• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Here I Am Happy In Seattle

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been alerted by my kids not to plan on traveling anywhere when there is a football game in town and for me being close to the UW stadium never on college game day!! (no matter the weather)
thanks for the wet weather advice. Good!! I left my Nor'-Easter/ hurricane foul weather gear behind.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been alerted by my kids not to plan on traveling anywhere when there is a football game in town and for me being close to the UW stadium never on college game day!! (no matter the weather)
thanks for the wet weather advice. Good!! I left my Nor'-Easter/ hurricane foul weather gear behind.
You'll have to wait to understand the rain in Seattle, it's not like regular, it's just this constant heavy drizzle and gray skies. You will get something like a regular rain storm at times, and there are times where you'll even get flooding (that comes later in winter).
You'll then understand why there are so many bars in and around Seattle; the winter rain is just depressing (you'll notice the depression most the second year you're here).
No snow to speak of unless it's a freak winter. If it does snow, put your feet up and relax, you're not driving anywhere. Just watch the circus on TV of other people doing what they think is driving. Plus if it does snow heavy, people will just abandon their vehicle where ever it gets stuck; middle of a main street, the freeway, no matter, they just turn it off, get out, lock the door, and walk away.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You'll have to wait to understand the rain in Seattle, it's not like regular, it's just this constant heavy drizzle and gray skies. You will get something like a regular rain storm at times, and there are times where you'll even get flooding (that comes later in winter).
You'll then understand why there are so many bars in and around Seattle; the winter rain is just depressing (you'll notice the depression most the second year you're here).
No snow to speak of unless it's a freak winter. If it does snow, put your feet up and relax, you're not driving anywhere. Just watch the circus on TV of other people doing what they think it driving. Plus if it does snow heavy, people will just abandon their vehicle where ever it gets stuck; middle of a main street, the freeway, no matter, they just turn it off, get out, lock the door, and walk away.
Do they give up their java and replace it with local, organic, micro-brews come the overcast? :-(
The bright light for me will be the birth of my grandchild November.
Coming from Florida, I get a giggle with all the sun tanning places, and Vitamin D sales!!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh hell no, Java in the morning, microbrew from noon on. A real Seattleite never gives up his or her coffee; why do you think everyone has the java pose? That's one arm held straight down, 90 degree bend at the elbow putting your forearm straight out, and partially open hand.

Is this your first grand kid, or another?

This has been a very unusual year here; summer started in May and really hasn't stopped since. Normally summer doesn't go into full swing until the 2nd week in July and then goes until about the 3rd week in September (sometimes up until October). The worst storms come around Thanksgiving; one year it knocked power out to over half the city on Thanksgiving Day; that was also the record for food poisoning and salmonella, mostly from uncooked or partially cooked Turkeys. There were also a record number of house fires; seemed a bunch of people got the bright idea to bring the barbeque indoors to finish cooking. What a bunch of brain dead people ........

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On the Rainer part, yes, the smoke means nothing at this point. Now if you start getting tremors of 3.5 to 4.0 then make sure you have your breathing filter handy. I live 38 miles away from St. Helens (the one that popped it's top last time) and it's quiet.

But..... There hasn't been a big earthquake in Seattle for a long time and you're past due. Last big one was in 2001 and that was a 6.2 and let me tell you it was rock'n and roll'n really good.

Galoshes? People will think you're some kind of foreigner visiting; if you want to look like a local, no umbrella, no galoshes. You wear sneakers or hiking boots, for outer wear it's Columbia Wear if you want to be a yuppie wanna be, a Kmart wind breaker if you want to fit in.

But most important it's Go Seahawks!!! Or Go Hawks!!
Being a Seahawks fan is mandatory; if you're not they could tar and feather you; or send you to Portland and you can be a Timberhawk fan (soccer).
Tar and and feather?, that's way too southern for Washitonians! Most do one of three things, throw a gooey-duck after you (not directly at you, bit old fashioned method), throw wet moss at your feet, or hold something water proof up between themselves and the 'uninformed' person.

