• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Is The Cam Drive Belt Or Chain?

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On Nov 11 at 4:35PM I wrote to EM on Facebook
From your Nov 4 Three Wheeling...........
...."The 3 cylinder Elio engine is an inline, liquid-cooled, fuel-injected, interference engine. We are using a timing belt to optimize the engine’s reliability."....
Interference engine????
I though You said sometime ago it would be a non-interference engine?????
Timing belt????
I know you said it would be a timing chain!!
Would you please clarify these issues?

On Nov 11 at 4:41PM Elio Responded...........
Hello William, this representative doesn't recall a time when the engine design wasn't an interference engine.
As for the change from a timing chain to a timing belt, advancements in belt technologies in recent years has made using a belt a more practical option as it's the preferred choice for engine makers these days as they're lighter, quieter, etc.

Fredio

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Ugh, the mystery deepens! I emailed Elio Motors about this on 11/4 and received the below reply on the next business day. I started a thread about this at the same time, but somehow it was merged with one about turbocharging. :confused::confused::confused:

"Hello Frederick,
Yes, that is a mistake! The Elio will be using a timing chain instead of a belt.

Thanks,
Elio Team"

There is no excuse for a timing belt, especially on an interference engine. The Elio Motors representative is full of it! A timing belt is hardly the "preferred choice for engine makers these days". That experiment was a dismal failure in the '90s, which is why they are rarely used today. I am All-In and Committed, but will bail on Elio Motors if in fact they have changed to a timing belt!

Last edited:

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Indeed, that response is very odd. Sounds like someone is just pulling answers out of their butt. Did they also mention that the preferred choice of gas cap locations is on the door side and the only color will be yellow?

Regarding a non-interference design, AFAIK the Elio IAV motor was always an interference design. An interference design allows for higher compression, cleaner burning and better performance/flow characteristics from the design in such a small package.

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Are any modern engines non-interference? I have never owned a car or truck with a non-interference engine. I have also never owned a car older than 1979, so that may have something g to do with it.

As far as timing belts being a failed experiment.... I will say that I prefer a chain, but MANY modern cars still have belts. Just did a TB job on a modern (and VERY interference) Volkswagen Diesel engine. That job is certainly not a "mark and pray" method. There are both cam and crank lockdown tools, and being off by one tooth of the belt will grenade the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

airforceguy6

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Easy answer most likely...timing chains have more resistant on them, directly affecting MPG. My guess is that the design team originally wanted a timing chain (for better long time reliability), but sacrificed that design to go with a timing belt...all to squeeze out a little more MPG in hopes to reach that 84.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really did not know the pro's and cons. This cleared it up a little for me. Thank You Elio Owner grease monkeys.
https://www.1aauto.com/content/articles/timing-belts-chains

Strangely enough I bought a Pontiac Tempest Custom Sprint in 1967.
( That was the version with the ram manifold and Rochester Quadrajet.)
Got it with a four speed.
It had an appetite for eating 289 Mustangs.
Got rid of it because the dealer didn't understand that the castle nut in the A arms needed a cotter pin.
Figured if they didn't know that much I didn't need to trust my life to them.

2barrel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For 100 points. What is the correct answer? Will the .9L Elio interference engine have a timing belt or a timing chain ? Having had to rebuild/replace many a customer's engine who did not heed the manufacturer or my recommendation I hope it has a chain. Never had one break.
With all due respect , even if my Elio came with waddled up pantyhose as a timing belt I would still welcome the delivery . :D
Strangely enough I bought a Pontiac Tempest Custom Sprint in 1967.
( That was the version with the ram manifold and Rochester Quadrajet.)
Got it with a four speed.
It had an appetite for eating 289 Mustangs.
Got rid of it because the dealer didn't understand that the castle nut in the A arms needed a cotter pin.
Figured if they didn't know that much I didn't need to trust my life to them.
Those are the same guys who reuse one time fasteners.
However, I agree with Hotscoots just start making them PLEEEASE.

Top Bottom