• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Here's An Idea

Ocean9000

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I will make no comment other than to relate what happened to me once at a PepBoy's. I was enquiring about the price and availability of EBC "greens" for a vehicle and the counter person told me "you don't know what you are talking about. brake pad material has no influence on stopping ability..."

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I will make no comment other than to relate what happened to me once a a PepBoy's. I was enquiring about the price and availability of EBC "greens" for a vehicle and the counter person told me "you don't knee what you are talking about. brake pad material has no influence on stopping ability..."

jawdrop.gif

oh%20my.gif

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes and No, My wife belongs to Women on Wheels, a female motorcycle riding group and they have chapters in Colorado Springs and Pueblo, Denver has not been able to keep a group working, It mainly depends on the dynamics and members of the group, not necessarily the size of the city. the CS group has members that drive from denver for meetings. I think that as the Elio is seen touring the state it is going to be popular statewide.
By the time you get up to Fort Collins, everything south of Longmont starts melting together as one big area that takes longer to get to than you really like. My mother has lived in central NJ her entire life and she calls everything within an hour of the city "New York"
FoCo does have a bit of a quirky car following however (there's one that drives around in a car that looks like a coffin, complete with being made out of pine!), so I can believe that once the Elio is actually on the roads there will be a few of them up here.

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would love to see hundreds or thousands of Elios all parked and running around together. Hopefully that will begin happening in about a year.:cool:

I am sure I am not the only one however I discussed having a factory sanctioned Elio Owners organization with Jerome Vassallo and he says it is something they are aware of and considering. I pretty much told him it was going to happen with or without them being involved and even pointed out several reasons why getting at least an initial framework in place now could be beneficial to EM from a business standpoint both before and after production begins.

I know these groups are already forming independently, mostly at the state level and organizing via Facebook, and if EM does not get involved an independent national group will also come together at some point as we near production or soon afterwards. I myself have helped organize the Facebook based Georgia Elio Owners Club and we have already had two meet & greet events with a third scheduled for February.
4066-6d972dd53a13308780ce9ca37270786c.jpgI agree with you Goofyone

Attachments

• clapping.gif
    clapping.gif
    54.7 KB · Views: 253

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I will make no comment other than to relate what happened to me once at a PepBoy's. I was enquiring about the price and availability of EBC "greens" for a vehicle and the counter person told me "you don't know what you are talking about. brake pad material has no influence on stopping ability..."
I must confess my sins. I deal exclusively with my local NAPA store, as they are very knowledgeable, and I always get the parts I need, even if they have to order them. A few years ago they hired a young, blonde, twenty something girl, and even though she wore worn jeans and a flannel shirt, she was just too young, cute and a GIRL for me to have enough trust to let her wait on me. I always stepped up to the counter in front of my favorite parts man. Shortly there after my old Chevy pickup quit charging, I checked it out and the alternator was putting out, but the regulator was bad. So I go down to the NAPA store and my favorite parts guy is busy, so I step up to the counter in front of another new GUY and say I need an internal regulator for a GM one wire alternator, he asks ''What year?", I say 'It doesn't matter what year they're all the same, OK 1968" He goes to the parts book, young blonde nubile, standing over his shoulder rolls her eyes, walks down an aisle pulls the part I need off the shelf, walks back up and puts it on the counter. She doesn't need a part number. Ok, she's earned my trust. I recently needed an "O" ring. I took the torn one down to the NAPA store and stepped up to her counter (her name is Shelly) and said 'I need to replace this 'O' ring'. She pulls the yellow plastic 'O' ring box out from under the counter, uses the fingernail of her left pinky finger to lift it off the plastic column it's stored on and hands it to me, I'm thinking 'Why the pinky finger instead of the index finger?' Then I notice, her Index, Bird, and Ring fingers are all missing from the first knuckle on, and I realize this lady has spent some time under the hood. (She lost them from a crankshaft pulley). Guess who my favorite counter person is now? I just wish I was 40 years younger.