And lets address the moodiness. There are two houses of Washington. One gets moody and falls back on their fire-place watching, and the other grabs multilayered clothing and gets out of the house for a romp outdoors. They go do stuff, anytime, any weather. Now our man above said he had a REI Gortex suit. That's a good start.I think he'll do OK. I've gone scuba-diving in February in Washington, so you know what house I belong to.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oh hell no, Java in the morning, microbrew from noon on. A real Seattleite never gives up his or her coffee; why do you think everyone has the java pose? That's one arm held straight down, 90 degree bend at the elbow putting your forearm straight out, and partially open hand.

Is this your first grand kid, or another?

This has been a very unusual year here; summer started in May and really hasn't stopped since. Normally summer doesn't go into full swing until the 2nd week in July and then goes until about the 3rd week in September (sometimes up until October). The worst storms come around Thanksgiving; one year it knocked power out to over half the city on Thanksgiving Day; that was also the record for food poisoning and salmonella, mostly from uncooked or partially cooked Turkeys. There were also a record number of house fires; seemed a bunch of people got the bright idea to bring the barbeque indoors to finish cooking. What a bunch of brain dead people ........
yep, my first, Know well the plight of the barbeque not only indoors when I was a volunteer fireman (upstate NY) we'd get a couple where the chef, not wanting to get wet moved the grill under the eave!! and the rest is history as they say. No problem with tainted meats/dairy/eggs here, I'm a vegan (good fit in Seattle), but when I'd mention it in Florida, I might as well said I have leprosy. The land of the all-you-can-eats buffet !!
I Enjoy the info and humor stay well
it's X:XL!!! time to turn in- up at 7 To do my daily once around Green Lake (2.8 miles) should be my first rain run.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
yep, my first, Know well the plight of the barbeque not only indoors when I was a volunteer fireman (upstate NY) we'd get a couple where the chef, not wanting to get wet moved the grill under the eave!! and the rest is history as they say. No problem with tainted meats/dairy/eggs here, I'm a vegan (good fit in Seattle), but when I'd mention it in Florida, I might as well said I have leprosy. The land of the all-you-can-eats buffet !!
I Enjoy the info and humor stay well
it's X:XL!!! time to turn in- up at 7 To do my daily once around Green Lake (2.8 miles) should be my first rain run.
So how was your run in the <snicker snicker> rain?

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So how was your run in the <snicker snicker> rain?
disappointing no rain-just overcast, now the sun's peeking thru. Tomorrow seems to be the challenge- wind +rain!
Gonna try my hand with public transportation this a.m. seems like a real easy shot downtown, not sure about the transfer from one bus to another

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
disappointing no rain-just overcast, now the sun's peeking thru. Tomorrow seems to be the challenge- wind +rain!
Gonna try my hand with public transportation this a.m. seems like a real easy shot downtown, not sure about the transfer from one bus to another
You know I actually figured out how to use a bike in Seattle as a commuter. I mean for distance on the street, even in winter. They didn't even have disk brakes back then. I traveled in over an hour on the bus using the bike rack. Then rode down hill a couple miles on 1st avenue and other streets.

The two tricks were, playing it safe with traffic, and when it was wet using my shoes on the ground as the brakes. This required I braced my calf against the petal, with my toes up a bit to help ride out the bumps. Bit of tricky skill, but became very easy and predictable. I could stop as fast as the cars could, when both feet were on the ground. Hey! it worked for ME.. :-)

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
50 + years of motorcycling all over- yet I'd NEVER considering riding a bicycle here, too,too risky.
Bus worked great a few stops and I was downtown, one transfer all worked in a timely fashion ( and with be being a senior, even better @ ($1.00 a trip vs. $2.50-2.75) For a city that professes less car use, the bus should be a lot cheaper IMO.

Top Bottom