• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Latest Email From Paul Elio---- Nice Gesture Or Calming The Lynch Party???? Added Bonus

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
April 24th, 2014, since I parted with the $1,000.00. So that puts me in the 70% group as well. $1,700.00 credit on $6,800.00 leaves me scraping up $5,100.00 to make the base car. I'm leaning heavily toward a moon roof. So more scraping I shall do even.

Hey, wasn't there a big brouhaha over Tesla and being able to bypass the dealership and order a car direct from the factory? So I'm wondering if whatever that was applies here.
It varies state-by-state. In Ohio, new laws were passed about a year ago allowing Tesla in and specifically prohibiting all other sales of motor vehicles by company-owned dealerships or outlets. This is a pain in the butt for us Ohio residents, and maybe Elio can get it changed -- but not with Kasich as governor and both houses controlled by the Republicans. Not gonna happen. so Ohio folks will have to buy their cars in Kentucky or Michigan or straight from the factory.

EastCoastCentralFla

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I was thinking, that the game would be greatly tilted toward success if there actually were Elio's out and about running up and down the streets and roads of good old US of A. So possibly this could be one facet why the extra bonus, and also a token toward keeping the core owners group engaged and onboard for the eventual reveal. Last rumblings I heard about production were still about 12 month away.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
John, it can BOTH be about solidifying the Elio base, keeping us on board, AND about money. How this helps Elio make money, I don't know, but like you, I'm pretty certain that it's about money FIRST and anything else second.

I can see it raising some serious money if they would give the folks covered by the increased credits a set amount of time to upgrade and extend the larger credit to that upgrade

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They say, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth", and I'm trying hard not to.
but
I all ways say when I see something on sale, "What the big print gives, the small print takes away"

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Without engineering finalized, a completed P5 prototype build, and the additional 25 prototype builds for testing, 2016 isn't realistic, if that's what you mean by delay. The good news is the P5 Build, but how long to the P5 unveil is the big question.

Rick, in a The Truth About Cars recent article, it says Paul says "in a few months" for the introduction of the P5. We'll see...

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I wouldn't bet the bank on it. It's all positive, but here's a new slant that might provide one explanation.
I think this is in anticipation of possibly not being able to meet the $6800 goal at the start of production.
I think it may insure that, whether the price goal is met or not, we early "all-ins" are rewarded...
By being allowed to pay a bottom line that is as close to that original advertised goal as possible.
Basically a "promise" met by interpretation.

Almost all of us have said or thought it.
Even EM has said that they're still short of reaching their price goal.
The Elio's official price may likely be a few hundred above the target at the start of production.
I, for one, still anticipate paying around a $6300 bottom line base price after my bonuses.

Think about it.
We "all-ins" have our bonus. No, scratch that now... most of us have our bonuses.
It will only feel completely equitable to newbies if everyone pays the same basic price.
If EM honors the $6800 target price but, in doing so, loses money on not only the early opters...
But also on the untold thousands who rush to buy during the completion of the early opters' sales...
It may prove to be a bit of a problem.

It may just a play on words in a sense.
But it's extremely important that public perception, us, and the newbies consider it all to be as fair and honorable as possible.
Of course, I hope you're right and they actually do achieve the price goal. :D

Lately I get the feeling that Paul might have taken our advice and engaged the services of a PR firm.

However...
Be it a simple play on numbers or not...
I am extremely grateful for, once again, being considerately pre-thinned from the future thundering herd.

Yeah, I think you are saying what I was wondering... this is a way for a $6800 vehicle to be sold at $7500 and the roughly 13k all-in $1k reservationists will be closer to that base price of $6800 with a "bonus on the bonus". It's understandable that the base price might come in at say $7500, since inflation moves that price up as the months go by.

For me, my $500 bonus just went to $650, so now if the vehicle is sold at base price of $7500, I'm happy. Just my two cents.

I do appreciate them giving the bonus on the bonus. I think we all agree, they didn't have to do it. Many of us are wondering how it will translate into money, as some of us are certain that it must be about money. Maybe it wasn't about money, who knows. It's certainly good PR.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It varies state-by-state. In Ohio, new laws were passed about a year ago allowing Tesla in and specifically prohibiting all other sales of motor vehicles by company-owned dealerships or outlets. This is a pain in the butt for us Ohio residents, and maybe Elio can get it changed -- but not with Kasich as governor and both houses controlled by the Republicans. Not gonna happen. so Ohio folks will have to buy their cars in Kentucky or Michigan or straight from the factory.
Both houses controlled by the Republicans, oh no!, perhaps that's the same reason we haven't seen the ATVM Loan approval move forward on the Federal level along with NADA's political influence.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm only talking about Ohio, where I live -- and have tracked this issue with some interest. There was quite the hassle over this last spring, and the Tesla-in-all-others-out was the compromise. Had the control of the state legislature been all Dems, or even split, it might have gone more open to dealer-direct sales, but it didn't.

And, once again, Ohio law includes three wheel vehicles as "motor vehicles" (2-wheelers, too) -- everything but snow machines and lawn mowers. So there's no wiggle room for "auto cycles." We're just screwed.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
John, it can BOTH be about solidifying the Elio base, keeping us on board, AND about money. How this helps Elio make money, I don't know, but like you, I'm pretty certain that it's about money FIRST and anything else second.
Yeah, when I was reading over the DOE update on ATVM I was thinking hmmmm what sorts of things could EM do to nail the proof of concept to them, and with that maybe pull in more money? Money, especially big money has it's own gravitational field. You know what I mean? Big money has a way of pulling in more big money.

Something's going on, just wish I could figure out what, but if PE has learned (and his recent comments suggest he has) he's keeping his mouth shut until he has something in hand and its burned a mark in his flesh before he makes it public.;)

Top Bottom