• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I Would Like Elio To Consider Including A "shaved Door Handle"

nthawk68

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A shaved door handle could replace the standard door latch and electric door lock already planned, and save costs:

*Simpler mechanism, just a solenoid and some brackets.
*Readily available in marketplace from multiple sources
*Much easier to fabricate when considering the door recess for a conventional door handle
*Easier for everyone including the elderly and impaired to use
*Looks cool, could be one more novelty feature to promote sales
*Operated by a KeyFOB

What do you think?
No thanks, that would not be good after an ice storm or freezing fog like we had this AM. I mechanical everything. I hate the way electic gremlins like to mess with these types of things.

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is an interesting idea however ...it would also be a custom door assembly .

Even if the cost would end up being the same I bet EM would still choose the more traditional off the shelf assembly for parts support reasons and also because of the extra money which can be made selling the remote key fobs as an option.

I think this is a misunderstanding.

The Elio door IS a custom assembly already right? Door lock solenoids are already on the shelf commodity items, the approach is a net cost savings, even with the FOB.

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No thanks, that would not be good after an ice storm or freezing fog like we had this AM. I mechanical everything. I hate the way electic gremlins like to mess with these types of things.

Maybe there is a misunderstanding.

An ice storm freezes up even mechanical door latches, sometimes the door handle can even break during the event...why would this concern be exclusive to a door lock solenoid over a mechanical door handle to cause dismissal? No exterior door handle simplifies the assembly, would be of benefit in an ice storm situation, reduces initial cost and is overall a positive all around.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score

An ice storm freezes up even mechanical door latches, sometimes the door handle can even break during the event...why would this concern be exclusive to a door lock solenoid over a mechanical door handle to cause dismissal? No exterior door handle simplifies the assembly, would be of benefit in an ice storm situation, reduces initial cost and is overall a positive all around.

My problems with freezing rain/sleet is with the door weather seal freezing to the door sill. Could probably try something like Armor All or another silicon-base product to prevent this, but by the time I think about it, it's too friggin' cold outside to mess with it. Just need to convince the wife that I need a bigger garage (stuffed full of non-running Porsches).

nthawk68

Elio Addict
Reaction score

From the video, you push it in and th handle pops out and with 1'4 in ice over the handle assembly it wont pop out so there is nothing to grab... I am old school and like mechanical doors and windows, easier to repair or jury rig, electricla circuits limit you to remove and replace. the biggestg complaint I had with this handle is if it is ices over, how does it com out to be used.

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From the video, you push it in and th handle pops out and with 1'4 in ice over the handle assembly it wont pop out so there is nothing to grab... I am old school and like mechanical doors and windows, easier to repair or jury rig, electricla circuits limit you to remove and replace. the biggestg complaint I had with this handle is if it is ices over, how does it com out to be used.

'I am old school and like mechanical doors and windows'.
I'm old school as well.
Just had a new drivers side window motor put in, 200+ dollars, by a 'Shade Tree', wonder what Kia would have charged?
BTW, I wish Paul's father had had a good old 'Rail Road' watch instead of an Elgin.
What would have happened if his father had owned a Mickey Mouse or Betty Boop watch??lol
I'm still all in for a BASIC Elio, with trailer hitch.

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
it
From the video, you push it in and th handle pops out and with 1'4 in ice over the handle assembly it wont pop out so there is nothing to grab... I am old school and like mechanical doors and windows, easier to repair or jury rig, electricla circuits limit you to remove and replace. the biggest complaint I had with this handle is if it is ices over, how does it com out to be used.

Aha, there was a misunderstanding. Someone who responded posts a photo of the innovative Tesla door handle, this is not the 'shaved door handle' intended by the discussion - you were sidetracked. Lots of hot rods have 'shaved door handles' because the original cars door handles are 'shaved' off - removed - and replaced with the door solenoids (door poppers). Being a new design, if Elio incorporated this feature, the door handle would not be 'shaved' it would just never exist.

Imagine pushing a button on a fob and the door pops open just enough to grab it by its edge so you can open it and climb in the cabin. A door handle inside the car allows you to close it from inside and a switch inside locks or opens it again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom