just wrapped up, and moving into work session.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
LD687 is being carried over until the second half of the current Maine Legislature which is this winter, they are waiting to see what happens with Elio and production before enacting legislation. If Elio Motors gets moving, the Maine Legislature will too. A very pragmatic approach.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
LD687 is being carried over until the second half of the current Maine Legislature which is this winter, they are waiting to see what happens with Elio and production before enacting legislation. If Elio Motors gets moving, the Maine Legislature will too. A very pragmatic approach.

makes sense to me

Top Bottom