• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Invitation Only Event La Area

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
When you run slower, you add in some costs... If there are (nominally speaking here) 240 work stations and each working at top speed took 1 minute, your car would take 4 man-hours each to assemble. If you ran at half speed, you would take 8 man-hours. Now, if the average line worker made $20/hr., you'd raise the vehicle price by $80. Not ideal but not bank breaking either. If Elio is counting on volume discounts from suppliers, they would have to maintain a certain output to contain costs. I don't think Elio is off base in their projections for production. They should be able to hit the numbers like they have said. Every year when GM would reset the factory for the new models, it was only a couple weeks of shutdown for that so I don't see any problem with Elio thinking they'll be ready for production by next year. They'll start hiring people to actually work on the factory floor a bit before production is set to start and then they'll get to moving. The line workers won't need more than a day or two to learn their jobs and the only reason it'll take that long is that they'll be starting the line meaning people at the end of the line will be performing their tasks for the first time while people at the start of the line will be performing their 200th time. The hard part, to me, will be the behind the scenes stuff. They'll have to get the right parts delivered at the right time and placed in the right spots. They'll have to have an order system in place so when they call me, they get the right color and transmission put in (Actually, now that I think about it, that won't be hard at all). The marshaling center there at Shreveport will have to be staffed extra heavy at first as they'll probably have to accessorize every single car that comes off the line for a while till the other marshaling centers are up and running. Elio could have those 8 sites up and ready at the same time. They'd have to train some people how to run them first though... Hmm... I'm about to retire from the Air Force in a couple of months...
On the marshaling centers, they have never said if they are going to be owned outright or franchised have they? It very well may be they want the people that are running them to have a steak in what they are selling. This way they are more prone to want to see it succeed.
Another possibility is a shared ownership in them, EM owns 70% the owner of the marshaling center owns 30%. As for obtaining the location, they would be better off leasing than owning (depending on where it is).

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On the marshaling centers, they have never said if they are going to be owned outright or franchised have they? It very well may be they want the people that are running them to have a steak in what they are selling. This way they are more prone to want to see it succeed.
Another possibility is a shared ownership in them, EM owns 70% the owner of the marshaling center owns 30%. As for obtaining the location, they would be better off leasing than owning (depending on where it is).
I'm betting they are Elio owned. When it comes right down to it, they are basically part of the assembly line.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't understand how they can start at 70% capacity. I hope thats true as mine will be built on day 7 and by the end of week 2 there will be 7000 built.
I think its more reasonable to GUESS that the first month will be much slower & slowly ramp up. Thanks for the info Mr Pistonboy
I am doing a poor job of expressing myself. They will start out trying to make the assembly line operate at 70% of its planned maximum speed, and try to increase it to its maximum (100%) speed. To do this, they will be stopping the line at times to make changes. During this 90 day period, they will only produce 19,000 vehicles.

At the end of the 90 day period, they expect both shifts to be operating at 100% speed, nonstop. That is, no interruptions in the line. This will product the 1000 vehicles per day.

Top Bottom