• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Horse Power

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There was a song they used to play on 104 , "wet dream" I think it was. Was something about driving to work and blew a seal. They always played it when it was raining, made me smile :)
I freely admit there's not going to be enough Elio red meat News to keep our busy little minds occupied round here. I think it hilarious the topics that seem to take up the slack, so-to-speak, when politics and religion culture and philosophy are prohibited. But their I go again philosophizing. LOL Kind of like being in a cultural test tube and tested to see what else there is left. I think old Bowers spotted that his Indian posts had all been gutted so he got tired and split for a while. I think RU ended up answering his own question. If anyone remembers Spencer Tracy and Robert Young in "North West Passage". RU reminds me of the guy who always had that sack that no one was allowed to look into. Go ahead, RU, change your name to RI and then we'll all know you're just talking to yourself. LOL
Pardon me if I just happen to like nippy, zippy, and brisk exchanges. Oh.... and a Nippy Elio too.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I view quaint jargon and English terms as a little added spice. I must say I'm hooked on the point in times and culture portrayed in the "Dounton Abby" series. Is there a term called zippy similar to "nippy" there? Nippy, here, means cold. Perhaps both having the origin from the word "brisk" as a descriptor as in brisk weather or brisk performance of your car.
Try to avoid the U.K -"smashing"!!, as it applies to the E..

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Can't pinpoint the actual moment, but it appears to me that a little sarcasm was taken to heart and blood pressures rose rapidly. I've seen stuff like this happen before. It's kind of difficult, when the other party isn't physically present, to tell when they're just ribbing you a little.
Excellent point. Writing is dimensionally limited in this way. Though even face to face some continue to hide behind humor to vent their spleen. Sorry for the "vent your speen" jargon. LOL Poor old Goofy is left with all the refuse to clean up. LOL Although me thinks he cleans a little too much. For example, "We hold these truths to be self evident." is applicable in some he gutted. Pitty too many are not familiar with its origins. Not implying to Goofy's awareness here.

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Man it's a bit nippy here in TN too! I like the thread ebb and flow, kinda like sittin down at the local waterin hole and meargin into the flow. As is sometimes the case, I may step into a conversation I am not aware has become "intense". Just like to drop by see if theres anything new and have a little "goofin off" time. By the by, found my song

http://www.songlyrics.com/kip-addotta/wet-dream-lyrics/

Kip Addotta
Best Of Dr. Demento
Wet Dream:

It was April the 41st, being a quadruple leap year
I was driving in downtown Atlantis
My Barracuda was in the shop, so I was in a rented Stingray, and it was
overheating
So I pulled into a Shell station
They said I'd blown a seal
I said, "Fix the damn thing and leave my private life out of it, okay
pal?"

Ocean9000

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can't help it...

1 horsepower (mechanical)=

the amount of energy needed to lift 1 pound 33,000 feet in one minute
746.0 watts (electric motors)
745.7 watts or 550 pound-feet per sec. (in the US)
735.5 watts or 75 kilogram-metres per sec. (metric, I'm looking at you, Wheaters)

Horsepower = Torque (lb-ft) X RPM /5252

and BTW, food Calories are actually kcals (calories X 1000) and are determined by complete combustion in a bomb calorimeter

Arg!

Last edited:

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can't help it...

1 horsepower (mechanical)=

the amount of energy needed to lift 1 pound 33,000 feet in one minute
746.0 watts (electric motors)
745.7 watts or 550 pound-feet per sec. (in the US)
735.5 watts or 75 kilogram-metres per sec. (metric, I'm looking at you, Wheaters)

Horsepower = Torque (lb-ft) X RPM /5252

and BTW, food Calories are actually kcals (calories X 1000) and are determined by complete combustion in a bomb calorimeter

Arg!
Now, finally, that makes sense to me. Yu must be a mechanical engineer. right? and your electric motor has the advantage that it's torque is acquired almost immediately where as your internal combustible will develop the HP only at higher RPMs. That also means a one hp electric motor is drawing about 6.78 amps at 110 volts. Good info to know while checking the health of the e motor. I confess that I don't know how the long stroke engine Paul is advocating helps the gas mileage thingy.

Top Bottom