• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Just For The Cat Lovers Here

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey, the easiest thing is making your own cat scratch pad. (busy hands in front of the TV at night) I cut lots of junk cardboard into 2in wide strips, Elmers-glue it all together in about 36 long runs. So the 'planks' I have are 10in wide by 36in long by 2in thick. Cardboard edges facing the cat. I recommend going to 3in wide strips, they would last a lot longer.

On the corner of the couch, I put two at 90degrees and glued to a square base with a hole in it. The hole lines up with the couch leg, so it goes nowhere.
Single planks just get leaned up against the wall or along the floor.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You know, you don't always get a choice with declawing. We've gotten three cats from shelters that have all been declawed before we got them.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
You know, you don't always get a choice with declawing. We've gotten three cats from shelters that have all been declawed before we got them.
Very true; it does happen. And you're right, you don't have a say in their care or raising before you adopt.
I know they can still defend themselves; just not as well. I dated a girl that had a declawed cat that was one of the best bird catchers I'd ever met.
He had no problem getting and holding them.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, the easiest thing is making your own cat scratch pad. (busy hands in front of the TV at night) I cut lots of junk cardboard into 2in wide strips, Elmers-glue it all together in about 36 long runs. So the 'planks' I have are 10in wide by 36in long by 2in thick. Cardboard edges facing the cat. I recommend going to 3in wide strips, they would last a lot longer.

On the corner of the couch, I put two at 90degrees and glued to a square base with a hole in it. The hole lines up with the couch leg, so it goes nowhere.
Single planks just get leaned up against the wall or along the floor.
I use cardboard tubes and sisal rope; I spray glue on the tube and use narrow crown staples at the beginning and end (and a few in-between).
Found that I have to use a thick rope if I don't want to take weeks to do it 3/8" or 1/2" works the best.
Only drawback is, you end up with really "fuzzy" fingers after (spray glue and sisal threads). And don't scratch your nose.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I use cardboard tubes and sisal rope; I spray glue on the tube and use narrow crown staples at the beginning and end (and a few in-between).
Found that I have to use a thick rope if I don't want to take weeks to do it 3/8" or 1/2" works the best.
Only drawback is, you end up with really "fuzzy" fingers after (spray glue and sisal threads). And don't scratch your nose.
I'll have to try that sometime. Except I'll likely use the Elmers as a non-toxic alternative. Have allergies in the house. I'll likely saturate the tube for each row, plus some extra on each row after each wrap. Then nothing will move.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll have to try that sometime. Except I'll likely use the Elmers as a non-toxic alternative. Have allergies in the house. I'll likely saturate the tube for each row, plus some extra on each row after each wrap. Then nothing will move.
It does have to be a thick wall cardboard tube, like almost the thickness of a Sonotube; the ones I have are 3" or 4" in diameter; the smallest Sonotubes are 10". I think the ones I used were from material rolls; try a place like JoAnn's to get them. And use natural Sisal, the cats wouldn't touch colored synthetic rope; and it seems to work better if it does "give" a little; but that you should get from the rope its self.
It's a whole lot cheaper than paying big bucks for the store bought scratching posts.
You can also use lumber for the core; like a 4X4 and knock the corners off so it's kind of round.

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Very true; it does happen. And you're right, you don't have a say in their care or raising before you adopt.
I know they can still defend themselves; just not as well. I dated a girl that had a declawed cat that was one of the best bird catchers I'd ever met.
He had no problem getting and holding them.

My experience with declawed cats is that they will bite.!! I have no doubt that they can still catch mice and birds.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Hero saves smallest kitten ever on busy highway
Mashable 4 hours ago
[Broken External Image]Cats may have nine lives, but kittens only have one. On Sept. 12, a tiny kitten ran onto a busy highway in the city of Kalingrad, Russia. For minutes, the kitten stood there frozen, until one good Samaritan stopped his car in the middle of traffic and pulled her to safety.

Top Bottom