Last edited:

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I must confess my sins. I deal exclusively with my local NAPA store, as they are very knowledgeable, and I always get the parts I need, even if they have to order them. A few years ago they hired a young, blonde, twenty something girl, and even though she wore worn jeans and a flannel shirt, she was just too young, cute and a GIRL for me to have enough trust to let her wait on me. I always stepped up to the counter in front of my favorite parts man. Shortly there after my old Chevy pickup quite charging, I checked it out and the alternator was putting out, but the regulator was bad. So I go down to the NAPA store and my favorite parts guy is busy, so I step up to the counter in front of another new GUY and say I need an internal regulator for a GM one wire alternator, he asks ''What year?", I say 'It doesn't matter what year they're all the same, OK 1968" He goes to the parts book, young blonde nubile, standing over his shoulder rolls her eyes, walks down an aisle pulls the part I need off the shelf, walks back up and puts it on the counter. She doesn't need a part number. Ok, she's earned my trust. I recently needed an "O" ring. I took the torn one down to the NAPA store and stepped up to her counter (her name is Shelly) and said 'I need to replace this 'O' ring'. She pulls the yellow plastic 'O' ring box out from under the counter, uses the fingernail of her left pinky finger to lift it off the plastic column it's stored on and hands it to me, I'm thinking 'Why the pinky finger instead of the index finger?' Then I notice, her Index, Bird, and Ring fingers are all missing from the first knuckle on, and I realize this lady has spent some time under the hood. (She lost them from a crankshaft pulley). Guess who my favorite counter person is now? I just wish I was 40 years younger.

Last edited by a moderator:

nthawk68

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I must confess my sins. I deal exclusively with my local NAPA store, as they are very knowledgeable, and I always get the parts I need, even if they have to order them. A few years ago they hired a young, blonde, twenty something girl, and even though she wore worn jeans and a flannel shirt, she was just too young, cute and a GIRL for me to have enough trust to let her wait on me. I always stepped up to the counter in front of my favorite parts man. Shortly there after my old Chevy pickup quite charging, I checked it out and the alternator was putting out, but the regulator was bad. So I go down to the NAPA store and my favorite parts guy is busy, so I step up to the counter in front of another new GUY and say I need an internal regulator for a GM one wire alternator, he asks ''What year?", I say 'It doesn't matter what year they're all the same, OK 1968" He goes to the parts book, young blonde nubile, standing over his shoulder rolls her eyes, walks down an aisle pulls the part I need off the shelf, walks back up and puts it on the counter. She doesn't need a part number. Ok, she's earned my trust. I recently needed an "O" ring. I took the torn one down to the NAPA store and stepped up to her counter (her name is Shelly) and said 'I need to replace this 'O' ring'. She pulls the yellow plastic 'O' ring box out from under the counter, uses the fingernail of her left pinky finger to lift it off the plastic column it's stored on and hands it to me, I'm thinking 'Why the pinky finger instead of the index finger?' Then I notice, her Index, Bird, and Ring fingers are all missing from the first knuckle on, and I realize this lady has spent some time under the hood. (She lost them from a crankshaft pulley). Guess who my favorite counter person is now? I just wish I was 40 years younger.
I spent 20 years in the AF as a helicopter mechanic and some of my best mechanics were female.... a few were the worst, but the ones that wanted to be a mechanic turned out to really put their heart and pride into it.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone who wants to be a good mechanic can be a good mechanic as the key is paying attention to how the systems should operate and interact with each other and learning where things are likely to go wrong. If you truly understand the systems and interactions you can generally diagnose the problem correctly the first time instead of just changing out parts until you happen across the solution.

My mother has likely never actually turned a wrench in an engine bay in her life yet, after I was already in high school, she learned to manage the day to day operations at our family owned auto repair shops and she could accurately diagnose the majority of the issues which came into the shop and assign the job to the techs best suited for that particular kind of work. She actually became so good at reading failed emissions smog testing reports and knowing what the likely causes of failure were that the techs would consult with her on these before taking a look at the actual vehicles.

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Anyone who wants to be a good mechanic can be a good mechanic as the key is paying attention to how the systems should operate and interact with each other and learning where things are likely to go wrong. If you truly understand the systems and interactions you can generally diagnose the problem correctly the first time instead of just changing out parts until you happen across the solution.

My mother has likely never actually turned a wrench in an engine bay in her life yet, after I was already in high school, she learned to manage the day to day operations at our family owned auto repair shops and she could accurately diagnose the majority of the issues which came into the shop and assign the job to the techs best suited for that particular kind of work. She actually became so good at reading failed emissions smog testing reports and knowing what the likely causes of failure were that the techs would consult with her on these before taking a look at the actual vehicles.
Smart Mother!:)She did good learning some things in Auto Repair Shop... Here I am not good in things like that except I can change oil and filter. I have finally learn how to change brake pad on my motorcycle. Thank Goodness. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom