• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Infinite Skyz Skyzmatic System

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
To make it just a little easier for a lot of these questions to be answered; here's the link to the Infinite Skyz Skyzmatic System

I seem to recall hearing that "Skyzmatic" will be a couple thousand dollar option? In a $7,000 car?
I don't use touch screens because of a neurological condition so why would I want to be poking at a touch screen while driving down the road. Seems like it would be a distraction. Like texting while driving.
I believe that someone needs to re think this.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I seem to recall hearing that "Skyzmatic" will be a couple thousand dollar option? In a $7,000 car?
I don't use touch screens because of a neurological condition so why would I want to be poking at a touch screen while driving down the road. Seems like it would be a distraction. Like texting while driving.
I believe that's why they made it an option rather than standard equipment; purchase it only if it's something you want.
By all means if you have (or want) a different GPS system you can add that on your own.
This is why we have the stereo shops, no one manufacturer can make "the one model suits all".
And if Elio tried to offer every single option they would have a nightmare on their hands; they chose one that they feel fits the vehicle and it does what they intended it to do.
Plus I don't know if Elio went looking for them, or if they approached Elio with the offering. When doing a search on them, they're not really in the retail field, seems that they currently just do a lot of fleet systems.

UncleJohn

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys, some good and some a bit negative. I have done quite a bit of reading/research before asking the questions and did not find answers, that is why I posted. I am excited and want to know more, sorry for asking questions that some of you think has already been answered. Links are VERY helpful, but I have already read those and yet the questions remain. I also know that this is still EARLY in development, so things are still fluid. Please humor me and answer the questions if you can or point me to the links.

I just saw the new photos of the SMC Panels and it clearly shows a single DIN for the radio. The question about a 2DIN is still in the hands of the design team. Given the P5 dash picture fitting a 2DIN looks like it would require a redesign, I think that the odds of a 2DIN for the first model is unlikely. There are "all-in-one" units with a pop-up display that can still fit in this space and automatically disappear so as not to tempt bad guys from breaking my window.
$_57.JPG

Clearance might be an issue and I really liked the Continental phone clamp.
imG_visual_autolinqmobile_460x280-onlineData.jpg

The value proposition of Skyz coming in at a 1/3 of the vehicle cost(~$2,000) is concerning. I do find that after market products tend not to be as good as the manufacturer provided (ie. a "made in China" knock-off GPS/XM/Radio/SD/Backup Camera/etc...just try to get an update or even a manual that is more than a couple of pages long that actually explains something!). With that said, I am back at the value proposition: $2,000+ vs <$500 and what am I willing to tolerate. I am not ruling out the Skyz system and understand that there will be different $-$$$ offerings, but it had better be really cool/tight for me to jump that high$$$. Yet a fully integrated system (AM/FM/XM/SD/GPS/360 Camera/Backup Camera/G-Force DVR/Security/Remote Start/etc...) linked to my Andriod Phablet would probably have me pounding on the door with $2,000! We used to make fun of the kids who's stereo was worth more than their car! Guess I can't do that any more! The link http://www.infiniteskyz.com/hardware/elio_app.html specifically identifies iPad or iPhone, not Android. Coss, thank you for the link and chiming in with your recollection of Windows/Android/iOS support, a clarification from Skyz would be really nice.

Thanks to EKH for chiming in on the "infotainment controls". Anyone got any pictures? Since the steering wheel is from another vehicle this should be identifiable. We already know that Elio will brand it appropriately like they did in the P4. The other option would be a controller like BMW
offers:
upload_2015-8-27_14-9-59.jpeg

That way the steering wheel can be left alone. That SHOULD then tie into the Instrument cluster. Is Skyz/etc... looking at anything like this? Having the tablet so close with a touch screen might seem like a good idea, but that requires you looking at it to make changes. Anyone with a touch screen TV remote control will immediately understand. With a dedicated physical interface you can feel for the correct button without having to look.

I seem to recall that Continental is doing the wiring harnesses/etc... and Skyz has come up with the cool tablet integration. I am trying to get clarification as to who is providing what services. If some of the sensors (GPS, Camera(s), microphone, etc) are through the wiring harness (Continental), then aftermarket becomes an easier option. If these features are proprietary to Infinite Skyz, then that limits aftermarket. If these features are part of the CAN then I am going to need new interfaces and thus I am back to the Skyz system or probably pulling my own wires. If I go with the Skyz system, then I am going to need a place to lock up the tablet (really don't want to do that).

There was also mention of Tilt/Telescope option for the steering wheel. I presume that is going to be an option.

Last thing, slightly off topic: Arm rests? All of my cars have a right side arm rest over the emergency brake handle.

Thanks.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys, some good and some a bit negative. I have done quite a bit of reading/research before asking the questions and did not find answers, that is why I posted. I am excited and want to know more, sorry for asking questions that some of you think has already been answered. Links are VERY helpful, but I have already read those and yet the questions remain. I also know that this is still EARLY in development, so things are still fluid. Please humor me and answer the questions if you can or point me to the links.

