• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Infinite Skyz Skyzmatic System

UncleJohn

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Since all pics show it on the right side it'll be easy to grab, just open the passenger door, and away you go

Exactly. I do not want to pay for a broken window because I left a tablet in the autocycle. I use a phablet that runs Android and carry it with me everywhere. I will NOT go back to Apple/iOS. Skyz requirement for Apple is a "deal breaker" for me and another portable device is redundant. I want to use my phablets cellular data capabilities for Waze, WUnderground, Google Maps, etc... I want the Elio to be an accessory to my phone, not another monthly redundant expense. Paul did address the "refresh cycle" issue between automobiles and high tech devices. I like the Continental radio with the clamp to hold my phone to where it is usable. I want the Elio to tether to my phone and act as a front end. Ideally integration with the dashboard, steering wheel controls, backup camera, OBD-II, Microphone/speakers, etc... But that brings up some real questions:

1). Does the Elio communicate Bluetooth, or is this just the head unit(radio)?
2). Is there integration with the CAN (Controller Area Network)?
3). How good is the security on this Bluetooth connection? Could someone drive along side me and cause problems?
4). OBD-II, is this just a port or is it also Bluetooth connected? If not Bluetooth, does Skyz/etc... support OBD-II/Bluetooth dongle?
5). Any suppliers working on a customizable digital dash that integrates?
6). How far does the CAN integration go (ie. mod chips for performance, tuning, etc...)?
7). Steering wheel controls for head unit(phone, volume, etc)?
8). 2DIN radio slot vs. 1DIN, where are we on that?
9). Is there a built-in microphone in the headliner for the phone?
11). Camera integration (360, backup, DVR, G-sensor, anti-theft)?

I recall Paul addressing the # of power taps every few inches and not knowing what they all could possibly be used for, but what about data and access? Just how plugged in can the Elio get? Please say "The Matrix! :)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
there is a great deal of info in this thread about the Skyz system .... as your read through it, many of your questions may be answered .... the good thing about it is, one doesn't have to order the entire package .... there are some things about an Elio where potential customers have considerable flexibility .... there are others where its pretty much take it or leave it .... to meet their $6,800 base price, they have to make decisions .... sometimes those decisions involve some pretty tough choices

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Some of these questions were answered when I was down at the Portland tour stop at the beginning of August.
It's posted in here under the Elio events.
A lot of the dash design has not been finalized yet, so most of your questions are not going to get answered because only the EM Team has those designs in the works.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Exactly. I do not want to pay for a broken window because I left a tablet in the autocycle. I use a phablet that runs Android and carry it with me everywhere. I will NOT go back to Apple/iOS. Skyz requirement for Apple is a "deal breaker" for me and another portable device is redundant. I want to use my phablets cellular data capabilities for Waze, WUnderground, Google Maps, etc... I want the Elio to be an accessory to my phone, not another monthly redundant expense. Paul did address the "refresh cycle" issue between automobiles and high tech devices. I like the Continental radio with the clamp to hold my phone to where it is usable. I want the Elio to tether to my phone and act as a front end. Ideally integration with the dashboard, steering wheel controls, backup camera, OBD-II, Microphone/speakers, etc... But that brings up some real questions:

1). Does the Elio communicate Bluetooth, or is this just the head unit(radio)?
2). Is there integration with the CAN (Controller Area Network)?
3). How good is the security on this Bluetooth connection? Could someone drive along side me and cause problems?
4). OBD-II, is this just a port or is it also Bluetooth connected? If not Bluetooth, does Skyz/etc... support OBD-II/Bluetooth dongle?
5). Any suppliers working on a customizable digital dash that integrates?
6). How far does the CAN integration go (ie. mod chips for performance, tuning, etc...)?
7). Steering wheel controls for head unit(phone, volume, etc)?
8). 2DIN radio slot vs. 1DIN, where are we on that?
9). Is there a built-in microphone in the headliner for the phone?
11). Camera integration (360, backup, DVR, G-sensor, anti-theft)?

I recall Paul addressing the # of power taps every few inches and not knowing what they all could possibly be used for, but what about data and access? Just how plugged in can the Elio get? Please say "The Matrix! :)
The elio will have steering wheel mounted "infotainment" controls.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought all communication between the vehicle and the tablet was wireless and this wireless communication was Bluetooth. Assuming Elio Motors makes this communication protocol public knowledge, I would think any tablet company could write the programs to do the same thing Skyz does including making a system that can be loaded on to Android based tablets. If the Elio becomes very popular (which I believe it will) this would happen very quickly.

Is there a GPS unit mounted in the vehicle and communicates to the tablet, or is the GPS unit suppose to be mounted in the tablet?

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember reading about an option where you can get a more basic Skyzmatic system. If I recall correctly, it said you can still get the 360 camera as well as a few other options. Just no internet (and other stuff?). If that's the case, I may look into getting it. Especially if the more basic option is only a one time payment and not a continuous monthly or yearly payment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom