• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Helmets On Military Installations

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread to gather information on Elio and their progression in regards to military installations. I ride my motorcycle on base to work and, of course, wear a helmet. All military installations require helmets to be worn by motorcyclist regardless of the state that the base is in. So, even if you are in Montana, you have to wear a helmet on base. Of course, that's the safe thing to do anyway which is why the military requires it by all members. (on AND off base) Now, of course there are people who don't wear helmets off base but they are supposed to. I remember while stationed in Montana, one of our guys was out drunk at 0200 near Sturgis and hit a pedestrian while on an on ramp to the highway (he was really drunk and so was the lady walking). They hit heads and he got killed. I don't remember if she died, sorry. Anyway, a helmet would have saved him that time though drinking and riding probably would have taken care of him eventually.

Now, my point. Since the Air Force (for instance) requires I wear a helmet when I ride a motorcycle, if I were to ever be in an accident without one, it could be bad... bad enough to affect survivor benefits perhaps. What if I'm driving my Elio? Will the Air Force require me to wear a helmet while driving it?

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread to gather information on Elio and their progression in regards to military installations. I ride my motorcycle on base to work and, of course, wear a helmet. All military installations require helmets to be worn by motorcyclist regardless of the state that the base is in. So, even if you are in Montana, you have to wear a helmet on base. Of course, that's the safe thing to do anyway which is why the military requires it by all members. (on AND off base) Now, of course there are people who don't wear helmets off base but they are supposed to. I remember while stationed in Montana, one of our guys was out drunk at 0200 near Sturgis and hit a pedestrian while on an on ramp to the highway (he was really drunk and so was the lady walking). They hit heads and he got killed. I don't remember if she died, sorry. Anyway, a helmet would have saved him that time though drinking and riding probably would have taken care of him eventually.

Now, my point. Since the Air Force (for instance) requires I wear a helmet when I ride a motorcycle, if I were to ever be in an accident without one, it could be bad... bad enough to affect survivor benefits perhaps. What if I'm driving my Elio? Will the Air Force require me to wear a helmet while driving it?

Wonder how the implementation of Sen. David Vitter's S.685 - Autocycle Safety Act might impact those rules?

Sr.MailMan

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
If your state of motor vehicle registration/license plate is the same definition as a passenger car & autocycle, the Provost Marshal will have to amend the base passenger car definition to include autocycle too. Motorcycle would stay the same.

If they refuse... Just get one of those DOT approved beanies for passing through the gate.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If your state of motor vehicle registration/license plate is the same definition as a passenger car & autocycle, the Provost Marshal will have to amend the base passenger car definition to include autocycle too. Motorcycle would stay the same.

If they refuse... Just get one of those DOT approved beanies for passing through the gate.

In correct the Post commander would be the authority. The base is under no obligation to comply with state law they will follow only federal regulation.
Military bases requiring helmets is nothing new. All military personal are also required to complete an approved motorcycle safety course. There are also other minor requirements placed on riders.
If federal reqs say Elio is a motorcycle then it is a motorcycle on post regardless of what the state says.
Post commanders have some wiggle room with federal regs but not a lot Provost Marshal falls under his command.
No LEO may carry a weapon on any military post at any time with out agreement in advance from the post Commander. I know a couple LEO that found that out the had way.

Past Fanatic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
ALL military bases,and DoD facilities require the wearing of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) for all military or DoD civilian personnel riding motorcycles on their property! PPE includes; approved helmet, eye protection, footwear above the ankles, long-sleeved shirt or jacket, long trousers, and full-fingered gloves or mittens made from leather or other abrasion-resistant material. Some installations have also added a brightly colored/reflective outer vest! I informed Elio Motors of this regulation over two years ago and personally contacted, Joel Sheltrown, VP of Governmental Affairs, and provided him the address and email for the OPR (Office of Primary Responsibility) for the DoD regulation, over a year ago. The only 'response' from Joel, was an email (a year ago) saying that he did not get any reply from his initial correspondence.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
ALL military bases,and DoD facilities require the wearing of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) for all military or DoD civilian personnel riding motorcycles on their property! PPE includes; approved helmet, eye protection, footwear above the ankles, long-sleeved shirt or jacket, long trousers, and full-fingered gloves or mittens made from leather or other abrasion-resistant material. Some installations have also added a brightly colored/reflective outer vest! I informed Elio Motors of this regulation over two years ago and personally contacted, Joel Sheltrown, VP of Governmental Affairs, and provided him the address and email for the OPR (Office of Primary Responsibility) for the DoD regulation, over a year ago. The only 'response' from Joel, was an email (a year ago) saying that he did not get any reply from his initial correspondence.

Wonder how the implementation of US Sen. David Vitter's S.685 - Autocycle Safety Act might impact those rules?
Keep in mind that Vitter's bill defines a new class of vehicle.

Johnapool

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Hey, just get one of the smallest skull-caps that's legal, carry it with you and put it on at the gate. And, if they find you in a wreck, there is the helmet- musta been knocked off by the impact.....

Sr.MailMan

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Please excuse My ignorance as to base policy. My tour was in the early '60s in Europe.
Although I wore an approved helmet, a passenger could get away with a WW2 helmet liner!
I guess things were a little "lax" back then.

Inigo93

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The base is under no obligation to comply with state law they will follow only federal regulation.

Depends on the base. As an example counter to the general rule... The local base here was once upon a time on State-owned land. When the base was created the state turned over the land with an asterisk. The asterisk said that law enforcement would be performed by a civilian organization and that state law would be adhered to. 70 years later we still have civilian LEOs on this base (MPs? WTF are MPs?), we most certainly are held to state law, and if you get pulled over on base you will likely find yourself in a civilian traffic court off base.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Depends on the base. As an example counter to the general rule... The local base here was once upon a time on State-owned land. When the base was created the state turned over the land with an asterisk. The asterisk said that law enforcement would be performed by a civilian organization and that state law would be adhered to. 70 years later we still have civilian LEOs on this base (MPs? WTF are MPs?), we most certainly are held to state law, and if you get pulled over on base you will likely find yourself in a civilian traffic court off base.

Each post makes agreements with local LEO. That is not an issue . However without one the my statement stands and that is on any Military post.
I know what I am talking about in this case. . Where LE find them self in trouble is like the two I know of personally. they came to a post to attend a training class. There was no agreement with their department. The weapons were found and they were arrested. Their claim that being LEO allowed them to have them was denied. After 24 hours the post command ordered their release. He felt they got the message.
Most post offer two options on traffic violation on shared roads depending on who stops you.
Using private security or local LE is an agreement used to fill a social program where military bases hire a percentage of locals. It also fill the gap for a shortage of troops.
Having an agreement does not remove the regulation . It allows exception .
try riding on a post in a state that does not require a helmet see how far state law gets you.

Top Bottom