I just saw the new photos of the SMC Panels and it clearly shows a single DIN for the radio. The question about a 2DIN is still in the hands of the design team. Given the P5 dash picture fitting a 2DIN looks like it would require a redesign, I think that the odds of a 2DIN for the first model is unlikely. There are "all-in-one" units with a pop-up display that can still fit in this space and automatically disappear so as not to tempt bad guys from breaking my window.
$_57.JPG

Clearance might be an issue and I really liked the Continental phone clamp.
imG_visual_autolinqmobile_460x280-onlineData.jpg

The value proposition of Skyz coming in at a 1/3 of the vehicle cost(~$2,000) is concerning. I do find that after market products tend not to be as good as the manufacturer provided (ie. a "made in China" knock-off GPS/XM/Radio/SD/Backup Camera/etc...just try to get an update or even a manual that is more than a couple of pages long that actually explains something!). With that said, I am back at the value proposition: $2,000+ vs <$500 and what am I willing to tolerate. I am not ruling out the Skyz system and understand that there will be different $-$$$ offerings, but it had better be really cool/tight for me to jump that high$$$. Yet a fully integrated system (AM/FM/XM/SD/GPS/360 Camera/Backup Camera/G-Force DVR/Security/Remote Start/etc...) linked to my Andriod Phablet would probably have me pounding on the door with $2,000! We used to make fun of the kids who's stereo was worth more than their car! Guess I can't do that any more! The link http://www.infiniteskyz.com/hardware/elio_app.html specifically identifies iPad or iPhone, not Android. Coss, thank you for the link and chiming in with your recollection of Windows/Android/iOS support, a clarification from Skyz would be really nice.

Thanks to EKH for chiming in on the "infotainment controls". Anyone got any pictures? Since the steering wheel is from another vehicle this should be identifiable. We already know that Elio will brand it appropriately like they did in the P4. The other option would be a controller like BMW
offers:
View attachment 6726
That way the steering wheel can be left alone. That SHOULD then tie into the Instrument cluster. Is Skyz/etc... looking at anything like this? Having the tablet so close with a touch screen might seem like a good idea, but that requires you looking at it to make changes. Anyone with a touch screen TV remote control will immediately understand. With a dedicated physical interface you can feel for the correct button without having to look.

I seem to recall that Continental is doing the wiring harnesses/etc... and Skyz has come up with the cool tablet integration. I am trying to get clarification as to who is providing what services. If some of the sensors (GPS, Camera(s), microphone, etc) are through the wiring harness (Continental), then aftermarket becomes an easier option. If these features are proprietary to Infinite Skyz, then that limits aftermarket. If these features are part of the CAN then I am going to need new interfaces and thus I am back to the Skyz system or probably pulling my own wires. If I go with the Skyz system, then I am going to need a place to lock up the tablet (really don't want to do that).

There was also mention of Tilt/Telescope option for the steering wheel. I presume that is going to be an option.

Last thing, slightly off topic: Arm rests? All of my cars have a right side arm rest over the emergency brake handle.

Thanks.
Tilt for sure, Telescope, maybe that information is from EM.
2 Armrests, YES standard equipment; I checked on this multiple times and it has been confirmed.

Cost of the Skyz has been tossed around by a lot of people on here, but as far as I know there has not been a price even mentioned from EM.
That $2K is simply a guess by someone a long time ago. So don't get too hung up on that.
And as far as the wiring for the Skyz; when I last talked to them nothing about it has been finalized yet, so this is a wait and see item.

And there are a number of different manufacturers that make 1 DIN units that have all the features, including the slide out, tilt up screens.
I've sat in the Elio and I don't see where a 1.5 or a 2 DIN would be possible.

UncleJohn

Elio Fan
Reaction score
2 Armrests, YES standard equipment; I checked on this multiple times and it has been confirmed.

Cost of the Skyz has been tossed around by a lot of people on here, but as far as I know there has not been a price even mentioned from EM.
That $2K is simply a guess by someone a long time ago. So don't get too hung up on that.
And as far as the wiring for the Skyz; when I last talked to them nothing about it has been finalized yet, so this is a wait and see item.

And there are a number of different manufacturers that make 1 DIN units that have all the features, including the slide out, tilt up screens.
Your awesome Coss. I really appreciate the good (as far as we know as of now) info. Can't wait for the rolling E1 chassis pictures.

UncleJohn

Elio Fan
Reaction score

One thing that everyone should be made aware of: On the after market radios, just because it looks like your phone's OS does not mean that it works with the Apps or has the same capabilities! Even if it is running your "same" OS. GPS updates, OS updates, configuring the screen, or something as simple as adjusting the screen brightness. I have a 2DIN aftermarket in my current car that blinds me at night. It looks cool, but... These are the things that are worked out by the manufacturers (Elio/Skyz/etc..) that are ignored by the knock-offs. Support (if it even exists) is probably limited to a box swap. It is worth it to upgrade (in my opinion) to a full Android OS so that you can actually run your head unit with apps downloaded from google/play (same thing with iOS). Then have that tether to your phone to share your data plan. Look closely at the integration capabilities, things like phone book, voice commands, etc... that you would expect to be there might not be. This is why I really am excited about the Skyz integration and not wasting my time reinventing the wheel patching different things together hoping it all just works together. That is worth some $$$ to me, so long as it is running on an Android. Upgrade time: Try to upgrade your Ford SYNC compared to upgrading your phone and download the Skyz app. Paul is absolutely right about the refresh rate between cars and electronics.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
check out http://www.navdy.com/zpyeEI4b . Navdy plugs into your ODB, provides google map navigation, with a simplified display, telephone linking, and shows any alert you've set your phone to show, all in a heads-up display. I may get one for my current car (my Garmin pisses me off because it's so inept) and move it to the Elio when it arrives. There's a possibility Elio may offer it as an option.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Every single electronic device and control (knob/button/touch) that is not rquired to drive the car should automatically lock when the vehicle is in motion and auto unlock when the vehicle comes to a complete stop.

Also, a breathalyzer regulated ignition system to start the engine.

Top Bottom